Zander behaviour

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Re: Zander behaviour

Post by Fentiger01 »

Emma Hamilton wrote:
Barbelist wrote:
With their excellent eyesight advantage over their prey fish items....do they take full advantage in times of high and dirty water on the rivers too?

Paul
Hi Paul,

Ive started to wonder if zander really do have this super eye sight that the books and experts tell us about. I seem to have bigger or more eye showing that your average fella from China but i'll not have better eye sight? There is absolutely nothing I've discovered in my zander fishing to suggest that zander have any better eye sight than pike, if anything from what I've experienced it could be the opposite.

rob
Interesting stuff Rob, my understanding of it wasn't so much based on the size of the Zeds eye but more that there's a layer of reflective tapetum underneath that allows for capture of more of the incoming energy from light rays etc. To be honest (and I'm definitely open to differing thinking on the subject), I'd say that 80% of my Zander have come after dark but I suspect looking critically at the way I do stuff - that is because I've never really spent as much time actively chasing them during the day.
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Usually when an animal has superior vision in one respect such as low light in the case of sander, their will be a trade off probably in this case with reduced colour vision, the way the eye has been constructed through evolution is the reason cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote:
Usually when an animal has superior vision in one respect such as low light in the case of sander, their will be a trade off probably in this case with reduced colour vision, the way the eye has been constructed through evolution is the reason cheers Alan
very true Alan, but many people believe the old wives tales that cats dogs and other mammals etc only see in black and white---they do see colours but not the range that we do, for instance cattle are red/green colour blind (meaning "red rag to a bull" is all bullocks :laughs: )

Birds, insects and many other animals see colours in the ultra violet range we cant see ----but they cant see red light (as mr ratty sometimes finds out to his cost)

Likewise with fish, they see different colour ranges to us including the ultra violet range---- depth of water also absorbs colours, but a coloured lure 30ft deep is filtered to the same colour as one 30ft away from a fish just under the surface

have a look at this ----
http://midcurrent.com/science/fish-eyes ... or-matter/