CRT zander removal

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Post Reply
Kev Berry
General
General
Posts: 17258
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

CRT zander removal

Post by Kev Berry » Thu Apr 26 2018 06:55

Seen something on jokebook about the CRT are intending to remove zander from canals (to please the matchmen)
details were a bit sketchy, has anyone heard anything.

User avatar
Jason Skilton
Bailiff
Bailiff
Posts: 6185
Joined: Wed Sep 07 2011 05:00
Location: East Anglia

Re: CRT zander removal

Post by Jason Skilton » Thu Apr 26 2018 07:29

They have been doing it a long while Kev......the issue is until the EA remove them from their lists of invasive species, CRT will just keep on removing them......but even if EA did list them as a now native special CRT would still probably cull their numbers.

I managed to get a Suffolk clubr to remove the kill on sight policy after I managed to get a statement from EA saying that if zander are present in a stillwater for more than 20+ years, they can be classed as a naturalised species.
I'm a right blogger http://ananglersdanglinglog.blogspot.com

I'm 67% northern, own a collie (well 1/2 collie).....Doncaster here i come!!!!

PAC Anglian Region LO & Suffolk (08) RO
PAC14 Press Officer

User avatar
micky dolan
Major
Major
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue Aug 30 2011 05:00
Location: JUST OFF THE M6

Re: CRT zander removal

Post by micky dolan » Thu Apr 26 2018 08:20

Page in Anglers mail on it , already happening :mad:

Kev Berry
General
General
Posts: 17258
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: CRT zander removal

Post by Kev Berry » Thu Apr 26 2018 08:54

Just found out that a certain CRT official may be connected to MEM (electro fishing company) who are making a lot of money out of this from doing the netting and selling the zander to the food trade

User avatar
alan behenna
Major
Major
Posts: 1154
Joined: Mon Sep 14 2015 15:45
Location: Where Sheep are Nervous.

Re: CRT zander removal

Post by alan behenna » Thu Apr 26 2018 10:36

Kev Berry wrote:
Just found out that a certain CRT official may be connected to MEM (electro fishing company) who are making a lot of money out of this from doing the netting and selling the zander to the food trade

"May" be connected..............? "May" don't cut it Kev'...........interesting supposition though.

:neutral:

User avatar
dropped_run
Captain
Captain
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00

Re: CRT zander removal

Post by dropped_run » Thu Apr 26 2018 10:47

they have openly said that the zander are being sold for food, or if they cant be sold, incinerated.

I'd heard rumours Old Bury Hill was supposed to be taking some of the GUC fish, assuming that was a myth?
James Dobie.

Kev Berry
General
General
Posts: 17258
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: CRT zander removal

Post by Kev Berry » Thu Apr 26 2018 10:52

alan behenna wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Just found out that a certain CRT official may be connected to MEM (electro fishing company) who are making a lot of money out of this from doing the netting and selling the zander to the food trade

"May" be connected..............? "May" don't cut it Kev'...........interesting supposition though.

:neutral:
from ZAC facebook

It's a con. A massive con. John Ellis is hiding behind the law and he knows it. Why do MEM do all the electrofishing? Is John Ellis still a director of MEM? Can they provide every request from tenant clubs to remove Zander? It stinks, absolutely stinks. Someone is making an awful amount of money from this and all roads lead back to John Ellis. The frequency of the electrofishing would shock you (no pun intended). Why stop when it is so profitable?

User avatar
Jason Skilton
Bailiff
Bailiff
Posts: 6185
Joined: Wed Sep 07 2011 05:00
Location: East Anglia

Re: CRT zander removal

Post by Jason Skilton » Thu Apr 26 2018 12:40

John Ellis hasn't been involved with MEM fisheries since 1997 Kev according to Companies House.
I'm a right blogger http://ananglersdanglinglog.blogspot.com

I'm 67% northern, own a collie (well 1/2 collie).....Doncaster here i come!!!!

PAC Anglian Region LO & Suffolk (08) RO
PAC14 Press Officer

User avatar
Jason Skilton
Bailiff
Bailiff
Posts: 6185
Joined: Wed Sep 07 2011 05:00
Location: East Anglia

Re: CRT zander removal

Post by Jason Skilton » Thu Apr 26 2018 12:47

I think the only way of saving the Zander in the CRT water is for the EA to declare that the Zander in their waters has become naturalist. Therefore, they don't have a reason for culling them.

At the moment the CRT are lawfully removing an invasive species from the waters.

Over to the ZAC, AT, EA and CRT then really Kev.
I'm a right blogger http://ananglersdanglinglog.blogspot.com

I'm 67% northern, own a collie (well 1/2 collie).....Doncaster here i come!!!!

PAC Anglian Region LO & Suffolk (08) RO
PAC14 Press Officer

Kev Berry
General
General
Posts: 17258
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: CRT zander removal

Post by Kev Berry » Thu Apr 26 2018 13:16

Jason Skilton wrote:
I think the only way of saving the Zander in the CRT water is for the EA to declare that the Zander in their waters has become naturalist. Therefore, they don't have a reason for culling them.

At the moment the CRT are lawfully removing an invasive species from the waters.

Over to the ZAC, AT, EA and CRT then really Kev.
the CRT are saying that as they don't have a licence for zander in their waters then they must remove them :scratch:

the EA are already saying that if there have been zander in a water 20years then they are naturalised

User avatar
Jason Skilton
Bailiff
Bailiff
Posts: 6185
Joined: Wed Sep 07 2011 05:00
Location: East Anglia

Re: CRT zander removal

Post by Jason Skilton » Thu Apr 26 2018 14:15

The "permit" is a red herring.....an excuse to validate their desire to remove zander.

Until the EA state and list the CRT waters as having a naturalised population of zander, CRT are legally bound to removed the (if they course not to turn a blind eye).

If CRT wanted to, they could produce evidence that zander have been in their waters for 20+ years and as such should be treat as a naturalised species.
I'm a right blogger http://ananglersdanglinglog.blogspot.com

I'm 67% northern, own a collie (well 1/2 collie).....Doncaster here i come!!!!

PAC Anglian Region LO & Suffolk (08) RO
PAC14 Press Officer

User avatar
Neville Fickling
Brigadier
Brigadier
Posts: 7198
Joined: Wed Feb 01 2012 06:00
Location: gainsborough
Contact:

Re: CRT zander removal

Post by Neville Fickling » Thu Apr 26 2018 17:21

time to ask Mark Owen at Angling trust how the proposal to get them off the invasive list is going

User avatar
Jason Skilton
Bailiff
Bailiff
Posts: 6185
Joined: Wed Sep 07 2011 05:00
Location: East Anglia

Re: CRT zander removal

Post by Jason Skilton » Thu Apr 26 2018 17:37

Neville Fickling wrote:
time to ask Mark Owen at Angling trust how the proposal to get them off the invasive list is going
:thumbs:
I'm a right blogger http://ananglersdanglinglog.blogspot.com

I'm 67% northern, own a collie (well 1/2 collie).....Doncaster here i come!!!!

PAC Anglian Region LO & Suffolk (08) RO
PAC14 Press Officer

Kev Berry
General
General
Posts: 17258
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: CRT zander removal

Post by Kev Berry » Thu Apr 26 2018 19:34

Neville Fickling wrote:
time to ask Mark Owen at Angling trust how the proposal to get them off the invasive list is going
thought you were on the case :scratch:

User avatar
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave
Posts: 5581
Joined: Tue Sep 06 2011 05:00
Location: Soon to be the Gin Palace...

Re: CRT zander removal

Post by Fentiger01 » Thu Apr 26 2018 21:47

Kev Berry wrote:
Seen something on jokebook about the CRT are intending to remove zander from canals (to please the matchmen)
I've been doing a quiet little bit on the Midland Canals each season for about 5 years now Kev and I've yet to see a single matchman or even a pleasure angler with a Roach Pole. I've met one old boy who showed me a fantastic catch of Roach taken in midwinter outside a pub on an LACC stretch (breadflake and quill float - awesome stuff) but other than that, the only people I meet on the canals are lure anglers and the very odd Carp angler. It would appear that catching fish on a canal is a bit difficult for most tastes and that suits me right down to the ground!

Sadly it sounds like someone may be on the make with this latest development.
"The EU is the old Soviet Union but dressed in Western clothes" - Mikhail Gorbachev

Kev Berry
General
General
Posts: 17258
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: CRT zander removal

Post by Kev Berry » Thu Apr 26 2018 22:43

Fentiger01 wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Seen something on jokebook about the CRT are intending to remove zander from canals (to please the matchmen)
I've been doing a quiet little bit on the Midland Canals each season for about 5 years now Kev and I've yet to see a single matchman or even a pleasure angler with a Roach Pole. I've met one old boy who showed me a fantastic catch of Roach taken in midwinter outside a pub on an LACC stretch (breadflake and quill float - awesome stuff) but other than that, the only people I meet on the canals are lure anglers and the very odd Carp angler. It would appear that catching fish on a canal is a bit difficult for most tastes and that suits me right down to the ground!

Sadly it sounds like someone may be on the make with this latest development.
it does sound like that,

don't forget the CRT removed pike from a northern canal ---just for ONE match

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 21337
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: CRT zander removal

Post by davelumb » Fri Apr 27 2018 08:02

CRT lease a canal to PAC so I doubt there is a predator removal policy throughout their canals. It is more likely either driven by the leaseholders or someone else with a regional/local interest.

Kev Berry
General
General
Posts: 17258
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: CRT zander removal

Post by Kev Berry » Fri Apr 27 2018 08:54

davelumb wrote:
CRT lease a canal to PAC so I doubt there is a predator removal policy throughout their canals. It is more likely either driven by the leaseholders or someone else with a regional/local interest.
I believe there are no zander in the PAC canal Dave---and considering these fish are being netted and sold on for the table it would appear the driving force is money, particularly as the CRT are using a very thin excuse for removing them. I expect the EA know about these canals and what they hold, and I doubt the CRT have been told to remove them. The EA stance is that if they have been in a water for 20 years they are naturalised.
Somebody is making a few bob out of this---that's the reason they being taken out

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 21337
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: CRT zander removal

Post by davelumb » Fri Apr 27 2018 08:55

Kev Berry wrote:
davelumb wrote:
CRT lease a canal to PAC so I doubt there is a predator removal policy throughout their canals. It is more likely either driven by the leaseholders or someone else with a regional/local interest.
I believe there are no zander in the PAC canal Dave---and considering these fish are being netted and sold on for the table it would appear the driving force is money, particularly as the CRT are using a very thin excuse for removing them. I expect the EA know about these canals and what they hold, and I doubt the CRT have been told to remove them. The EA stance is that if they have been in a water for 20 years they are naturalised.
Somebody is making a few bob out of this---that's the reason they being taken out
You mentioned pike removal, Kev.

Kev Berry
General
General
Posts: 17258
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: CRT zander removal

Post by Kev Berry » Fri Apr 27 2018 09:05

davelumb wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
davelumb wrote:
CRT lease a canal to PAC so I doubt there is a predator removal policy throughout their canals. It is more likely either driven by the leaseholders or someone else with a regional/local interest.
I believe there are no zander in the PAC canal Dave---and considering these fish are being netted and sold on for the table it would appear the driving force is money, particularly as the CRT are using a very thin excuse for removing them. I expect the EA know about these canals and what they hold, and I doubt the CRT have been told to remove them. The EA stance is that if they have been in a water for 20 years they are naturalised.
Somebody is making a few bob out of this---that's the reason they being taken out
You mentioned pike removal, Kev.
The pike were removed for a div 3 match Dave, a one day match. I mentioned it just to show the CRT will do just as they like in response to another post about the lack of anglers on some canals and the good sport zander wise

User avatar
Neville Fickling
Brigadier
Brigadier
Posts: 7198
Joined: Wed Feb 01 2012 06:00
Location: gainsborough
Contact:

Re: CRT zander removal

Post by Neville Fickling » Fri Apr 27 2018 13:03

Kev is correct about the pike removal on the canal up here. ZAC have got AT to work on getting zander considered as naturalised.

piker60
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 2825
Joined: Sun Nov 18 2012 06:00

Re: CRT zander removal

Post by piker60 » Fri Apr 27 2018 20:09

Fentiger01 wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Seen something on jokebook about the CRT are intending to remove zander from canals (to please the matchmen)
I've been doing a quiet little bit on the Midland Canals each season for about 5 years now Kev and I've yet to see a single matchman or even a pleasure angler with a Roach Pole. I've met one old boy who showed me a fantastic catch of Roach taken in midwinter outside a pub on an LACC stretch (breadflake and quill float - awesome stuff) but other than that, the only people I meet on the canals are lure anglers and the very odd Carp angler. It would appear that catching fish on a canal is a bit difficult for most tastes and that suits me right down to the ground!

Sadly it sounds like someone may be on the make with this latest development.
Could be someone on the make. Zander's a first class food fish. It's found on a lot of menus on the continent. I eat it myself occasionally when there.
"The best argument against democracy, is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter"
W.Churchill

User avatar
Mike J
Major
Major
Posts: 2484
Joined: Wed Nov 09 2016 09:26
Location: Wessex

Re: CRT zander removal

Post by Mike J » Sun Apr 29 2018 12:19

piker60 wrote:
Fentiger01 wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Seen something on jokebook about the CRT are intending to remove zander from canals (to please the matchmen)
I've been doing a quiet little bit on the Midland Canals each season for about 5 years now Kev and I've yet to see a single matchman or even a pleasure angler with a Roach Pole. I've met one old boy who showed me a fantastic catch of Roach taken in midwinter outside a pub on an LACC stretch (breadflake and quill float - awesome stuff) but other than that, the only people I meet on the canals are lure anglers and the very odd Carp angler. It would appear that catching fish on a canal is a bit difficult for most tastes and that suits me right down to the ground!

Sadly it sounds like someone may be on the make with this latest development.
Could be someone on the make. Zander's a first class food fish. It's found on a lot of menus on the continent. I eat it myself occasionally when there.

I agree.
If prepared correctly it is almost indistinguishable from Cod.
Scaled, filleted, deep fried, with a squeeze of lemon, Yummy!

Kev Berry
General
General
Posts: 17258
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: CRT zander removal

Post by Kev Berry » Sun Apr 29 2018 16:22

Mike J wrote:
piker60 wrote:
Fentiger01 wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Seen something on jokebook about the CRT are intending to remove zander from canals (to please the matchmen)
I've been doing a quiet little bit on the Midland Canals each season for about 5 years now Kev and I've yet to see a single matchman or even a pleasure angler with a Roach Pole. I've met one old boy who showed me a fantastic catch of Roach taken in midwinter outside a pub on an LACC stretch (breadflake and quill float - awesome stuff) but other than that, the only people I meet on the canals are lure anglers and the very odd Carp angler. It would appear that catching fish on a canal is a bit difficult for most tastes and that suits me right down to the ground!

Sadly it sounds like someone may be on the make with this latest development.
Could be someone on the make. Zander's a first class food fish. It's found on a lot of menus on the continent. I eat it myself occasionally when there.

I agree.
If prepared correctly it is almost indistinguishable from Cod.
Scaled, filleted, deep fried, with a squeeze of lemon, Yummy!


I had one die on me, so that went into the frying pan along with a coating of seasoned flour----quite nice but a little bland, needed a little something added to it, but nothing like cod imo

User avatar
nordbeck
Major
Major
Posts: 1527
Joined: Sun Jan 11 2015 15:35
Location: Deutschland :D

Re: CRT zander removal

Post by nordbeck » Sun Apr 29 2018 17:40

Mike J wrote:
piker60 wrote:
Fentiger01 wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Seen something on jokebook about the CRT are intending to remove zander from canals (to please the matchmen)
I've been doing a quiet little bit on the Midland Canals each season for about 5 years now Kev and I've yet to see a single matchman or even a pleasure angler with a Roach Pole. I've met one old boy who showed me a fantastic catch of Roach taken in midwinter outside a pub on an LACC stretch (breadflake and quill float - awesome stuff) but other than that, the only people I meet on the canals are lure anglers and the very odd Carp angler. It would appear that catching fish on a canal is a bit difficult for most tastes and that suits me right down to the ground!

Sadly it sounds like someone may be on the make with this latest development.
Could be someone on the make. Zander's a first class food fish. It's found on a lot of menus on the continent. I eat it myself occasionally when there.

I agree.
If prepared correctly it is almost indistinguishable from Cod.
Scaled, filleted, deep fried, with a squeeze of lemon, Yummy!
It is more like seabass without the iodine salty flavour. Texture, firmness, even the skin and scales are very similar to it.Family wise it is not surprising as they are al perch somewhat. In fine dining zander is often used as a local alternative, prices for premium zander (local, wild and over 8 lbs) are around 14-17€ per kilo fresh and 10ish frozen.

Cod is much softer and flakier in texture. The freshwater fish coming closest would be the burbot, but again missing the distinct iodine flavour the sea fish all have.
Greetings from the continent,

Tim

piker60
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 2825
Joined: Sun Nov 18 2012 06:00

Re: CRT zander removal

Post by piker60 » Sun Apr 29 2018 20:22

Mike J wrote:
piker60 wrote:
Fentiger01 wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Seen something on jokebook about the CRT are intending to remove zander from canals (to please the matchmen)
I've been doing a quiet little bit on the Midland Canals each season for about 5 years now Kev and I've yet to see a single matchman or even a pleasure angler with a Roach Pole. I've met one old boy who showed me a fantastic catch of Roach taken in midwinter outside a pub on an LACC stretch (breadflake and quill float - awesome stuff) but other than that, the only people I meet on the canals are lure anglers and the very odd Carp angler. It would appear that catching fish on a canal is a bit difficult for most tastes and that suits me right down to the ground!

Sadly it sounds like someone may be on the make with this latest development.
Could be someone on the make. Zander's a first class food fish. It's found on a lot of menus on the continent. I eat it myself occasionally when there.

I agree.
If prepared correctly it is almost indistinguishable from Cod.
Scaled, filleted, deep fried, with a squeeze of lemon, Yummy!
It's certainly tasty Mike :thumbs:
"The best argument against democracy, is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter"
W.Churchill

fishandy
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Dec 05 2015 13:16

Re: CRT zander removal

Post by fishandy » Mon Jul 23 2018 21:08

did anybody see a cook on the wild side with hugh fearnly whatshisname he was on the guc with electro fishers catching zander which they said were an illegal stocking and were harming native fish stocks he took all their catch and stuffed them up the chimney on his narrow boat to smoke them cant remember who the electro fishers were but mem seems to ring a bell

Post Reply