Strange behaviour

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Kev Berry

Strange behaviour

Post by Kev Berry »

So----me and Croc were after a zander, or a pike, we were both fishing the same swim. Nothing doing then in the space of about 10 minutes we had something like 6-7 runs, which were all dropped. Baits all bore the signs of a zander attack, one live killed and 2 deads savaged. We thought a pack of small zander had moved in. Then Croc got another one and managed to hook it. Got it in the net and a nice zed.
That's got to be nearly 10 says he, If you want to call it 10 then ten it is mate says I (was easy 11+ :laughs: ) he didn't bother weighing it, took pic and chucked it back.
So we waited in anticipation of getting another zed---not a bleep (I got a scrappy 8lb pike after another hour)
So was this one zander responsible for running round all the baits and mauling them, or were any others that were doing it spooked when they picked the baits up?
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Re: Strange behaviour

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Kev Berry wrote: Wed Oct 17 2018 18:11 -
So----me and Croc were after a zander, or a pike, we were both fishing the same swim. Nothing doing then in the space of about 10 minutes we had something like 6-7 runs, which were all dropped. Baits all bore the signs of a zander attack, one live killed and 2 deads savaged. We thought a pack of small zander had moved in. Then Croc got another one and managed to hook it. Got it in the net and a nice zed.
That's got to be nearly 10 says he, If you want to call it 10 then ten it is mate says I (was easy 11+ :laughs: ) he didn't bother weighing it, took pic and chucked it back.
So we waited in anticipation of getting another zed---not a bleep (I got a scrappy 8lb pike after another hour)
So was this one zander responsible for running round all the baits and mauling them, or were any others that were doing it spooked when they picked the baits up?
Going on what you have said ,Kev I would say your mate caught the culprit!

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Pack of small zeds moving through, with the bigger one trailing them, maybe, Kev? :shrug:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Wed Oct 17 2018 19:17 -
Pack of small zeds moving through, with the bigger one trailing them, maybe, Kev? :shrug:
could be, but I think it was the one zed. First bait it nobbled was a 6oz liveo, then it had it again when it was chucked back out (dead) then Crocs bait went a couple of times and his was a small dace, just chopped and dropped, then mine again then Crocs a couple more times--- then he got it. Neither of us even touched one of the runs till Croc got it with one treble right in the front of its snout.
All this went off in about a ten minute span
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Kev Berry wrote: Wed Oct 17 2018 22:17 -
Mark_Houghton wrote: Wed Oct 17 2018 19:17 -
could be, but I think it was the one zed. First bait it nobbled was a 6oz liveo, then it had it again when it was chucked back out (dead) then Crocs bait went a couple of times and his was a small dace, just chopped and dropped, then mine again then Crocs a couple more times--- then he got it. Neither of us even touched one of the runs till Croc got it with one treble right in the front of its snout.
All this went off in about a ten minute span
Ahh you never mentioned it was so lightly hooked in the first post. Makes more sense you thinking it was the same fish now :thumbs:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Just had a chat with my mate Ian Wilson who has a much better understanding of zeds than me---he says a small pack of zander moving through
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Kev Berry wrote: Thu Oct 18 2018 15:50 -
Just had a chat with my mate Ian Wilson who has a much better understanding of zeds than me---he says a small pack of zander moving through
:thumbs:
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

I used to experience this a lot on the lower Ouse when it was full of schoolies - you'd get a mad rush of runs, then all over. Half hour goes by and back they all come. I would even try to move rods along the bank to keep in front of them for longer, which did work to some extent. We used to get up 50 runs a days on some occasions, all in broad daylight and always schoolies, 4 to 6 pounders. Used to get a lot of missed runs, with baits slashed. Very frustrating if memory serves. The better fish were loaners in most cases and tended to come at night. All changed now mind...
Piking Plonker
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Mark Phillips wrote: Thu Oct 18 2018 19:56 -
I used to experience this a lot on the lower Ouse when it was full of schoolies - you'd get a mad rush of runs, then all over. Half hour goes by and back they all come. I would even try to move rods along the bank to keep in front of them for longer, which did work to some extent. We used to get up 50 runs a days on some occasions, all in broad daylight and always schoolies, 4 to 6 pounders. Used to get a lot of missed runs, with baits slashed. Very frustrating if memory serves. The better fish were loaners in most cases and tended to come at night. All changed now mind...

What divers have told me supports what you say.
The nippers going around in gangs and one/two big fish going around and nowhere near the children.
Two big fish going around together is quite normal with some sea and freshwater species.
Last edited by Mike J on Sat Oct 20 2018 09:44, edited 1 time in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Was there much of a time between Croc having that fish and the previous runs?

Cheers ALan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Sat Oct 20 2018 06:42 -

Cheers ALan
no---all happened in about 10mins, crocs fish was the last pick up---nothing after that
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Kev Berry wrote: Sat Oct 20 2018 08:32 -

Cheers ALan
no---all happened in about 10mins, crocs fish was the last pick up---nothing after that
Could it have been a large lone fish following behind the schoolies picking up what they have damaged?

Cheers Alan
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Sat Oct 20 2018 08:44 -
Kev Berry wrote: Sat Oct 20 2018 08:32 -

Cheers ALan
Could it have been a large lone fish following behind the schoolies picking up what they have damaged?

Cheers Alan
after having a talk with people who are much more into zander than me that seems to be what probably happened Alan
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

I remember reading Steve Younger saying that he often put a bait quite a bit away from others which were receiving a bit of attention as there was sometimes a big old Zed following the pack.
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!