Went a zandering tonight

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Kev Berry

Went a zandering tonight

Post by Kev Berry »

an hour into dark (5pm :laughs: ) and started getting little tugs and plucks on the dead roach, every now and then the bobbin would jump up a few inches and that was it. Driving me crackers. Chopped the bait in half and got the same little plucks and tugs and half hearted takes. Eels or micro zander I thought. Was still getting half hearted takes, so changed rigs to a size 4 single and just a strip of flesh to see if I could catch one of the little swines. Rod was now held instead of on the rests and me holding the line. Next bite I managed to hit it, then I got 4 more before the swim went dead----all 3--3 1/2 lbs. No zander, or eels ---all chub!!!
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Re: Went a zandering tonight

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Guy I know told a similar story Kev, he went back a few times and using chunks of deadbait on a tip rod, had several chub to over 5lb :wink:

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote:
Guy I know told a similar story Kev, he went back a few times and using chunks of deadbait on a tip rod, had several chub to over 5lb :wink:

Cheers Alan
had more than a few chub on full sardines Alan, no messing about with them either. Last night just saw me determined to catch what was pestering my zander baits and making me keep jumping up and down to my rods.
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

I have caught some good chub trotting livebaits in weir pools :thumbs:
That Perkins !!! 😂
The_Saint
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by The_Saint »

Had a few decent 5lb + chub on half mackerel and a few 4lb + on livebaits. Pretty aggressive takes as well
from the skool of hard knox and the university of life
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Saw a mate catch a near 4lb Chub on a decent Dace livebait over 30 years ago from a swim while we were Piking as kids on the Upper Welland. Full shop-bought snap tackle, the works, and it was bigger than almost all the Pike I ever saw from there! Never forgotten that fish.
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
steve wild
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by steve wild »

Kev Berry wrote:
an hour into dark (5pm :laughs: ) and started getting little tugs and plucks on the dead roach, every now and then the bobbin would jump up a few inches and that was it. Driving me crackers. Chopped the bait in half and got the same little plucks and tugs and half hearted takes. Eels or micro zander I thought. Was still getting half hearted takes, so changed rigs to a size 4 single and just a strip of flesh to see if I could catch one of the little swines. Rod was now held instead of on the rests and me holding the line. Next bite I managed to hit it, then I got 4 more before the swim went dead----all 3--3 1/2 lbs. No zander, or eels ---all chub!!!
When I started reading this I felt for sure you was going to say that Eels was the problem.
Never for one minute expected Chub.
Owl1967
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Owl1967 »

Often had lightning fast takes on Trent when using Lamprey - rod sometimes dragged over then nothing there - not hooked one yet but suspected chub. Still not had a zander on the tidal but lamprey is a lethal flounder bait - had them to nearly 2lbs....
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Owl1967 wrote:
Often had lightning fast takes on Trent when using Lamprey - rod sometimes dragged over then nothing there - not hooked one yet but suspected chub. Still not had a zander on the tidal but lamprey is a lethal flounder bait - had them to nearly 2lbs....
that's a good flounder----never had one bigger than about a 1lb out the tidal, fight like a tired bream :laughs:
eelchaser
Roach
Roach

Post by eelchaser »

Have spent quite a few years fishing deadbaits for chub on the thames - fish to just over 5lb , its not exactly the best method for catching them , but the takes can be entertaining , and you can bet your bottom dollar most people aint doing it !
Plus one of these nights its going to be a real lunker - sardines or lamps seem to be favoured bait , plus barbel are not averse to having em . :laughs:
Owl1967
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Owl1967 »

Kev Berry wrote:
Owl1967 wrote:
that's a good flounder----never had one bigger than about a 1lb out the tidal, fight like a tired bream :laughs:
They shake their heads at first like a good perch and you get all excited but then the 'fight' turns into something like a weird carrier bag on the end..... The one just under 2lbs gave a great account of itself for its size on a heavy barbel rod and 15lb line.

Had plenty around the pound on the tidal - done a fair bit of sea fishing too but the Trent is my specimen flattie venue of choice!