Zandering

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Kev Berry

Zandering

Post by Kev Berry »

Went a zandering today, river was up a foot, nice bit of colour---cant fail.

out at 5 on the river, by 7-30 I had caught 6, nothing big all around the same size 3lb ish.

not a bad day----but it was.
The last one did a little flip about as it came near the boat, it shook its head as I was reaching for it and the hook flew out, a "tactiful release" .

Ten minutes later I was thinking of moving to another slack area bordering the main flow----when a dead zander pops to the surface :eek:
Quite obviously one of mine, I scooped it out and it was like a dodo :cry:
Never eaten a zander so I thought I would try it. After filleting it I did a bit of an autopsy to see if I could find out why it died.

Heres a few pics of what I found. I use barbless size 2 singles, with lip hooked baits and instant strike on slightest indication 99% are hooked with the shank sticking out the mouth, as were the first 5 I caught. The last one must have wolfed it down hence the hook damage to its heart possibly caused when it it did a flip against the side of the boat.
Note how close the heart is to the top of the throat---its right below it.

Now a number 2 single hook isn't really big, but its big enough to reach vital organs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Zandering

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Was told many years ago that predators have hearts that are high up as a reason that a small set of trebles was safer than a large single as they penetrate far less, first time I have ever seen anything that might back that up.

I have previously had two zander peg out on me for no obvious reason, one scrapped all the way to the net but was stone dead by the time I lifted on to the mat, I have always put that down to a heart attack but don't really have any proof of that.

Because of above I have eaten zander on two occasions, and I can honestly say it was delicious and although they were both a lot of years ago I cant remember having better tasting fish. Try it simply pan fried with nothing much added :thumbs: :thumbs:
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Post by dannytaylor »

Perch have there vital organs in a similar place (closely related) why quick striking is vital especially with livebaits (wolf em down) and any deep hooking will pierce vital organs. Similar thing happened to me and my brother a few years back, I was not keeping an eye on him and he unfortunately deep hooked a perch about 2lb it struggled to go back and died. Instead of wasting it we took it home and ate it. Absolutely gorgeous. Wouldn't normally do or advocate this but accidents do happen when angling.

On a slightly different tangent, I've started to crop off the large single hooks on lures like reps and SG 3d rattle shads and replace them with a treble stinger. I'm not sure if pike have organs in the same place zander have but I've had experience of this large single causing damage to fish...........
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Neville Fickling »

the heart is in the same place pike or zander at the back of the lower jaw if you google fish anatomy you'll see
Happy to be alive!!!!
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Neville Fickling wrote:
the heart is in the same place pike or zander at the back of the lower jaw if you google fish anatomy you'll see
Whom me? :laughs:

The thousands of fish we have all caught between us shows this is such a rare occurrence and so just simply collateral damage :wink:
Saying that changing ultra large singles for smaller trebles as Danny was saying is a good idea and in many cases will increase the hooking potential, bigger isnt always better.
I have found that a smallish treble placed in the dorsal region of a livie has the most potential for hooking perch with the least potential for deep hooking them as can happen with a single in the lip.
The same works for a quick strike rig for pike as I bet it would for zander :thumbs:

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
bob-c
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by bob-c »

I have only caught Zander around 3lb on rubber worms while fishing for LM Bass, they have never been hooked deep but it is noticeable that they struggle to get going again even when released quickly .
As a result I have taken one once to eat and agree they are one of the best tasting freshwater fish .
Fenlandesox
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Fenlandesox »

Did you think it tasted good? I think the forum is of responsible anglers that won't start taking them based on your review!
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Neville Fickling »

Fenlandesox wrote:
Did you think it tasted good? I think the forum is of responsible anglers that won't start taking them based on your review!
generally most people can't bother with trying to fillet a fish properly. Much easier to go to a chippy1
Happy to be alive!!!!
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

Very interesting Kev, thanks for putting that up, it just makes me wonder if on the extremely rare occasion I have not been able to revive fish and they have died on me that the same thing might of happened.

I also agree with your comment of collateral damage, its always unfortunate if you lose a fish but, if you have taken all reasonable and responsible steps to prevent such things from happening you can at least go to sleep with a clear conscience.

I have never tasted Zander, you don't get them up where I live, I did try a Pike once which had died on me it was bloody awful :laughs: .

Will.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Fenlandesox wrote:

It was quite nice, not tasting of mud like pike, just pan fried in a bit of lurpak, I might try it again if one dies on me but wouldn't deliberately kill one
colinb
Barbel
Barbel

Post by colinb »

I've also tried a Zander that croaked after being returned when it seemed perfectly OK.

Unlike others on here, I found it quite bland and really wouldn't bother again.

A nice piece of Haddock, a nice fresh Mackerel and a nice piece of Halibut are the only fish I really like.

I should also add that having gutted a few thousand over the years, trout have their heart close to their throat.
highlandpiker
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by highlandpiker »

Most of the eels vital organs are directly behind the head, disgorgers can be lethal. Have heard of old fish, especially large ones sometimes having heart attacks after capture.
piker60
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker60 »

My Dutch boat partner had a 6 lb Zander go belly up having vertically jigged it out from deep water in Holland. His wife cooked it and it was delicious. I have it a lot these days when I go to Europe. Standard menu faire there.
"The best argument against democracy, is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter"
W.Churchill
It doesn't matter who you vote for the government still gets in.