Big Barbel - The Predator?

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Big Barbel - The Predator?

Post by Mike J »

My question is;
Are big barbel predators?

On barbel rivers that experience a migratory run of salmon It is not unknown for a big barbel to by caught by a salmon angler.
Infact over the past couple of hundered years there are many records of big barbel being caught by salmon anglers on flies and spun deadbaits.
Yet we never catch one while pike fishing :scratch:

:shrug:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Woolley bully
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Re: Big Barbel - The Predator?

Post by Woolley bully »

Luck of the draw I think , I have caught carp on roach tail section fishing for eels ,so there's no reason i suppose a barbel wouldn't have a go :thumbs:
Born to fish but forced to work
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Post by dannytaylor »

All fish are predatory to some extent. Certain times of year most fish capitalise on whatever glut is available and that can often be spawn and fry. Barbel get caught on lampreys and minnows.look at the Spanish barbel, they like a lure and as Mike says on salmon rivers they fall to Devon minnows.

I've had bream on dead baits and watched my dad get one on a shad intended for perch. Rudd get caught on small spinners and wasn't there a picture on here years ago of one on a stone loach or something?

Carp are more predatory than people think. I've watched two nice commons in clear water sucking up fry, and I've had them on shads. There was a theory that commons can be more predatory than mirrors. I'm sure I read of a carp angler who experimented with dead baits on a water that had some hard to catch big commons that rarely saw the bank and he had some success.

A very interesting topic.....................
AndyLarkins
Perch
Perch

Post by AndyLarkins »

Several years ago, James "The Doc" Gardner along with long-term fishing companion Andy Lush gave us a talk at PAC Region 30/60 re this theme

Some of their exploits can be viewed here.....

http://www.thefriendlyfisherman.co.uk/a ... h_gold.asp

http://www.flyfishing-and-flytying.co.u ... on_barbel/

http://www.thefriendlyfisherman.co.uk/a ... barbel.asp

Certainly was an eye-opener! :eek: (different specie of Barbel granted)

(TOP anglers and all-round bloody good eggs face)
Image http://www.canterburypac.blogspot.com
"C'MON!.. Ya like a fat girl in red shoes" Andy Brown 2015
Malc Green
Chub
Chub

Post by Malc Green »

Peter Stone wrote about this in one of his earlier books. I've caught Carp Chub and Roach on deadbait so no reason why Barbel won't take them in he right circumstance.
Support the PAC.
Tidal River Piker
Covid Loves a Crowd.
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

I know some Polish lads who are very good at targeting them with small lures, often crayfish imitations, but any small soft plastic works if you have it in the right place and they're hungry. They pop up in the catch reports on the LAS forum fairly frequently.

As its been said, most fish are predatory to an extent, most people don't realise it though because there are easier ways to catch course fish so never bother to target them with lures. Pete Felstead on the LAS is a dab hand at catching pretty much anything that swims, including roach, dace, rudd, skimmers, bream to name just a few, all on lures.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

dannytaylor wrote: Sun Nov 12 2017 12:31 -
All fish are predatory to some extent. Certain times of year most fish capitalise on whatever glut is available and that can often be spawn and fry. Barbel get caught on lampreys and minnows.look at the Spanish barbel, they like a lure and as Mike says on salmon rivers they fall to Devon minnows.

I've had bream on dead baits and watched my dad get one on a shad intended for perch. Rudd get caught on small spinners and wasn't there a picture on here years ago of one on a stone loach or something?

Carp are more predatory than people think. I've watched two nice commons in clear water sucking up fry, and I've had them on shads. There was a theory that commons can be more predatory than mirrors. I'm sure I read of a carp angler who experimented with dead baits on a water that had some hard to catch big commons that rarely saw the bank and he had some success.

A very interesting topic.....................
"All fish are predatory"

Agreed :thumbs:

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Nev had one on a full lamprey complete with 2 x trebles

mate of mine had 4 in one session on pieces of lamprey
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

In a fish tank a few years ago a dace about 1.5 inches had a stone loach stuck in its gob...food is food!
I tried to catch barbel on dead baits few years ago,never got one but had them taking freebies.
Seen them chasing small fish in the shallows.
Remember reading an article about a chap that used deads and caught barbel.
A pellet or boilie is just a miniature dead bait!

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Steve Burke
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Steve Burke »

I've written quite a lot about my experiences deliberately using deadbaits for other species over the years. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do links here to Angler's Net, but you'll find some of these articles there, including one wholly on the topic. Mods - please delete the reference if against the rules.
Steve Burke
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Steve Burke »

Mods, am I allowed to give the name of the deadbait article on Angler's Net? I won't unless expressly given permission.
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Steve Burke wrote: Sun Nov 12 2017 22:02 -
Mods, am I allowed to give the name of the deadbait article on Angler's Net? I won't unless expressly given permission.
Yes Steve you can do :-)
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

When I was a nipper (late 70's), if I remember correctly one of the biggest Barbel ever at the time (around 14lb 6oz) was caught by a Salmon angler on a devon minnow.

Another big up to Pete Felstead who was mentioned earlier, the bloke has taken lure fishing to an incredible level. :thumbs:
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Fentiger01 wrote: Wed Nov 22 2017 21:18 -
When I was a nipper (late 70's), if I remember correctly one of the biggest Barbel ever at the time (around 14lb 6oz) was caught by a Salmon angler on a devon minnow.

Another big up to Pete Felstead who was mentioned earlier, the bloke has taken lure fishing to an incredible level. :thumbs:
Dave, the record was I believe 14.6 until the early 90s, two fish shared this heady position, but years previously a fish was caught off Ibsley bridge by a salmon angler but was out of season, weighed 16.1 and yes I'm sure it was on a devon minnow.
The ibsley fish is written into barbel folk law :geek: and I remember driving along in that part of the world and seeing a sign for Ibsley so I turned off and drove there, stood on the bridge and peered into those cool clear waters dreaming of whiskered leviathans......the prat I am :red: :laughs:

Cheers Alan
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Thu Nov 23 2017 06:47 -

Dave, the record was I believe 14.6 until the early 90s, two fish shared this heady position, but years previously a fish was caught off Ibsley bridge by a salmon angler but was out of season, weighed 16.1 and yes I'm sure it was on a devon minnow.
The ibsley fish is written into barbel folk law :geek: and I remember driving along in that part of the world and seeing a sign for Ibsley so I turned off and drove there, stood on the bridge and peered into those cool clear waters dreaming of whiskered leviathans......the prat I am :red: :laughs:

Cheers Alan
Long time ago Alan and I was a mere whipper snapper but yeh, that sounds about right by my memory. :thumbs:
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Mick Cobb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mick Cobb »

I know a lure angler who had an 8lber on a lure the barbel was totally blind and probably feeding in vibratory mode, although in old fishing books a dead or live gudgeon was recommended as bait.
Always quietly confident.
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

Sam Edmond's targets barbel on lures, and he catches a few!!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Cheers Alan

Not a p**t at all Alan, we all do it, its just that some of us do it more than others.
Only the other day I chatted to yet another visitor who had stood on the bridge and gazed into those crystal waters (then asked me if it was the river Wylye :roll: )

The river of dreams, it certainly is, there is no other to compare.

:thumbs:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
ironpike
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by ironpike »

I can share my experience with Spanish barbels .
I've fished 3 different species: Andalusian barbel (Luciobarbus sclateri), Iberian barbel (Luciobarbus comizo) and Luciobarbus bocagei
They are hard to fool, but they prey on bleaks quite often, got one with a Fiiish Black Minnow this summer, though it broke the line when I was about to land it. The fight was hard to forget, they are f**** torpedoes when hooked.
Also got many follows and failed attacks on crankbaits.
About other cyprinids, I've caught common carps and even huge bleaks while fishing catfish and perchs with spoons and soft plastics. When food dwindles any fish can become a fierce predator.
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Post by dannytaylor »

ironpike wrote: Wed Nov 29 2017 11:02 -
I've fished 3 different species: Andalusian barbel (Luciobarbus sclateri), Iberian barbel (Luciobarbus comizo) and Luciobarbus bocagei
They are hard to fool, but they prey on bleaks quite often, got one with a Fiiish Black Minnow this summer, though it broke the line when I was about to land it. The fight was hard to forget, they are f**** torpedoes when hooked.
About other cyprinids, I've caught common carps and even huge bleaks while fishing catfish and perchs with spoons and soft plastics. When food dwindles any fish can become a fierce predator.
I'd really like to have a go at the different barbel species in Spain, looks like cracking fishing

(You can keep them horrible slug fish :laughs: :wink: )
Creek Chub
Roach
Roach

Post by Creek Chub »

Cheers Alan
The 16lb 1oz fish caught by Charles Cassey at Ibsley was, I'm pretty sure, foul hooked Alan, he was using a Devon minnow however.
pikerholic2
Barbel
Barbel

Post by pikerholic2 »

Big barbel? Check these f u c k e r s out ,
IMG_3818.JPG
IMG_3817.JPG

Gona need a bigger tin of spam !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Crack Hargreaves...........far out of town.

Mr godfrey I post mostly drivel
pikerholic2
Barbel
Barbel

Post by pikerholic2 »

Only got to go to Iran , planning the trip now , they take lures and have been netted to 200 kgs

Now that would pull ones string ....any one speak Iranian ?
Crack Hargreaves...........far out of town.

Mr godfrey I post mostly drivel
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Post by dannytaylor »

That's proper that and what a mission going to Iran!!!!!

(Any pioneers?)
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

These guys are the ones to ask, especially if you want a prolonged stay.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Se ... lution.svg

Iranian Revolutionary Guards

:exit:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Worth a Google. There's an English bloke who has been and done it. :wink:
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Post by dannytaylor »

:laughs:
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Creek Chub wrote: Tue Dec 12 2017 17:39 -

Cheers Alan
The 16lb 1oz fish caught by Charles Cassey at Ibsley was, I'm pretty sure, foul hooked Alan, he was using a Devon minnow however.
Yeah your right I remember and it complete the tail!

Cheers Alan
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Neville Fickling »

14 06. And 12 08 from Trent on half lamp on two size 4 trebles during two sessions about 7 years ago
Happy to be alive!!!!
dropped_run
Perch
Perch

Post by dropped_run »

dannytaylor wrote:
ironpike wrote: Wed Nov 29 2017 11:02 -
I'd really like to have a go at the different barbel species in Spain, looks like cracking fishing

(You can keep them horrible slug fish :laughs: :wink: )

I was fishing a massive flooded valley called Lake zahara about 15 years back, for anything that swims. Had some bass on lures and carp on meat/corn. Forgot to set the baitrunner on one of the rods and the next thing I knew was when the pod hit me in the side of the head as one took off.....was about 7lb but fought brilliantly for a stillwater barbel :laughs:
davelumb wrote: Wed Dec 13 2017 19:05 -
Worth a Google. There's an English bloke who has been and done it. :wink:
there was a pnp/Lure angler magazine article about this a year or so ago i think, cant remember which but it looked absolutely awesome. He said Iran was absolutely nothing like its portrayed in the press, no great suprise there!
James Dobie.