Tidal Zeds

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Dave H
Roach
Roach

Tidal Zeds

Post by Dave H »

Have been thinking of having a go for Zeds for the first time this year on a tidal river. I was wondering if the tide made any difference to the feeding times like it does the barbel on there as they only seem to come out on the run off and an hour after the tide has changed. I will be mainly bait fishing for them but will also be trying with the lures.

Any help appreciated.
Brassneck
Perch
Perch

Re: Tidal Zeds

Post by Brassneck »

If you are fishing the lower Tidal where the back up means the river flows the other way I would doubt you would do much until it turns and starts to run off. The tide on the upper Tidal makes very little difference to zander activity in my experience.
Dave H
Roach
Roach

Post by Dave H »

Fishing the upper tidal where I flows the same way just the level rises and falls.

Thanks for the info.
Clarkey1972
Perch
Perch

Post by Clarkey1972 »

Half an hour either side of high or low tide always switched them in when I fished it for the zeds.

You could catch upto 20 fish in that hour then they would just stop feeding.

You would put your house on geting runs then. Youve got to find them of course but if your on them they will feed.
Dave H
Roach
Roach

Post by Dave H »

Am off this weekend for the first time so will see what happens and keep an eye on the tide and see when one turns up (if one does).
Ash m
Zander
Zander

Post by Ash m »

Watch ya don't catch crabs :grin:
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave H
Roach
Roach

Post by Dave H »

:laughs: A new PB though pal.
Ash m
Zander
Zander

Post by Ash m »

image.jpg
Yep but not a PB I wana beat in a hurry, big ugly thing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
merlin
Chub
Chub

Post by merlin »

supposed to taste nice though
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

been a zandering twice in last few days on the tidal, had several fish to just under doubles
first couple of hours seen plenty of interest, slight knocks and nods on rods. The runs are very strange--- just a couple of nods, if you don't hit them straight away they drop it and don't come back (fishing half a dead roach )

had a few nice perch on the dropshot :thumbs:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Kev Berry wrote:
been a zandering twice in last few days on the tidal, had several fish to just under doubles
first couple of hours into dark seen plenty of interest, slight knocks and nods on rods. The runs are very strange--- just a couple of nods, if you don't hit them straight away they drop it and don't come back (fishing half a dead roach )

Ash m
Zander
Zander

Post by Ash m »

Kev Berry wrote:

You've been watching too much of that des Taylor, :laughs:

rife with perch down Norfolk wish I'd brought my light lure rod
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Ash m wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:

You've been watching too much of that des Taylor, :laughs:

rife with perch down Norfolk wish I'd brought my light lure rod

been meaning to have a go at shotting for a while Ash, had a good old natter with Des and decided to get some stuff.
Had a few perch nearly 2lbs from peg one at first attempt (so it cant be that hard to do :laughs: )
what you doing in :narfuk:
Ash m
Zander
Zander

Post by Ash m »

Fishing Kev, what else :laughs:
Dave H
Roach
Roach

Post by Dave H »

Sounds like you have been sunbathing more than owt!!

Have heard the runs arent really runs more like knocks on the tips. Will just have to fish it and and hit it after a couple of nods and see what happens.

Have thought about getting some dropshot gear for the Perch Kev as can imagine there is a decent stamp of fish in the tidal section. Also Des Taylor made it sound like the s**t for catching big Perch. :laughs:
Steve D
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve D »

Dave if you fish tight to the reel but have the baitrunner as slack as possible they will give you runs.

Ive been trying different ways,bobbins,baitrunner or watching the tip and although ive had em fishing all the different ways i still struggle to nail them sometimes!

finicky b******s to say the least.
Theres one or two phoneys round here ..
Dave H
Roach
Roach

Post by Dave H »

Cheers Steve

Will set the baitrunners as slack as the flow will let me and watch the tips as well hopefully should connect with something.
Steve D
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve D »

Let us know how you get on :thumbs:
merlin
Chub
Chub

Post by merlin »

You may find you get a whole lot better run if you dont fish off the baitrunner
Steve D
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve D »

How would you fish it Mark?

its all new to me this zedding lark so just going off trail and error over the last few weeks.

i did think about rollovers but on fast flowing rivers i was thinking with line p*****g off the spool it would just cause more resistant's when picking up the slack. :scratch:
Dave H
Roach
Roach

Post by Dave H »

I use billies as my predator alarms but I think the flow will pull the line out of the clip as it's quite a fast flowing river if it doesn't it would only need a small weed raft and then it would Definately pull he line out of he clip.
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Neville Fickling »

these funny zed runs are not the norm, most years they give good runs. Not this one though.
Happy to be alive!!!!
Steve D
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve D »

Neville Fickling wrote:
these funny zed runs are not the norm, most years they give good runs. Not this one though.
Do you think its down to more pressure Nev ?
Steve D
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve D »

Dave H wrote:
I use billies as my predator alarms but I think the flow will pull the line out of the clip as it's quite a fast flowing river if it doesn't it would only need a small weed raft and then it would Definately pull he line out of he clip.
Think the main problem with BB and other drop off is the change in resistance,so if you dont pull the line out the clip in time they will drop the bait.

At Least fishing off the baitrunner the resistance is constant which they dont seem to mind..
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Neville Fickling wrote:
they wernt even giving them last night---- blank and not even a nod, Chris had a little one of about 4lb, and that was it for the night---- swine had a 14lb 10oz barbel though, writing his P45 out as we speak :laughs:
Dave H
Roach
Roach

Post by Dave H »

[quoteI use billies as my predator alarms but I think the flow will pull the line out of the clip as it's quite a fast flowing river if it doesn't it would only need a small weed raft and then it would Definately pull he line out of he clip.

Think the main problem with BB and other drop off is the change in resistance,so if you dont pull the line out the clip in time they will drop the bait.

At Least fishing off the baitrunner the resistance is constant which they dont seem to mind..][/quote]

I have never had pike drop baits due to the change in resistance having said that these Zander seem proper finicky this year from what people are saying. Think I will be using the front alarms anyway but mostly be watching the tips.
Steve D
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve D »

Dave H wrote:
[quoteI use billies as my predator alarms but I think the flow will pull the line out of the clip as it's quite a fast flowing river if it doesn't it would only need a small weed raft and then it would Definately pull he line out of he clip.

At Least fishing off the baitrunner the resistance is constant which they dont seem to mind..]
I have never had pike drop baits due to the change in resistance having said that these Zander seem proper finicky this year from what people are saying. Think I will be using the front alarms anyway but mostly be watching the tips.[/quote]

Its not a problem with pike Dave they will quite happily tow fixed leads about etc,but these Zeds are a different ball game mate,as you will soon find out :laughs:
Dave H
Roach
Roach

Post by Dave H »

Will let you know the results Steve if there are any that is.. :laughs:
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Neville Fickling »

Mission wrote:
Neville Fickling wrote:
Do you think its down to more pressure Nev ?
NO
Happy to be alive!!!!
Steve D
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve D »

Dave H wrote:
Will let you know the results Steve if there are any that is.. :laughs:
Good luck mate hope you snare a few :thumbs: