stripey informants

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
adam11
Roach
Roach

stripey informants

Post by adam11 »

With my pike season over i'm going to have an experimental dabble at perching, I've had a play at ultralighting but I'm not feeling the love for it, bait fishing is much more up my street. Watching a you tube video on the subject the other day the bloke on it said he was only using a keepnet as he believed that perch once released have a habit of returning to the shoal and spooking them, is this a commonly held view or just his opinion?
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Re: stripey informants

Post by Andrew »

Wellllll i have heard of it. Dont subscribe to it myself although i have seen my tench get aggitated amd the little one knows something aint quite right.

Ill say though that ive been fishng with shoals of perch under my feet any i catch just get plopped back in. The shoal doesnt mind and the 1lbers still just sit there. Playing a fish in among the shoal does scatter them a bit but they come bqck almost instantly.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

adam11 wrote:
he was only using a keepnet as he believed that perch once released have a habit of returning to the shoal and spooking them, is this a commonly held view or just his opinion?
No good these days anyway - they're straight on Facebook from the keepnet, warning their shoalmates of the danger :wink:

In answer to the question though, my opinion is that it's pure and simple paranoia.
rutilus1
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by rutilus1 »

Just another bit of nonsense about perch that gets churned out along with resistance, fishing snags , they don't feed at night , you need to fish dawn and dusk, blah blah.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

rutilus1 wrote:
Just another bit of nonsense about perch that gets churned out along with resistance, fishing snags , they don't feed at night , you need to fish dawn and dusk, blah blah.
wellllllll actually. there is a fear pheromone if you want to call it that. I have heard of it as either theory or fact but never really delving in to it too much. it makes sense actually so I done a little digging.

its called "Schreckstoff" and you can read more about the experiments here: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 2212001741
Barbelist
Chub
Chub

Post by Barbelist »

When you get Perch on the feed, they're pretty difficult to scare at all !!

I've fed the swim with chopped worms and maggots as I play a perch into the net and had the next one almost immediately after release and re-cast....often the case that they are queuing up to take the bait. I've found that as long as you can be patient in getting through the small "bait robbers" the bigger ones will never be too far away and as they get bigger, the smaller ones find themselves in the food chain and scarper - leaving just the better ones in the swim :thumbs:

Just my thoughts on the subject

Paul
COMPLAINING ABOUT A PROBLEM WITHOUT PROPOSING A SOLUTION IS CALLED WHINING
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

thinking more about it and a problem I had with the roach and rudd in my aquarium and when it all went down rather quickly, they were s**t scared for quite some time freaked out at everything, stopped eating and just died.

one of the roach had a seriously bad injury with something in the tank (I think it was the braces) pretty big wound that lasted a while. thats when it all went wrong for me. few things ring true in that article I posted with my experience. so could be hooking in the mouth doesnt release that chemical or very very little but a proper wound releases more of it :shrug:

all quite interesting. but again, Im not too fussed about it tbh.
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

I was told the same about grayling years ago after gaining a bit pf experience on the subject id say Nahhh.
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Barbelist wrote:
True, and their shoal mates will sometimes follow a hooked fish to the boat, which is handy if your boat partner has the hooked fish you're ready to drop a lure in amongst the following pack. I've nicked a few bonus fish like that :smile:
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Steve Dennington wrote:
Barbelist wrote:
True, and their shoal mates will sometimes follow a hooked fish to the boat, which is handy if your boat partner has the hooked fish you're ready to drop a lure in amongst the following pack. I've nicked a few bonus fish like that :smile:
Seen that too but its mates where trying to grab the spinner blade out its mates gob :laughs: happened with almost every perch that day all the way in to the bank. All 2lbers 2-3 at a time jostling over it