Zander Advice......

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Rhubarb
Stickleback
Stickleback

Zander Advice......

Post by Rhubarb »

Hi Guys, I live in Yorkshire and there's no zander around me, so my buddy and I are thinking of planning a trip to the trent or ther severn with a view to catching our first ever zander. We're going to use lures as that's the style of fioshing we prefer. Has anyone got any tips, we're going in springtime hopefully once the weather turns a bit. We were also thinking of hiring a guide for the severn, as fishing from a boat on a river is something i've never done. Any advice appreciated. thanks...R
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Re: Zander Advice......

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

The best lure going is a 4inch live roach, other than that, ask someone else :wink:

(just ti get the thread going face)

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Tomcox77
Chub
Chub

Post by Tomcox77 »

Springtime is maybe not the best time to fish the river unless you speaky no English :wink:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

River is cold at the moment not many zander coming out, needs to raise in temp a bit before you can set your stall for them and expect any success.
Trent zander don't seem to have read the books about zander, they get caught in daylight, often in shallow water and willingly take big baits and will regularly ignore little baits. Bites are quite often one noters but can be just a nod on the rod.
Baits fished well off the bottom can out fish bottom fished baits.
Trent zander can be nomadic, here today and gone tomorrow, don't dismiss a swim/stretch because you blanked a few times.
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Kev Berry wrote:
River is cold at the moment not many zander coming out, needs to raise in temp a bit before you can set your stall for them and expect any success.
Trent zander don't seem to have read the books about zander, they get caught in daylight, often in shallow water and willingly take big baits and will regularly ignore little baits. Bites are quite often one noters but can be just a nod on the rod.
Trent zander can be nomadic, here today and gone tomorrow, don't dismiss a swim/stretch because you blanked a few times.
Big regret of mine that I never put any time into the Trent for Zeds when I lived within only half an hour of it Kev. :eek:
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Brassneck
Perch
Perch

Post by Brassneck »

Doesn't look like water will be warming up too much before the fair fourteenth, brass monkey forecast this weekend :exit:

Rhubarb - there is actually an article in the anglers' mail worth reading this week on lure fishing for zeds on the severn, by a chap who has had an 18 on a lure.

Basically prefers bright coloured plugs, yellow best colour.

Avoid jigs cos of the snags, though that is teaching you to suck eggs no doubt!
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Fentiger01 wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Big regret of mine that I never put any time into the Trent for Zeds when I lived within only half an hour of it Kev. :eek:
welcome to have a day in the boat after them in summer if you want
Rhubarb
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Rhubarb »

Thanks for the advice fellas.
The Trent isn't too far away so I'll be probably trying there first, when the water warms a bit. Hoping to do some perching asap on a big private water, the gamekeeper there had a 4 1/2 lb perch while spinning for pike, and another even bigger. They sent me a piccy, and it looks big.How big i don't know as i think they're hard to judge. But when a perch looks big, then its big ha ha

Just as an aside, does anyone know if there are dayticket stretches on the severn that have zander? thanks.
rutilus1
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by rutilus1 »

join the Birmingham anglers for £40 , enough zander fishing for a lifetime.
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Kev Berry wrote:
Fentiger01 wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
welcome to have a day in the boat after them in summer if you want
That is a very kind offer thank you Kev and one I won't be passing up! :thumbs:
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Marcusp
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Marcusp »

Great offer kev. Thats why this forum is :cheers:
sebshelton
Chub
Chub

Post by sebshelton »

Rhubarb wrote:
Hi Guys, I live in Yorkshire and there's no zander around me, so my buddy and I are thinking of planning a trip to the trent or ther severn with a view to catching our first ever zander. We're going to use lures as that's the style of fioshing we prefer. Has anyone got any tips, we're going in springtime hopefully once the weather turns a bit. We were also thinking of hiring a guide for the severn, as fishing from a boat on a river is something i've never done. Any advice appreciated. thanks...R
Dave Pugh is your man on the Severn. He only fishes lures. Nice bloke, no bull sh1t & really knows his stuff. He has a facebook page.
Rhubarb
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Rhubarb »

sebshelton wrote:
Rhubarb wrote:
Dave Pugh is your man on the Severn. He only fishes lures. Nice bloke, no bull sh1t & really knows his stuff. He has a facebook page.
Thanks, I will look him up. I don't have facebook, but I'll find a way...
rutilus1
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by rutilus1 »