Why don't perch take deadbaits then ?

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Why don't perch take deadbaits then ?

Post by Taffypiker »

stubbojo wrote: Tue Dec 14 2021 22:51 -
Taffypiker wrote: Tue Dec 14 2021 21:15 -
stubbojo wrote: Tue Dec 14 2021 20:06 -
Taffypiker wrote: Tue Dec 14 2021 11:34 -
My best perch have come on perch looking lures
i have watched perch feeding at really close range and on the water wolf , on waters i fish they hunt down and feed predominately on small perch about 50mm in size
this is perch over the 1lb mark , but they will take quite large live roach...... as i found out earlier in the year :pipe:
Whenever I bring in a perch imitation lure , small perch follow it in , nipping at it
they like eating there own without a doubt :thumbs:
Like the Welsh
Drift take
Roach
Roach

Post by Drift take »

I caught a 3lb perch on a small deadbait roach on the bottom. They do take them.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Drift take wrote: Sun Dec 26 2021 14:19 -
I caught a 3lb perch on a small deadbait roach on the bottom. They do take them.
caught a few myself on deads over the years...
JCJ
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by JCJ »

Just joined so pardon me for replying so late to the thread.

Perch will take fresh deads but I have found that they tend to prefer 'popped up' dead bait over 'flat'.

All of my largest Perch have fallen to live bait.

In terms of tackle scale, all my largest Perch were taken on gear intended for Pike.
I would suggest that, whatever method you go for, you assume that a large Pike will mess up your plan.

My point being that large Perch don't seem to care about the scale of your tackle but a full set-up
will protect you from larger predators. And Carp. They will take a popped up DB too.

Perch seem, to me, to be visual hunters. Fresh, moving, food seems to be their preference. They don't
seem to care that you have 20lb line, a 28lb trace and a size 2 hook.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

my mate had a 3lb perch on a wafter intended for carp .......he has since fished large worm baits for perch......to zero catch
my perch venue has some decent pike that do sometimes spoil things but you cant have it all ...i always use wire for my perch fishing......bar one venue
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

JCJ wrote: Mon Apr 11 2022 19:29 -
Just joined so pardon me for replying so late to the thread.

Perch will take fresh deads but I have found that they tend to prefer 'popped up' dead bait over 'flat'.

All of my largest Perch have fallen to live bait.

In terms of tackle scale, all my largest Perch were taken on gear intended for Pike.
I would suggest that, whatever method you go for, you assume that a large Pike will mess up your plan.

My point being that large Perch don't seem to care about the scale of your tackle but a full set-up
will protect you from larger predators. And Carp. They will take a popped up DB too.

Perch seem, to me, to be visual hunters. Fresh, moving, food seems to be their preference. They don't
seem to care that you have 20lb line, a 28lb trace and a size 2 hook.
Have you tried prawns on a loafer float for perch ?
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

I had a winter out of Piking a few years back and targeted Perch when I'd become a little incapacitated due to a back injury. My approach was pretty much mini Piking and I was blessed with prolific fishing on my local (at the time) rivers and a couple of pits, where it was genuinely more likely to catch a 3 pounder than a 2! It was often quite visual fishing and for the most part around structure, bridges and pontoons. The Perch loved a live bait and Gudgeon seemed to out fish the others I used (Roach, Rudd and minnows if I couldn't get BIGGER baits)? I found they liked a quite BIG bait too and 2 or 3 ounces and occasionally 4 would be engulfed quite readily. What seemed to be key for success was that if there was more than 1 Perch present they'd seemingly compete for the bait and if there happened to be several Perch present then and only then would they take dead bait but I did have to twitch it too! There will for sure be exceptions but that's how I found it.
perchbrace.jpg
(It was phenomenal fishing face)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

you cant beat a big perch dave , your right they will take a good sized fish bait
a piking session ,proved just that fishing quite large baits intended for pike .....found some lovely perch in the swim
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Dave Horton wrote: Sat May 21 2022 15:58 -
I had a winter out of Piking a few years back and targeted Perch when I'd become a little incapacitated due to a back injury. My approach was pretty much mini Piking and I was blessed with prolific fishing on my local (at the time) rivers and a couple of pits, where it was genuinely more likely to catch a 3 pounder than a 2! It was often quite visual fishing and for the most part around structure, bridges and pontoons. The Perch loved a live bait and Gudgeon seemed to out fish the others I used (Roach, Rudd and minnows if I couldn't get BIGGER baits)? I found they liked a quite BIG bait too and 2 or 3 ounces and occasionally 4 would be engulfed quite readily. What seemed to be key for success was that if there was more than 1 Perch present they'd seemingly compete for the bait and if there happened to be several Perch present then and only then would they take dead bait but I did have to twitch it too! There will for sure be exceptions but that's how I found it.

perchbrace.jpg

Awesome brace of perch there Dave! :thumbs:
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

piker al wrote: Sun Jun 05 2022 18:08 -

perchbrace.jpg

Thanks Al!

(8lbs of Perch there face)
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Dave Horton wrote: Sun Jun 05 2022 19:06 -

perchbrace.jpg

Thanks Al!

Aye they look massive! Perch the biggest fish of all! :thumbs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

piker al wrote: Mon Jun 06 2022 10:44 -

perchbrace.jpg

Thanks Al!

I think whale sharks would disagree. :joker:
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

davelumb wrote: Mon Jun 06 2022 10:50 -

perchbrace.jpg

Thanks Al!

Ok maybe not that big, I was quoting Dick walker :laughs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

piker al wrote: Mon Jun 06 2022 12:04 -

perchbrace.jpg

Thanks Al!

Goes to show he didn't know much! :giggle:
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

davelumb wrote: Mon Jun 06 2022 12:15 -
piker al wrote: Mon Jun 06 2022 12:04 -

perchbrace.jpg

Thanks Al!

Goes to show he didn't know much! :giggle:
We really need some more emojis !

Will.
LlyrEdwards
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by LlyrEdwards »

I’ve caught plenty of decent perch ( up to 3lb 15 ) on dead roach when fishing for eels. I’d always prefer a live roach or my personal fave perch bait is a king prawn.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

dont know about you guys a prefer a perch from a natural water , not a commercial type water they look washed out, grey
ouchthathurt
Roach
Roach

Post by ouchthathurt »

When I was younger, I used to catch nice perch on this estate lake fishing under the rod tips up against a brick wall, using small roach deadbaits to a size 8 carp hook on 15lb wonderwire. They were 1-2” roach netted out the margins. I didn’t appreciate just how good that perch fishing was at the time, wish I could find the place now!
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

When you use King prawns do u put it on with bait elastic ?

And what size hook ?
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Taffypiker wrote: Wed Nov 30 2022 19:38 -

And what size hook ?
I use a four generaly, they work well either threaded on or on a hair with a big hair stop, great bait👍
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

suffolk si wrote: Wed Nov 30 2022 22:53 -

And what size hook ?
I use a four generaly, they work well either threaded on or on a hair with a big hair stop, great bait👍
Is it worth soaking them in additives or attractant?
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Taffypiker wrote: Wed Nov 30 2022 22:59 -

And what size hook ?
I’ve never bothered,not worth it in my opinion they are pretty smelly anyway
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

suffolk si wrote: Wed Nov 30 2022 23:12 -
Taffypiker wrote: Wed Nov 30 2022 22:59 -

And what size hook ?
I’ve never bothered,not worth it in my opinion they are pretty smelly anyway
I have thought of using dried sprats from the pet stores , they are on the smaller side , almost like whitebait ?

I have always found it hard to believe perch do not have a scavenger side to their nature like pike and chub and even trout sometimes ?