Never caught a decent eel...

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
kev1972
Stickleback
Stickleback

Never caught a decent eel...

Post by kev1972 »

I have never caught a decent eel, but think I have access to a few local waters in the Lea Valley that have decent size ones in. Have just joined the NAC & am waiting to soak up any information on big snakes I can find ! My nipper pestering me to night fish this year, so while trying to learn the difficult art of eeling will have to try & get him on some tench, bream...baits (probably a big eel !!) etc....if he blanks too often my eel fishing career could be very short !! Is barbless hooks the way to go ? I have had decent results catting with circle hooks, will these (in smaller size) work for eels ? Crayfish maybe be a problem, so Dyson style rig should help I hope.
eelchaser
Roach
Roach

Re: Never caught a decent eel...

Post by eelchaser »

pm for you .
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Any eel over 4lb is a specimen eel, so that is a realistic target on most stillwaters. Surprisingly my biggest eel (5lb 3oz) came from the river in the early 90's.

If crayfish are are issue, then the Dyson rig is ideal....there is a good article by the NAC's Mark Salter

http://www.nationalanguillaclub.co.uk/a ... water.html
kev1972
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by kev1972 »

Thanks for the link to Mr Salts adventures, very inspiring...& all from my general area I think.
Eel chasers, not sure if pm made it or maybe I'm not allowed to receive them as new forum member ?
mark salt
Roach
Roach

Post by mark salt »

Circle hooks can be very effective for eels. PM me on the NAC site if I can help with local knowledge or rig info.

Regards

Mark
eelchaser
Roach
Roach

Post by eelchaser »

pm for you via the nac site :thumbs: