Perch problem

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Harps
Stickleback
Stickleback

Perch problem

Post by Harps »

Hi guys just was abit worried about my catch the other night and thought I’d ask your advice. I was live baiting for pike and I caught this 2lb perch reeled in fine , unhooked fine but I noticed a lot of blood on the unhooking mat but there was none coming from where the hooks was anyways I put it back in the water held it upright for abit then a massive lump of blood like a clot comes out of the fish it flaps so I let it go then it starts swimming side ways and goes under does anyone know what it may of been because it was a beautiful fish and I hope To catch it again as was my second time catching it . Cheers lads
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Re: Perch problem

Post by Jason Skilton »

Hi,

Livebaiting for pike during the warmer months......hope that's thats on a large deep scottish loch rather than say the shallow norfolk broads....

Anyway, the blood may have come from a hook nicking the gills if the hooks were just in the mouth. If the hooks were deeper then, its likely to be from other organs.
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Perch problem

Post by zodiac »

Jason Skilton wrote: Wed Aug 22 2018 10:57 -
Hi,

Livebaiting for pike during the warmer months......hope that's thats on a large deep scottish loch rather than say the shallow norfolk broads....

Anyway, the blood may have come from a hook nicking the gills if the hooks were just in the mouth. If the hooks were deeper then, its likely to be from other organs.

Of course, livebaiting being banned up here, it would be a 'freshly killed' deadbait!
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly