Perchers-Guess the weight-Pleeeese !

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Snapper
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Perchers-Guess the weight-Pleeeese !

Post by Snapper »

Gents, I'm gonna come clean from the start, I've never done a lot of big Perch fishing in the past but have been seriously thinking about targeting them this year as they are such good looking buggers and feisty with it. Last week whilst fishing a small Rudd ( all year classes ) lake/pond I had a Pavarrotti of a Perch hit one that I was bringing in and held on long enough to be netted. I take no credit for this fluked fish and am not really a numbers person but having never had a really big stripey on the bank curiousity has got the better of me . I wouldn't like to hazard a guess as to the weight due to my own inexperience of the larger examples of the species and so throw myself at the feet of you seasoned Perchers as I see so many Perch in the weeklies that I feel do not warrant the weights quoted. After resting it in the landing net I trudged off to my adjacent accommodation and dug out my Reuben Heaton 9000's to weigh it. Surprise, surprise, after putting the batteries in they started playing up. Changed the batteries, still the same, so just settled on the photo ( as you can see, a creative eye is not one of my fortes ! ).

If it helps, the cork section visible on my rod handle is 41cm long.

Not easy I know but any guesstimates ?

Anyway, a win-win situation. I fluked a decent stripey and even the Rudd which it had gorged down its throat swam off when returned ! Result !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Re: Perchers-Guess the weight-Pleeeese !

Post by suffolk si »

Very hard to say, looks very fat, probably a good three?
dropped_run
Perch
Perch

Post by dropped_run »

perch length to weight ratio is a non-starter at the best of times.

I've had a 4-4 at 42cm long, in January, that was of a similar build. The opposite to that is a 49cm at 2-10 from Pitsford in August and a 43 at 3-9 on the same day.

That looks like it hasn't spawned or is retaining water mind you, unless its just a fatty.

High three is a good shout, in short :laughs:
James Dobie.
Nobby C
Chub
Chub

Post by Nobby C »

I'd put around 3lb but that's spawn or dropsy to my mind. What I would do is return with lobs and live baits and some decent scales
Snapper
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Snapper »

Had some lobs with me Nobby ( No livebaiting allowed ) , was only getting 1lb plus Rudd and Roach on them ! ( with the odd mudsucker interlude ). You may well be right with your observations but the environment would have been bang on for growing on a large Perch. The only one caught in a very small ( less than 1/2 acre but with good depth and limited fishing numbers of fishermen and areas allowed to fish ) water amongst over 300 hundred fish taken that week, and an endless supply of Rudd throughout the year classes to gorge on. The Rudd that it took would have been a good 7" in old money from snout to tip of tail. Don't even know if the owners were aware of it's presence, they certainly didn't advertise any big Perch in their advertising literature.

Thanks for the input so far gents, it makes for interesting if not conclusive reading. Keep it coming !
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

I'd say the perch has dropsy....it a very unusual body shape thats for sure.
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

Could also be tape worms, I have seen some fish with very extended bellies which turned out to be tape worms, manky bloody things.

Will.