Perch Talk.

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Perch Talk.

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Dave Horton wrote: Sat Dec 29 2018 17:39 -
Mark_Houghton wrote: Sat Dec 29 2018 15:20 -
Dave Horton wrote: Sat Dec 29 2018 15:09 -
Alan_dalton wrote: Fri Dec 28 2018 21:29 -
Dave Horton wrote: Fri Dec 28 2018 19:07 -
Monts wrote: Fri Dec 28 2018 07:00 -
Yep pleased with that one Dave, off down the river shortly and see if I can grab another couple.
Well I hope you do better than me? I kicked myself up the ar$e and actually went this afternoon. I Paddled the Yak to a spot off the beaten track for the last couple of hours of light. Lip hooked Roach on a size 4 circle (I'm experimenting) under a bobber type float, was dropped in several likely looking spots before I had my first take. Typical Pike take resulted in a Jack of about a pound just holding on to the bait right until I got it to the net. Even as I played this Pike I started developing plans for it! So, quickly, plopped a fresh bait back in the same area. Within minutes it was taken again in an identical looking take? Convinced it was the little Pike and knowing that I was using a circle hook I left the take (what to me, a circles novice) an uncomfortable amount of time before gently winding down. A healthy curve formed in the rod and the Yak even rotated a good deal towards what suddenly felt like a good Perch? Sure enough an absolute clonker of a Perch appeared out of the gloom and I could see that it was hooked right in the scissor but was only attached by a thin membrane. I foolishly eased off a bit and it powered down out of sight before the line went slack and it was gone. The stretch of river rarely does anything over 4lbs 8 oz but this fish really did look 4ish and would have made me smile good and proper!

(I'll have to go back now face)
That's got to be gutting!
These things don't quite muster the feelings of despair they once did, Al.

(But I did manage to throw a few fcuks at myself face)
I dont know whats worse, losing a fish you didnt see and wondering how big it really was, or seeing its big and losing it....sickener Dave, but at least you know where they are now :thumbs:
I know what you mean Mark, I'm still haunted by several fish that just plodded on a long line and came adrift after longer than usual!

(A 40 got caught along the bank from me a few hours later on one of those occasions face)
Yes, a few, both seen, and unseen still haunt me too mate...
Fish on....
Perch
Perch

Post by Fish on.... »

Do you guys perch fish when it’s this cold? The piking is hard going at the moment so gonna start mixing things up a bit with some perch and chub sessions
Actually know as Danny..
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Yes I do and will be having a go on Saturday. Was a little chilly last down to - 5 but the next two nights are OK. I may get lucky and winkle a fish or two out. It's been cold for around three weeks now so they will be used to it.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Fish on.... wrote: Wed Jan 30 2019 21:19 -
Do you guys perch fish when it’s this cold? The piking is hard going at the moment so gonna start mixing things up a bit with some perch and chub sessions

A week ago - 2+ on a feeder and single red from a deep bare midriver channel and a 12oz on the float in midwater alongside structure, same bait.
Not my fish though.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Fish on....
Perch
Perch

Post by Fish on.... »

I’ll be heading out shortly, fingers crossed
Actually know as Danny..
Bardney boy
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Bardney boy »

I had a day local to me yesterday, fished junkied lob on a hair rig, feeder filled with molehill soil with bits of lob mixed in along with a few red maggots.
Waited all day with nothing to show but when the sun went off the water I landed a pb stripey that went 3-15 on the scales.
Very pleased.
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Bardney boy wrote: Sat Feb 16 2019 22:57 -
I had a day local to me yesterday, fished junkied lob on a hair rig, feeder filled with molehill soil with bits of lob mixed in along with a few red maggots.
Waited all day with nothing to show but when the sun went off the water I landed a pb stripey that went 3-15 on the scales.
Very pleased.
cracker, well done mate :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

Bardney boy wrote: Sat Feb 16 2019 22:57 -
Very pleased.
Nicely done! Would have been a 4 to many an angler!

(I tip my hat face)
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Congratulations, monster perch
Regards
Tom
Bardney boy
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Bardney boy »

What few zed trips I've had this season have been fairly barren affairs so decided to target the Perch for the last few weeks of the season, I sometimes walk around a match water to see what the guys end up weighing in.
One guy did a big two then a fortnight ago a three popped up so decided to try it as don't need telling twice.
Back again maybe later in the week.
Steve Burke
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Steve Burke »

Dave Horton wrote: Sun Feb 17 2019 00:57 -

Nicely done! Would have been a 4 to many an angler!

(I tip my hat face)
Ditto.👍
Antony
Chub
Chub

Post by Antony »

I had a lot of fun catching perch out the Trent last year.My best ever was a cracking 4lb 4oz beauty,it was 17.5 inches long and as fat as a pig. I caught it on a plug and it made Fish Of The Week in the Angler’s Mail
The photos are from last summer!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Going fishing ? Don’t forget ya camera!!
Antony
Chub
Chub

Post by Antony »

Biggest one last year
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Going fishing ? Don’t forget ya camera!!
pete webster
Barbel
Barbel

Post by pete webster »

Now's the time to be on them lads.
3.12, 3.7, 3.5 3.3, 3.0 best 5 of a 16 fish catch
20190319_221544.jpg
Last edited by pete webster on Sat Mar 23 2019 16:46, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Looks like someone’s had a red letter Day .
Nice one Pete :thumbs:
Regards
Tom
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

:afraid:
Wow Pete what a catch
Mind telling your method and was it a small water or large.

PM if you fish thieves might be a problem.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Absolutely agree Pete, ( great catch too👍)they are fat as butter around here, look at the belly on this three😳
pete webster
Barbel
Barbel

Post by pete webster »

Mike J wrote: Sun Mar 24 2019 09:54 -
:afraid:
Wow Pete what a catch
Mind telling your method and was it a small water or large.

PM if you fish thieves might be a problem.
Mike the venue is a man made water way approx 5 miles long.
I fished with a waggler rod and a bomb rod,the bomb rod is fished just over the near shelf on top of red maggots and chopped lobby, the float is fished around the baited area and basically kept moving, recasting twitching etc.
Location is key and it took me a year or so to pin them down as last season was poor, experience on this water plays a big part as well, as an aside you have to put the bait in to get the fish competing, one big perch in a swim is a lot harder to catch than 5 imo as they can be super competetive and you often catch the biggest fish first.
That day I had 16 perch for 42lb and 5 bream for around 15lb all from one swim, a real red letter day :smile:
pete webster
Barbel
Barbel

Post by pete webster »

The next day I went back(who wouldn't) and had this 3.8
20190320_195948.jpg
along with

5 bream

And the 3rd day I went to a different stretch and had a 3lb fish
IMG-20190321-WA0002.jpg
Along with
A 2.12, 2.9, 2.9 and a few 1lb fish.
Over the 3 days I used approx 250 lobworm(£30) and 3 pints of red maggots.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Thanks for the info Pete :handshake:
That surely has to be one of the very best catches of big Perch ever. Big fish by design par excellence!

I must mention a Dutch friend used to catch some huge Perch on soft lures but for the real big fish he always had to catch most of the smaller fish first, exactly the opposite to your bait fishing experiences.

I have a lake that is pictured in The Biggest etc etc book, to my knowlegde none of 'them' have fished it, it certainly has a goodish population of Perch but never once has a big fish been caught by netting or angling.
Dragging a swim and fishing over with worm produces skimmers, decent tench and carp, many small rudd plus the odd tiny perch and that all.

Any ideas, suggestions most welcome.
pete webster
Barbel
Barbel

Post by pete webster »

Mike J wrote: Sun Mar 24 2019 11:04 -
That surely has to be one of the very best catches of big Perch ever. Big fish by design par excellence!

I must mention a Dutch friend used to catch some huge Perch on soft lures but for the real big fish he always had to catch most of the smaller fish first, exactly the opposite to your bait fishing experiences.

I have a lake that is pictured in The Biggest etc etc book, to my knowlegde none of 'them' have fished it, it certainly has a goodish population of Perch but never once has a big fish been caught by netting or angling.
Dragging a swim and fishing over with worm produces skimmers, decent tench and carp, many small rudd plus the odd tiny perch and that all.

I would probably try small livo's Mike, are you sure they are still in there?.
Or I would walk round with just a float rod and lobworm and look to fish to features, dont feed anything apart from one or two half lobs, fish each swim for 20 minutes then move on but feed the next swim with a couple of worms 10 minutes before you do move, keep the bait agitated and look to get a bite straight after casting or twitching the bait, one thing that did work and does regularly is using double lobworm, they twist and twirl when twitched and the perch sometimes can't resist that, most of the fish above were caught on double worm baits.
pete webster
Barbel
Barbel

Post by pete webster »

suffolk si wrote: Sun Mar 24 2019 10:21 -
Absolutely agree Pete, ( great catch too👍)they are fat as butter around here, look at the belly on this three😳
Fit to burst Si.
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

I agree with Pete, try lives, most selective method for me👍
fergie68
Barbel
Barbel

Post by fergie68 »

That's a amazing catch of perch. What would those fish be feeding on normally. ❓
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP
pete webster
Barbel
Barbel

Post by pete webster »

fergie68 wrote: Mon Mar 25 2019 09:13 -
That's a amazing catch of perch. What would those fish be feeding on normally. ❓
Well the place is full of fry mate, but where I caught them wasn't one of the main areas I would associate with that tbh, I did notice the pike spawning in the reeds opposite so maybe they were there for the spawn?
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

pete webster wrote: Sun Mar 24 2019 12:06 -
Mike J wrote: Sun Mar 24 2019 11:04 -

I would probably try small livo's Mike, are you sure they are still in there?.
Or I would walk round with just a float rod and lobworm and look to fish to features, dont feed anything apart from one or two half lobs, fish each swim for 20 minutes then move on but feed the next swim with a couple of worms 10 minutes before you do move, keep the bait agitated and look to get a bite straight after casting or twitching the bait, one thing that did work and does regularly is using double lobworm, they twist and twirl when twitched and the perch sometimes can't resist that, most of the fish above were caught on double worm baits.

Many thanks :thumbs:
Advice from the Master, I will apply and report back.

The place is half full of lillies plus a few big branches so plenty of 'swims', I have tried small live rudd but only caught biggish eels and a few small carp (no pike dispite a 30+ being in there).
The only worms Ive tried have been smallish dendros from my wormery on a ledger, next wet night I will be out with the head torch and give your roaming 2bait method a decent trial.
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

Every time I try small lives I get bloody carp!! 4 doubles to 15 last time!
Love the hit!
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

pete webster wrote: Sun Mar 24 2019 10:43 -
The next day I went back(who wouldn't) and had this 3.8

20190320_195948.jpg
along with

5 bream

And the 3rd day I went to a different stretch and had a 3lb fish

IMG-20190321-WA0002.jpg

Along with
A 2.12, 2.9, 2.9 and a few 1lb fish.
Over the 3 days I used approx 250 lobworm(£30) and 3 pints of red maggots.
You have my envy Webbo... some haul of quality fish that :thumbs:
Love the hit!
pete webster
Barbel
Barbel

Post by pete webster »

Kevin O'Keeffe wrote: Mon Mar 25 2019 10:35 -
Every time I try small lives I get bloody carp!! 4 doubles to 15 last time!
The only time I would fish a commercial for perch , if that's what you are fishing, is when it's freezing cold, hopefully to keep the mud pigs away.
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

It was Pete... Had a few to over 2 but pigs where nicking my valuable little silver darlings!
Love the hit!