Live bait rigs for Perch.

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
gus666
Zander
Zander
Location: Auld Ayr, wham ne'er a toon surpasses, For Honest Men and bonnie lassies...

Re: Live bait rigs for Perch.

Post by gus666 »

merlin wrote:
I cant see the point in using a treble at all for perch. lip hooked single, strike instantly
Yep, me too Mark. Trebles don't give you any advantage IMO, just heartache trying to get them out. Big single's perfect.
I like the very small Drennan pike bungs for livebaiting, no shot required, just fish free roving, with a 3" perch the best bait by a mile.
Certainly, we don't really have gudgeon up here, but small perch are deadly.
ChristopherH
Barbel
Barbel

Post by ChristopherH »

I've found single hooks to be majorly inefficient myself and if there's one shoal species of which you don't want a bumped off fish it is perch.

I'll use a double in most cases but if the baits are a little bigger and if I can see the takes I don't think you can beat a small treble in the bait's lip. They improve hooking ratios by a massive margin for me.

Despite being my favourite tactic there's no doubt that a free roving float offers the greatest opportunity for a deep-hooked perch. Prudent shotting helps but the mechanics of the method leave it open to perch gulping the bait before giving an indication on the float. I tend to use free rovers in close fishing situations where I can often see the perch chase the bait up and grab it. To be fair that's how I catch the vast majority of my perch anyway.
From SAS to SOS. YNWTL

My Pictures
pete webster
Barbel
Barbel

Post by pete webster »

Cracking thread keep it up guys.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Been targeting them specifically recently ive been using an 8g loafer with a drilled bullet and only using one float stop to set to depth so i can jig up through the float a little beside the canal wall, lip hooked roach or perch on a single with a fine trace wire(still looking for finer). has had me 2 x 1lb'ers so far. had a 2lb pike earlier today too :roll:

ive been tweaking and twitching my bait more than just letting it fish itself, it definitely invokes that smash and grab thing perch like to do with a moving bait. i watched a few large perch go around my bait but not take much interest. as soon as i made that bait dance a bit more they were on it instantly.

One my best looking perch fell to a 6" dead broonie meant for pike. 2lb 9oz it went.
gus666
Zander
Zander
Location: Auld Ayr, wham ne'er a toon surpasses, For Honest Men and bonnie lassies...

Post by gus666 »

Andrew Croft wrote:
Been targeting them specifically recently ive been using an 8g loafer with a drilled bullet and only using one float stop to set to depth so i can jig up through the float a little beside the canal wall, lip hooked roach or perch on a single with a fine trace wire(still looking for finer). has had me 2 x 1lb'ers so far. had a 2lb pike earlier today too :roll:

ive been tweaking and twitching my bait more than just letting it fish itself, it definitely invokes that smash and grab thing perch like to do with a moving bait. i watched a few large perch go around my bait but not take much interest. as soon as i made that bait dance a bit more they were on it instantly.

One my best looking perch fell to a 6" dead broonie meant for pike. 2lb 9oz it went.
It's fairly common Andrew. Know lots of folk who've had them.
But never happened to me despite my preference for smaller pike baits!
:roll:
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

Ash m wrote:
Some nice fat perch their Danny! (Want me one)
Nearly miss read that one Mr Ash man :scratch:
Thought you where saying Danny was a fatty :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
Some cracking fish there :thumbs:

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson :smile:

To that one soul reading this
I know your tired fed up and close to braking
But theres strength within you even when you feel week
You've come too far to give up now
Stay strong and keep fighting
Ash m
Zander
Zander

Post by Ash m »

image.jpg
Got me a good un recently grant with help of mr woodchucker :thumbs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

That was a nice fish pal, just wish it had been one ounce bigger for you :sad:
Perch are scared of wire, dont make me laugh!
Ash m
Zander
Zander

Post by Ash m »

I was more than happy, not greedy!
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Post by dannytaylor »

Very nice ash she's a cracker. Trolled lure?
Ash m
Zander
Zander

Post by Ash m »

Jigged, my second ever jigged perch was that beauty (amateur lure angler)