Ferox ?

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Ferox ?

Post by dannytaylor »

Some questions for the forums ferox hunters.

What types of bait/lures, natural/artificial do you have most success with.

Is it necessary to present baits at extreme depths with down riggers or will like pike will they come up a good distance to intercept prey ?

Cheers in adva
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Re: Ferox ?

Post by fergie68 »

What type of loch are you fishing Danny.Depth prey fish.
You can do fine without riggers but if your serious about it they are Very effective.
Brian Rutland the current record holder told me they were the biggest step forward in his ferox fishing and i totally agree. But they dont inhabit the extreme depths some people imagine.

This year im 50/50 baits lures.
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

Danny.
Limited though my knowledge is as far as ferox are concerned, I have only been targeting them for about ten years now.
So far lures have been more successful for us, not surprising as we do tend to use lures more than natural baits, I know of some who only use baits.
It is not necessary to present lures/baits at extreme depths with down riggers, ferox can occasionally be caught in shallower water but most ferox men would not be fishing the shallower depths.
As Fergie has rightly already mentioned they are a very effective tool for presenting a lure or bait at whatever depth you wish to fish at, I would not want to be without mine.

Will.
bigaldo
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by bigaldo »

You can also fish static deadbaits for them on standard Pike gear. I know a couple of waters that produce regularly. You get some funny looks right enough!
"Alll the battles are won, but I'm still on the run"
Admau1
Chub
Chub

Post by Admau1 »

You NEED downriggers ! If your trolling ! Can't remember anyone static fishing for ferox :shrug: You don't always have to fish at depth, but you need the weight ( cannon ball weight ) to maintain depth when trolling!
Admau1
Chub
Chub

Post by Admau1 »

You NEED downriggers ! If your trolling ! Can't remember anyone static fishing for ferox :shrug: You don't always have to fish at depth, but you need the weight ( cannon ball weight ) to maintain depth when trolling!
highlandpiker
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by highlandpiker »

I caught a few whilst eel fishing before it was banned, I found that just on dusk they would come onto the marginal shelf, they certainly weren't fussy, although not leviathans, they were way way bigger than the average fly caught trout, in fact, a lot of locals couldn't believe that Trout that size existed in the particular waters I was fishing. All were caught on static deads.
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

Its not a technique that immediately springs to mind for ferox fishing but there's no doubt it can be effective .Ive tried and failed with it but a few friends have done well on certain lochs with it.
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP
piker60
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker60 »

Some of the biggest ferox that I know of (genuine 16lb+), caught in the Lake District, were captured by pike anglers, on static deads in deepish water of between 30-40 foot.
"The best argument against democracy, is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter"
W.Churchill
It doesn't matter who you vote for the government still gets in.