Spinning for trout

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Carpkingpike
Stickleback
Stickleback

Spinning for trout

Post by Carpkingpike »

Got a lot of small streams near me that are stuffed with little brown trout, had a few good days this year spinning for them but I'm a bit overgunned with my rod and reel. Plan is to get the missus to sort me a new dedicated ultralight set up for Christmas. Any recommendations from you guys :cheers:
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Spinning for trout

Post by Taffypiker »

OK , not an expert but fish locally for wild brownies up to about 2 pound but mostly small fish

I assume you will be using up to 6 g spinners etc

My reels are basic entry shimano fx 2000 , Abu Cardinal 51

For trout I use 7 foot abu devil spin , 5 to 15 g , Shimano Catana 3 to 21 g

Obviously you can go very light and also spend more but I don't see the point

The rivers locally used to be stocked and had a wild head of brownies but now NRA policy seems to be to discourage stocking as firstly the stockies are greedy buggers and grab all the food and secondly in floods get washed downstream as they are weak , time will tell if its the right way forward , I personally think just like coarse fishing trout need regular restocking .
Carpkingpike
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Carpkingpike »

Thanks for the reply pal, I'm looking at the Abu devil but the 2-10g. The little stream I've been fishing is not stocked where I fish it but is about 3 miles downstream, plenty of small brownies, a 2 pounder would dwarf most of them. Have really enjoyed it though so am looking at a local syndicate with a view to spinning on their river if the fly anglers will let me next year. I've found Ive enjoyed it much more than lugging a load of gear about so I've not even got the carp or deadbait gear out this year!
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

I'd try fly fishing for them. Much more fun. Spinning for them is by far too easy! And not that sporting!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Carpkingpike wrote: Tue Dec 07 2021 07:27 -
Thanks for the reply pal, I'm looking at the Abu devil but the 2-10g. The little stream I've been fishing is not stocked where I fish it but is about 3 miles downstream, plenty of small brownies, a 2 pounder would dwarf most of them. Have really enjoyed it though so am looking at a local syndicate with a view to spinning on their river if the fly anglers will let me next year. I've found Ive enjoyed it much more than lugging a load of gear about so I've not even got the carp or deadbait gear out this year!

Hi and welcome.
Its clear you are very new to trout fishing.
Most clubs, syndicates and day fisheries that offer trout fishing do not allow any other method than fly fishing, my advice is the first make some serious enquiries before buying tackle you can only use in very limited places.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Devil spin are nice rods for the price I think

Are there any perch or pike in the stream ?
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Mike J wrote: Tue Dec 07 2021 10:29 -

Hi and welcome.
Most clubs, syndicates and day fisheries that offer trout fishing do not allow any other method than fly fishing, my advice is the first make some serious enquiries before buying tackle you can only use in very limited places.

My two local rivers have coarse fish mostly in the lower reaches and are mixed fisheries lower down .

Spinning is allowed
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Taffypiker wrote: Tue Dec 07 2021 10:54 -

Hi and welcome.

My two local rivers have coarse fish mostly in the lower reaches and are mixed fisheries lower down .

Spinning is allowed

Interesting.
So your saying where you fish you have got trout and coarse fish together and spinning is permitted even if iys clear your targeting trout?
Are you allowed to take the trout to eat and if so do you have bag limits?
Do you have any close seasons or restrictions on the baits you can use?
Do the Welsh Autorites require you to submit a catch record?

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Carpkingpike
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Carpkingpike »

Where I've been fishing before has a mixture of coarse and trout and is a small stream running through a friends farm, I don't take any fish but don't believe my pal has a problem with it. The syndicate I'm interested in joining has both aswell, currently no spinning allowed but I have been helping out with work party's etc. It will be discussed at the agm so hopefully I've got a decent chance, if not I've no problem with learning to fly fish
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

Done a fair bit of this. Savage gear do rods designed for it. Mine is an older model 6ft 0-5g and I use it for larger trout downstream also. Size 00 and size 0 mepps and vibrax. I prefer light braid. If it’s just small wildies I’d go for even lighter rod 0-2g and use only 00 mepps. If there’s a lot of undergrowth a 5ft rod is even better but hard to find one in uk.
Have a look at spro for micro spinning reels under 1000 size.
The skill is in the accurate casting. Use barbless hooks and wear glasses as they are very adept at throwing the spinner back at you. It’s great fun and you feel like a pro when you make those ultra tight casts and also like a complete a**e when it lands in the tree. Waders to retrieve lures.

https://savage-gear.com/products/rods/f ... /-0-2g/sul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpkingpike
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Carpkingpike »

Ah, you've just bought me on to my next question! Waders? Is there much difference between neoprene and the other types? I've been offered some neoprene ones f.o.c from my brother who bought them to clear out his garden pond! Bit overkill it's only a couple of feet deep 😂. Will spend my lunch break looking for a reel now
Many thanks for the help guys
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Mike J wrote: Tue Dec 07 2021 11:03 -

Hi and welcome.

Spinning is allowed

Interesting.
So your saying where you fish you have got trout and coarse fish together and spinning is permitted even if iys clear your targeting trout?

Yes , there is no requirement to use a light wire trace but there should be . The club that owns the middle reaches of one river says that there is not enough of a pike population to justify wire traces but that's nonsense in my view , I e mailed the top guns , didn't get a reply

Trout , Perch , Chub , Pike

2 fish limit for trout but catch and return is encouraged

Catch reports encouraged

You can fish with spinner for trout from March to end of September

Spinning for pike is allowed on rivers from start of UK river coarse season to end of season March
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Taffypiker wrote: Tue Dec 07 2021 00:02 -
OK , not an expert but fish locally for wild brownies up to about 2 pound but mostly small fish

The rivers locally used to be stocked and had a wild head of brownies but now NRA policy seems to be to discourage stocking as firstly the stockies are greedy buggers and grab all the food and secondly in floods get washed downstream as they are weak , time will tell if its the right way forward , I personally think just like coarse fishing trout need regular restocking .
I binned an abu devil spin , "5 to 15 g" I think - floppier than overcooked spaghetti, even with a 3g lure!
So I dread to think what the 2-10g would be like.
Peter Newman
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

Mike J wrote: Tue Dec 07 2021 11:03 -

Hi and welcome.

Spinning is allowed

Interesting.

I fish the upper reaches of the same river where it is just trout there’s no coarse fish present until further down and it’s fly, worm or spin following the traditional river trout season. There’s a couple of small fly only stretches but these wouldn’t be suitable for anything else anyway. Think the bag limit is 4 but catch and release is encouraged especially since they no longer stock it. From what I can see the EA advice to stop stocking is working extremely well.
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

peteren wrote: Tue Dec 07 2021 16:02 -
Taffypiker wrote: Tue Dec 07 2021 00:02 -

I binned an abu devil spin , "5 to 15 g" I think - floppier than overcooked spaghetti, even with a 3g lure!
So I dread to think what the 2-10g would be like.
It's fair to say it's got a progressive action but I have found it OK for small trout
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

Pinkie wrote: Tue Dec 07 2021 10:04 -
I'd try fly fishing for them. Much more fun. Spinning for them is by far too easy! And not that sporting!
I'd try fly fishing for them. Fair enough. Much more fun. Matter of opinion surely, and you are entitled to yours no matter how misguided. Spinning for them is by far too easy! b******s. And not that sporting ! F u c k Off ! Or should I say matter of opinion surely !

Just my opinion.

Will.
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Will Smith wrote: Tue Dec 07 2021 19:58 -
I'd try fly fishing for them. Fair enough. Much more fun. Matter of opinion surely, and you are entitled to yours no matter how misguided. Spinning for them is by far too easy! b******s. And not that sporting ! F u c k Off ! Or should I say matter of opinion surely !

Just my opinion.

Will.
Chill out before you have a heart attack! The fact that you took my opinion so personally says volumes about you! Try fly fishing for trout for a few hours compared to spinning and you'll get a better insight into what I wrote. Better than blowing your top off over something so trivial! :laughs:

Obviously debateing isn't one of your strengths! :laughs:

Too easy and not sporting! Why do you think spinning for trout is banned on many waters? Because it really is too easy compared to fly fishing and this is what makes it not sporting! It's akin to trotting for trout with maggots. :laughs:

Just my opinion so calm yourself down! :laughs:
Last edited by Pinkie on Tue Dec 07 2021 22:00, edited 2 times in total.
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

I prefer spinning to fly fishing , its a very skillful art , I have caught fish on the fly but I prefer to appeal to the darker side of trout .....and you generally get bigger ones on spinner round here
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Taffypiker wrote: Tue Dec 07 2021 21:37 -
I prefer spinning to fly fishing , its a very skillful art , I have caught fish on the fly but I prefer to appeal to the darker side of trout .....and you generally get bigger ones on spinner round here

....... I bet you catch more as well!! But I guess it takes skill to target the bigger fish!

A good friend of mine is crazy about fly fishing for trout in Wales and regularly catches big Brownies over 4lb. He says it's all about location, but there is much more to it than that, he doesn't just cast out and hope for the best, he really knows how to work the fly and to cast very accurately! I'd tell you where but for the forum rules.

I'm quite new to fly fishing so I more enjoy the challenge! Each to their own eh!

My son who's very much into fly fishing would break my spinning rods if I ever used them to catch trout! :laughs: He's even banned me from using a fly spoon!

Had great fun a few weeks back on Chew fly fishing for pike and then rainbow trout. We would have easily caught more spinning though! Although of course on a small river casting a spinner needs to be accurate, so not comparable to Chew in any way!
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

I find there is too much faffing around with fly fishing

And of course its best at dusk as the sun goes down

Brown trout once they become of decent size shift away from flies etc and become predatory

Although the small ones are savage as well !

My local small river has plenty of trout to 4 pound and they are often caught on fly though
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

Pinkie wrote: Tue Dec 07 2021 21:33 -

Just my opinion.

Will.
It's akin to trotting for trout with maggots. :laughs:

Let’s be honest some modern nymphing techniques are basically trotting maggots!
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Slug wrote: Wed Dec 08 2021 02:05 -

Just my opinion.

Will.

Depends how you do it. If you use one of those brightly coloured tiny floating bite indicators then you're nearly there. I haven't used that technique for several years, but when I did I used a bit of freshly collected wool from barbed wire; the Yorkshire way! My friend who's an expert just watches the line and its nothing like trotting. He sees bites most anglers would miss! :laughs:

I mostly do my fly fishing for trout in the wilds of Scotland on remote lochs.
Last edited by Pinkie on Wed Dec 08 2021 09:21, edited 1 time in total.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Just my opinion.

Will.

Err, sorry but I beg to differ.
Ive had the pleasure to watch some of the Uk's very best nymph anglers fish for Grayling and it is in no way comparable to trotting maggots.

Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

Mike J wrote: Wed Dec 08 2021 09:21 -

Just my opinion.

Will.

Ive had the pleasure to watch some of the Uk's very best nymph anglers fish for Grayling and it is in no way comparable to trotting maggots.

Of course it is!
These same fly only snobs will not say a word to they fellow anglers who take fish every time they’re on the river all season long. A trout population needs balance. For the same reasons we preach here regarding pike if you take the larger fish out of the pyramid what happens?
Anyway come the winter they’re trotting maggots for grayling catching trout out of season.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Slug wrote: Wed Dec 08 2021 11:04 -
Mike J wrote: Wed Dec 08 2021 09:21 -

Just my opinion.

Will.

Of course it is!
These same fly only snobs will not say a word to they fellow anglers who take fish every time they’re on the river all season long. A trout population needs balance. For the same reasons we preach here regarding pike if you take the larger fish out of the pyramid what happens?
Anyway come the winter they’re trotting maggots for grayling catching trout out of season.

Of course it is not, your speaking like someone who has had some very unfortunate experiences.

I fly fish one of the most famous chalk streams in England where upstream dry fly is the only method permitted, over a year I meet many UK anglers plus visitors from all over the world and Ive yet to meet a 'snob' or anything like, even when Im guiding.

I agree some anglers always want something in return, maybe its to prove to whoever that actually went fishing or that they really do catch fish? But isnt that why our fisheries are managed, stockies on every beat for duffers fortnight, the big sulkers for those who only cast to a rising fish.
In truth none of us can state what a genuine wild fishery really should be because there is no baseline of what our rivers were like before man arrived on the scene.

As for out of season, does that include the pike I catch while spey fishing for salmon?

Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Biggest danger to wild trout in rivers, according to the WTT, are stockies. Stockies out compete most of the wild trout for food and then 90% of what's left die off during the winter. So it's best all round if anglers take out stockies for the table as they're only stocked into rivers for sport and the table.
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

Just my opinion.

Will.
Chill out before you have a heart attack! The fact that you took my opinion so personally says volumes about you! Try fly fishing for trout for a few hours compared to spinning and you'll get a better insight into what I wrote. Better than blowing your top off over something so trivial! :laughs:

Too easy and not sporting! Why do you think spinning for trout is banned on many waters? Because it really is too easy compared to fly fishing and this is what makes it not sporting! It's akin to trotting for trout with maggots. :laughs:

Chill out before you have a heart attack! Perfectly chilled thank you.The fact that you took my opinion so personally says volumes about you! Does it, that is interesting, however, I did not take your comments personally at all. Try fly fishing for trout for a few hours compared to spinning and you'll get a better insight into what I wrote. I have fly fished for many hours for trout, my original comments still stand, Better than blowing your top off over something so trivial! :laughs: Certainly did not blow my top.

Obviously debateing isn't one of your strengths! :laughs: Perhaps not, however I have found that trying to debating anything with certain individuals is futile.

Too easy and not sporting! Again, may I say b******s ! Why do you think spinning for trout is banned on many waters? IMO, because of the ethos and attitude of many fly fishing clubs. Because it really is too easy compared to fly fishing and this is what makes it not sporting! No easier to catch with spinner than fly IMO, I have been outfished by fly fishers an many an occasion. Its akin to trotting for trout with maggots :laughs: . If you say so, you are sure to be correct !

Just my opinion so calm yourself down! :laughs: Which as I said, you are perfectly entitled to.

Will.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Will Smith wrote: Wed Dec 08 2021 12:38 -

Just my opinion.

Will.

Chill out before you have a heart attack! Perfectly chilled thank you.The fact that you took my opinion so personally says volumes about you! Does it, that is interesting, however, I did not take your comments personally at all. Try fly fishing for trout for a few hours compared to spinning and you'll get a better insight into what I wrote. I have fly fished for many hours for trout, my original comments still stand, Better than blowing your top off over something so trivial! :laughs: Certainly did not blow my top.

Obviously debateing isn't one of your strengths! :laughs: Perhaps not, however I have found that trying to debating anything with certain individuals is futile.

Too easy and not sporting! Again, may I say b******s ! Why do you think spinning for trout is banned on many waters? IMO, because of the ethos and attitude of many fly fishing clubs. Because it really is too easy compared to fly fishing and this is what makes it not sporting! No easier to catch with spinner than fly IMO, I have been outfished by fly fishers an many an occasion. Its akin to trotting for trout with maggots :laughs: . If you say so, you are sure to be correct !

Just my opinion so calm yourself down! :laughs: Which as I said, you are perfectly entitled to.

Will.

Will,

Having met you, your a proper old skool country dressed gent, a little like Bilbo Baggins in Tweed. :grin: Just foe the c**t as I have, all he is good for is winding people up. And upskirting pupils where he works. :thumbs:
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

:laughs: :laughs: :hump:
Gary Coggon
Roach
Roach

Post by Gary Coggon »

Very much as Slug has said. My UL outfit for the small (rarely reach a pound) but beautiful brown trout in the high Cumbrian tarns is a 1-5 g, 6’3” Savage Gear Parabellum, 1000-size Shimano Sahara reel and 10 lb Powerpro braid, which’ll flick a 00 to 1 Mepps, 3.5 cm Salmo Hornet or 4g Toby 20 or so metres quite nicely. One thing I’d add is to think about balancing casting power vs ‘give’ to counter trout’s tendency to hit, do acrobatics and throw the hook. Softness of the Parabellum helps markedly with hook-up rate. Oh, and consider reducing trebles to one or two points. I do it by bending the points inwards to touch the shank, so preserving casting weight. Hope that helps….
Gary Coggon