Float fishing for Zander

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Goooey
Roach
Roach

Float fishing for Zander

Post by Goooey »

Looking at a simple float fishing rig for Zander on the river with livebaits.

Single or double hooks?

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
Kev Berry

Re: Float fishing for Zander

Post by Kev Berry »

Goooey wrote:

Single or double hooks?

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

for trotting or fishing in slacks --float, bullet, trace, hooks according to bait size---keep it simple.

or paternoster it if current isn't too strong or you fishing at night---and don't be too bothered if baits are several feet off the bottom, they will come up for them.
Goooey
Roach
Roach

Post by Goooey »

Perfect...pretty much as i was expecting so thanks for that Kev.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

The only thing I would add would be to use a buoyant mainline such as powerpro and an uptrace if you intend to use live baits.

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
ADAM-F
Roach
Roach

Post by ADAM-F »

Most pike float rigs will work fine, I would however fish with the smallest float and lead arrangement that you can get away with on the day. On the fenland waters I fish it is rare for me to use a float bigger than a 1oz lead would sink. Even on the bigger rivers and drains 1.5oz lead /floats would be plenty in most normal conditions. Wind and water flow dictates what you can get away with, it can be worth changing if conditions alter thoughout the session.

Experience has taught me to scale down whenever possible as this will help avoid dropped runs and if you can use my preferred 1oz float ledger dropped runs will be very rare.
Ill try and post you a pic of my zed floats later.
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

Bait fishing is cheating, end of :laughs:
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Goooey wrote:

Single or double hooks?

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
What ever you do for pike, do the same, just match everything to the conditions, bait size, etc. Just as you would when pike fishing... hooks? Stick to trebles is my conclusion from 35 years of zander fishing :smile:
Piking Plonker
Goooey
Roach
Roach

Post by Goooey »

Thanks lads. Light float set up it is, and will be fishing the early hours of darkness so starlights as well.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

ADAM-F wrote:
Most pike float rigs will work fine, I would however fish with the smallest float and lead arrangement that you can get away with on the day. On the fenland waters I fish it is rare for me to use a float bigger than a 1oz lead would sink. Even on the bigger rivers and drains 1.5oz lead /floats would be plenty in most normal conditions. Wind and water flow dictates what you can get away with, it can be worth changing if conditions alter thoughout the session.

Experience has taught me to scale down whenever possible as this will help avoid dropped runs and if you can use my preferred 1oz float ledger dropped runs will be very rare.
Ill try and post you a pic of my zed floats later.
I would generally agree Adam but sunk floats paternosters, a high resistance rig, catch plenty of fish and get the baitrunner reels spinning :shrug:

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
ADAM-F
Roach
Roach

Post by ADAM-F »

[quote]
I would generally agree Adam but sunk floats paternosters, a high resistance rig, catch plenty of fish and get the baitrunner reels spinning :shrug:

Cheers Alan

Yes sunk floats and ledgers will catch plenty of Zander but the opening post asked about a float rig.

From my experience sunk floats or ledgering will result in more dropped or missed runs than a light float rig those will catch though and are probably a much easier method to fish for an inexperienced angler than a balanced float rig.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

ADAM-F wrote:

Cheers Alan

Yes sunk floats and ledgers will catch plenty of Zander but the opening post asked about a float rig.

From my experience sunk floats or ledgering will result in more dropped or missed runs than a light float rig those will catch though and are probably a much easier method to fish for an inexperienced angler than a balanced float rig.
Its funny how exsperiences differ Adam.
I do think that all this low resistance buisness is over thought for species such as pike, perch and zander and in the right instance, depending on the day, one school of thought will win out over the other.
I have fished very sensitive float set ups for zander and had plenty of dropped takes , they can be bar stewards at times :wink:

Cheers Alan
ADAM-F
Roach
Roach

Post by ADAM-F »

[quote]and in the right instance, depending on the day, one school of thought will win out over the other./quote]

I can't disagree with you there Alan.

Personally I prefer to fish a float, I just love seeing them disappear :cheers:
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

ADAM-F wrote:
and in the right instance, depending on the day, one school of thought will win out over the other.

:thumbs: :thumbs:
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

ADAM-F wrote:
and in the right instance, depending on the day, one school of thought will win out over the other./quote]

I cant disagree with you there Adam :wink:

Cheers Alan
Barbelist
Chub
Chub

Post by Barbelist »

I do fish the SFP a lot for both pike and zander and find it efficient but....there is something very appealing when the float starts doing the dance of death as a pred picks up the bait and moves off :cool:
COMPLAINING ABOUT A PROBLEM WITHOUT PROPOSING A SOLUTION IS CALLED WHINING
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

When I used to day fish the drains using mobile deadbaiting tactics, I fished floats with fairly light drilled bullets and baits on the bottom. I could pretty much tell you whether a Pike or a Zander had picked up the bait, for if the float went under it was a Pike. If the float slid gracefully across the top of the drain, it was usually a Zed.

Definitely differences in how they pick up baits.
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
ADAM-F
Roach
Roach

Post by ADAM-F »

Here's my floats if this works.

The round ones have stiff rig tubing glued in and then it's carefully heated and bent. This then allows the float to lean towards u on a tight line enabling the starlight to sit proud and clearly visible.
Floats range from .75 - 1.5oz to sink them. They are fished slightly overdepth and I tend to use the lightest conditions will allow.

If its not flowing too much then i fish open bail arm with the line only just clipped in the line clip I have taped to the rod.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ADAM-F
Roach
Roach

Post by ADAM-F »

All floats have the tubing that comes with the starlight glued into them. Slightly off set of the middle for the round ones.

The smaller round ones are made from 1.25" foam bait poppers. These grip the stiff rig tubing well and its possible to use a longer tubing and glue only the top one. You can then cut a slit in other poppers and add more floats as desired.

**note for the clumsy - the tubing is not indestructible and care needs to be taken especially when winding down the line.
Goooey
Roach
Roach

Post by Goooey »

Spot on, thanks.
dave aylett
Perch
Perch

Post by dave aylett »

Mark Phillips wrote:
Goooey wrote:

Single or double hooks?

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
What ever you do for pike, do the same, just match everything to the conditions, bait size, etc. Just as you would when pike fishing... hooks? Stick to trebles is my conclusion from 35 years of zander fishing :smile:
You started Zander fishing at 13/14 years of age?? 'Kin ell..
Rik W
Chub
Chub

Post by Rik W »

dave aylett wrote:
Mark Phillips wrote:
Goooey wrote:

Single or double hooks?

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
You started Zander fishing at 13/14 years of age?? 'Kin ell..
Mark was very often seen on his 'push bike' at Three Holes :laughs: :laughs: :thumbs:

I was only 8 back then and owned a tricycle, b*****d to pedal and could only get as far as Mepal........... :exit: