Severn Silurus

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Barbelist
Chub
Chub

Severn Silurus

Post by Barbelist »

BAA reporting a 90lb+ Catfish off the Lower Severn to a a Barbel angler....seen a sneak preview of the pictures - freaking mahoosive !!!

Paul
COMPLAINING ABOUT A PROBLEM WITHOUT PROPOSING A SOLUTION IS CALLED WHINING
sparky415
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Re: Severn Silurus

Post by sparky415 »

Probably been tipped in the river by someone, and my guess is that it has a french accent. :afraid:
Brassneck
Perch
Perch

Post by Brassneck »

What a capture that is. On a barbel rod and a size 10 hook. Pictures in the press next week apparently.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

sparky415 wrote:
Probably been tipped in the river by someone, and my guess is that it has a french accent. :afraid:
More likely it grew thumbed a lift from the Leighton Buzzard area when it was tiny. :smile:
Clarkey1972
Perch
Perch

Post by Clarkey1972 »

Pics on the CCG facebook page.

Doesnt look 90+ but certainly over 70.
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Neville Fickling »

Poor old Des Taylor he'll be worried about getting eaten............
Happy to be alive!!!!
Barbelist
Chub
Chub

Post by Barbelist »

As a matter of interest....anyone know what is the biggest fish reported from a UK water??
Paul_the_piker
Perch
Perch

Post by Paul_the_piker »

Think Mick Brown had a 115lb cat recently that was headlined as the biggest caught in the UK? :scratch:

Not from a river though obviously, pretty sure this fish from the Severn would be the biggest fish caught from a UK river beating Miss Ballantine's 64lb salmon from the Tay. :confused:
Paul_the_piker
Perch
Perch

Post by Paul_the_piker »

Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Paul_the_piker wrote:
Think Mick Brown had a 115lb cat recently that was headlined as the biggest caught in the UK? :scratch:

Not from a river though obviously, pretty sure this fish from the Severn would be the biggest fish caught from a UK river beating Miss Ballantine's 64lb salmon from the Tay. :confused:
Nah, there's a few venues in the UK now that have 100lb + fish. Chap I know had one of 130 something last season. That fish of course had found its way through the channel tunnel... beats me how people are getting away with it :shrug:

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see some really big cats coming out of the Trent and Thames at some point in the future. Someone should put some in Chew and see how they get on :laughs:
Piking Plonker
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Neville Fickling »

Mark Phillips wrote:
Paul_the_piker wrote:

Nah, there's a few venues in the UK now that have 100lb + fish. Chap I know had one of 130 something last season. That fish of course had found its way through the channel tunnel... beats me how people are getting away with it :shrug:

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see some really big cats coming out of the Trent and Thames at some point in the future. Someone should put some in Chew and see how they get on :laughs:
NO
Happy to be alive!!!!
Ash m
Zander
Zander

Post by Ash m »

Trent's done a few young ones this year so their breeding
Polyball
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Polyball »

Biggest documented 144lb, brought in from France no doubt, fishery was only open 6months.

And if what I have heard is true, they aren't coming through the tunnel. Far more complex
Marty
Chub
Chub

Post by Marty »

saw the pics today, no doubt its a big cat but didn't look anywhere near 94lb to me. (but pictures can be deceptive so it could be true)

fair play to the captor, if it was indeed caught from the severn then its the catch of a lifetime.

i wonder how big the two cats i caught on a norfolk river in 1992 are now :eek:
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Personally I'd be flapping a bit on the Severn if at the end of a fight, I found a beast like that to chin out on my own with a couple of trebles kicking about in the darkness of the early hours. I'd rather catch Zander or Pike off the river tbh, unbelievable what is swimming about in our rivers though....

That said, I did Spain a couple of times 10, 12 years ago and those Catfish were amazing! :thumbs:
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Barbelist
Chub
Chub

Post by Barbelist »

Had it confirmed earlier today that a small number of very small Silurus Glanis catfish were also taken by the Elver catchers on the tidal Severn this time round too....breeding population?

Paul
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Ash m wrote:
Ive heard there has been a regular injection of kittens for a number of years by someone who visits France on a regular basis
murkey
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by murkey »

Kev Berry wrote:
Ash m wrote:
Ive heard there has been a regular injection of kittens for a number of years by someone who visits France on a regular basis

Some people are tossers, I mean who has the right to introduce a new species because THEY feel it would be good to catch cats in the future :yours:, no matter how tempting it might be to see our big rivers have big cats swimming about the current populations already are already hammered with cormorants, otters, mink, eastern Europeans..
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

murkey wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Ash m wrote:

Some people are tossers, I mean who has the right to introduce a new species because THEY feel it would be good to catch cats in the future :yours:, no matter how tempting it might be to see our big rivers have big cats swimming about the current populations already are already hammered with cormorants, otters, mink, eastern Europeans..
I wonder if big cats eat baby otters, mink, and cormorants---they eat pigeons, that's on you tube, and they not that big that's doing the eating.

the trent is heaving with fish at the moment, but you right, they shouldn't be stocked without permission
Clarkey1972
Perch
Perch

Post by Clarkey1972 »

Kev Berry wrote:
Ash m wrote:
I know this to be true too Kev
Rob_Iasgair
Perch
Perch

Post by Rob_Iasgair »

Just read that a chap called Steve Feltham, an "expert" on the Loch Ness Monster, believes it is a misidentified Wels Catfish :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

As for fish being moved around, that is certainly how the Barbel in the Clyde have Blackcountry accents.

We did have a Wels caught by a fly angler in a local loch. Almost certainly tipped in when if outgrew a tank or pond as there were also sightings of what people said was a Sturgeon, but I am sure it will have been a Sterlet.

Was it not a fishery in Essex called Oak Lodge or something that claimed the biggest Wels?
dropped_run
Perch
Perch

Post by dropped_run »

Rob_Iasgair wrote:
Just read that a chap called Steve Feltham, an "expert" on the Loch Ness Monster, believes it is a misidentified Wels Catfish :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

As for fish being moved around, that is certainly how the Barbel in the Clyde have Blackcountry accents.

We did have a Wels caught by a fly angler in a local loch. Almost certainly tipped in when if outgrew a tank or pond as there were also sightings of what people said was a Sturgeon, but I am sure it will have been a Sterlet.

Was it not a fishery in Essex called Oak Lodge or something that claimed the biggest Wels?
Oak lodge did the first ton (or maybe a high 90) in this country that im aware of- i remember it getting onto the tv news at the time. No one questioned where it came from mind you.

Ive always thought Nessie is a monster anguilla anguilla meself.
James Dobie.
Polyball
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Polyball »

144lb after been out at 130 this year I believe