CRT zander removal

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Kev Berry

CRT zander removal

Post by Kev Berry »

Seen something on jokebook about the CRT are intending to remove zander from canals (to please the matchmen)
details were a bit sketchy, has anyone heard anything.
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Re: CRT zander removal

Post by Jason Skilton »

They have been doing it a long while Kev......the issue is until the EA remove them from their lists of invasive species, CRT will just keep on removing them......but even if EA did list them as a now native special CRT would still probably cull their numbers.

I managed to get a Suffolk clubr to remove the kill on sight policy after I managed to get a statement from EA saying that if zander are present in a stillwater for more than 20+ years, they can be classed as a naturalised species.
micky dolan
Barbel
Barbel

Post by micky dolan »

Page in Anglers mail on it , already happening :mad:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Just found out that a certain CRT official may be connected to MEM (electro fishing company) who are making a lot of money out of this from doing the netting and selling the zander to the food trade
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Post by alan behenna »

Kev Berry wrote: Thu Apr 26 2018 08:54 -
Just found out that a certain CRT official may be connected to MEM (electro fishing company) who are making a lot of money out of this from doing the netting and selling the zander to the food trade

"May" be connected..............? "May" don't cut it Kev'...........interesting supposition though.

:neutral:
dropped_run
Perch
Perch

Post by dropped_run »

they have openly said that the zander are being sold for food, or if they cant be sold, incinerated.

I'd heard rumours Old Bury Hill was supposed to be taking some of the GUC fish, assuming that was a myth?
James Dobie.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

alan behenna wrote: Thu Apr 26 2018 10:36 -
Kev Berry wrote: Thu Apr 26 2018 08:54 -

"May" be connected..............? "May" don't cut it Kev'...........interesting supposition though.

:neutral:
from ZAC facebook

It's a con. A massive con. John Ellis is hiding behind the law and he knows it. Why do MEM do all the electrofishing? Is John Ellis still a director of MEM? Can they provide every request from tenant clubs to remove Zander? It stinks, absolutely stinks. Someone is making an awful amount of money from this and all roads lead back to John Ellis. The frequency of the electrofishing would shock you (no pun intended). Why stop when it is so profitable?
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

John Ellis hasn't been involved with MEM fisheries since 1997 Kev according to Companies House.
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

I think the only way of saving the Zander in the CRT water is for the EA to declare that the Zander in their waters has become naturalist. Therefore, they don't have a reason for culling them.

At the moment the CRT are lawfully removing an invasive species from the waters.

Over to the ZAC, AT, EA and CRT then really Kev.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Jason Skilton wrote: Thu Apr 26 2018 12:47 -
I think the only way of saving the Zander in the CRT water is for the EA to declare that the Zander in their waters has become naturalist. Therefore, they don't have a reason for culling them.

At the moment the CRT are lawfully removing an invasive species from the waters.

Over to the ZAC, AT, EA and CRT then really Kev.
the CRT are saying that as they don't have a licence for zander in their waters then they must remove them :scratch:

the EA are already saying that if there have been zander in a water 20years then they are naturalised
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

The "permit" is a red herring.....an excuse to validate their desire to remove zander.

Until the EA state and list the CRT waters as having a naturalised population of zander, CRT are legally bound to removed the (if they course not to turn a blind eye).

If CRT wanted to, they could produce evidence that zander have been in their waters for 20+ years and as such should be treat as a naturalised species.
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Neville Fickling »

time to ask Mark Owen at Angling trust how the proposal to get them off the invasive list is going
Happy to be alive!!!!
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Neville Fickling wrote: Thu Apr 26 2018 17:21 -
time to ask Mark Owen at Angling trust how the proposal to get them off the invasive list is going
:thumbs:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Neville Fickling wrote: Thu Apr 26 2018 17:21 -
thought you were on the case :scratch:
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Kev Berry wrote: Thu Apr 26 2018 06:55 -
Seen something on jokebook about the CRT are intending to remove zander from canals (to please the matchmen)
I've been doing a quiet little bit on the Midland Canals each season for about 5 years now Kev and I've yet to see a single matchman or even a pleasure angler with a Roach Pole. I've met one old boy who showed me a fantastic catch of Roach taken in midwinter outside a pub on an LACC stretch (breadflake and quill float - awesome stuff) but other than that, the only people I meet on the canals are lure anglers and the very odd Carp angler. It would appear that catching fish on a canal is a bit difficult for most tastes and that suits me right down to the ground!

Sadly it sounds like someone may be on the make with this latest development.
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Fentiger01 wrote: Thu Apr 26 2018 21:47 -
I've been doing a quiet little bit on the Midland Canals each season for about 5 years now Kev and I've yet to see a single matchman or even a pleasure angler with a Roach Pole. I've met one old boy who showed me a fantastic catch of Roach taken in midwinter outside a pub on an LACC stretch (breadflake and quill float - awesome stuff) but other than that, the only people I meet on the canals are lure anglers and the very odd Carp angler. It would appear that catching fish on a canal is a bit difficult for most tastes and that suits me right down to the ground!

it does sound like that,

don't forget the CRT removed pike from a northern canal ---just for ONE match
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

CRT lease a canal to PAC so I doubt there is a predator removal policy throughout their canals. It is more likely either driven by the leaseholders or someone else with a regional/local interest.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

davelumb wrote: Fri Apr 27 2018 08:02 -
CRT lease a canal to PAC so I doubt there is a predator removal policy throughout their canals. It is more likely either driven by the leaseholders or someone else with a regional/local interest.
I believe there are no zander in the PAC canal Dave---and considering these fish are being netted and sold on for the table it would appear the driving force is money, particularly as the CRT are using a very thin excuse for removing them. I expect the EA know about these canals and what they hold, and I doubt the CRT have been told to remove them. The EA stance is that if they have been in a water for 20 years they are naturalised.
Somebody is making a few bob out of this---that's the reason they being taken out
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Kev Berry wrote: Fri Apr 27 2018 08:54 -
I believe there are no zander in the PAC canal Dave---and considering these fish are being netted and sold on for the table it would appear the driving force is money, particularly as the CRT are using a very thin excuse for removing them. I expect the EA know about these canals and what they hold, and I doubt the CRT have been told to remove them. The EA stance is that if they have been in a water for 20 years they are naturalised.
Somebody is making a few bob out of this---that's the reason they being taken out
You mentioned pike removal, Kev.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

davelumb wrote: Fri Apr 27 2018 08:55 -
Kev Berry wrote: Fri Apr 27 2018 08:54 -
You mentioned pike removal, Kev.
The pike were removed for a div 3 match Dave, a one day match. I mentioned it just to show the CRT will do just as they like in response to another post about the lack of anglers on some canals and the good sport zander wise
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Neville Fickling »

Kev is correct about the pike removal on the canal up here. ZAC have got AT to work on getting zander considered as naturalised.
Happy to be alive!!!!
piker60
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker60 »

Could be someone on the make. Zander's a first class food fish. It's found on a lot of menus on the continent. I eat it myself occasionally when there.
"The best argument against democracy, is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter"
W.Churchill
It doesn't matter who you vote for the government still gets in.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

piker60 wrote: Fri Apr 27 2018 20:09 -

Could be someone on the make. Zander's a first class food fish. It's found on a lot of menus on the continent. I eat it myself occasionally when there.

I agree.
If prepared correctly it is almost indistinguishable from Cod.
Scaled, filleted, deep fried, with a squeeze of lemon, Yummy!
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Mike J wrote: Sun Apr 29 2018 12:19 -

I agree.

I had one die on me, so that went into the frying pan along with a coating of seasoned flour----quite nice but a little bland, needed a little something added to it, but nothing like cod imo
nordbeck
Chub
Chub

Post by nordbeck »

I agree.
It is more like seabass without the iodine salty flavour. Texture, firmness, even the skin and scales are very similar to it.Family wise it is not surprising as they are al perch somewhat. In fine dining zander is often used as a local alternative, prices for premium zander (local, wild and over 8 lbs) are around 14-17€ per kilo fresh and 10ish frozen.

Cod is much softer and flakier in texture. The freshwater fish coming closest would be the burbot, but again missing the distinct iodine flavour the sea fish all have.
Greetings from the continent,

Tim
piker60
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker60 »

I agree.
It's certainly tasty Mike :thumbs:
"The best argument against democracy, is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter"
W.Churchill
It doesn't matter who you vote for the government still gets in.
fishandy
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by fishandy »

did anybody see a cook on the wild side with hugh fearnly whatshisname he was on the guc with electro fishers catching zander which they said were an illegal stocking and were harming native fish stocks he took all their catch and stuffed them up the chimney on his narrow boat to smoke them cant remember who the electro fishers were but mem seems to ring a bell