Ledgering for perch and pike on live bait

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Dexodus
Stickleback
Stickleback

Ledgering for perch and pike on live bait

Post by Dexodus »

Dear everyone,

I am new to catching predatory fish using ledgering, and could not find much information on ledgering using live baits. I am fishing a lake that has rather small pikes and alot of large perch. I want to live bait as from what I heard is the best way to catch perch here. I have some ideas for the rigs, but I am bit worried about bite detection. I was thinking of using drop off indication. That should keep the bait fish from triggering the alarm, but I am afraid that I need to tighten the indicator so that it would not be triggered by the bait, thus making it so that it has too much resistance for the pearch. Has anyone tried this? For perch or pike? What is your experience?
pete webster
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Ledgering for perch and pike on live bait

Post by pete webster »

Hi mate don't use drop offs just use a hanger/bobbin on a long drop, you will get bleeps etc of the bait but I assure you you will know the difference when a big perch gets the bait.
The other option for fishing with a drop off would be to use a scaled down sunk float paternoster set up.
I should have said this is for targeting perch.
Pete.
Dexodus
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Dexodus »

What is the difference between ledger and down sunk float paternoster rigs that makes one good to use with the bobbin and other with drop off? Is it because the float paternoster is fixed and already has resistance so that drop off does not make a difference?
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I've used drop-offs for perch. Home made ones which were very light - little more than a clip on a cord. And set the clip as light as I could get it. Normal pike drop-offs have to have their clips set too tight for perch just to stop then falling off the line through their own weight. But usually I'd use a light bobbin on a long drop.