Perch Talk.

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
pete webster
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Perch Talk.

Post by pete webster »

Kevin O'Keeffe wrote: Mon Mar 25 2019 14:23 -
It was Pete... Had a few to over 2 but pigs where nicking my valuable little silver darlings!
Only other thing Kev is fish really close in or tight to features and don't feed anything.
fergie68
Barbel
Barbel

Post by fergie68 »

pete webster wrote: Mon Mar 25 2019 09:40 -
fergie68 wrote: Mon Mar 25 2019 09:13 -
That's a amazing catch of perch. What would those fish be feeding on normally. ❓
Well the place is full of fry mate, but where I caught them wasn't one of the main areas I would associate with that tbh, I did notice the pike spawning in the reeds opposite so maybe they were there for the spawn?

Cheers Pete. There's been some real pokers on here recently and I'm always interested in what feeding they have.
Up here I've only ever had fish looking like that on lochs with some sort fish farms on them.
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

pete webster wrote: Sun Mar 24 2019 10:26 -
Mike J wrote: Sun Mar 24 2019 09:54 -
:afraid:
Wow Pete what a catch
Mind telling your method and was it a small water or large.

PM if you fish thieves might be a problem.
Mike the venue is a man made water way approx 5 miles long.
I fished with a waggler rod and a bomb rod,the bomb rod is fished just over the near shelf on top of red maggots and chopped lobby, the float is fished around the baited area and basically kept moving, recasting twitching etc.
Location is key and it took me a year or so to pin them down as last season was poor, experience on this water plays a big part as well, as an aside you have to put the bait in to get the fish competing, one big perch in a swim is a lot harder to catch than 5 imo as they can be super competetive and you often catch the biggest fish first.
That day I had 16 perch for 42lb and 5 bream for around 15lb all from one swim, a real red letter day :smile:
:thumbs:

If that's where I think it is it's good to know it's still producing.
pete webster
Barbel
Barbel

Post by pete webster »

davelumb wrote: Mon Mar 25 2019 21:40 -
Wow Pete what a catch

I fished with a waggler rod and a bomb rod,the bomb rod is fished just over the near shelf on top of red maggots and chopped lobby, the float is fished around the baited area and basically kept moving, recasting twitching etc.
Location is key and it took me a year or so to pin them down as last season was poor, experience on this water plays a big part as well, as an aside you have to put the bait in to get the fish competing, one big perch in a swim is a lot harder to catch than 5 imo as they can be super competetive and you often catch the biggest fish first.
That day I had 16 perch for 42lb and 5 bream for around 15lb all from one swim, a real red letter day :smile:

Even though that's my best ever day Dave it's a lot harder than it was, they are very localised now,my mate was only 50 yards away and he only had 1 perch?.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

pete webster wrote: Mon Mar 25 2019 21:51 -
Wow Pete what a catch

Even though that's my best ever day Dave it's a lot harder than it was, they are very localised now,my mate was only 50 yards away and he only had 1 perch?.
I heard it had got harder a few years ago. A lot of water to find them in too. Not easy unless you can search the place out on a regular basis.
pete webster
Barbel
Barbel

Post by pete webster »

davelumb wrote: Mon Mar 25 2019 22:06 -
Wow Pete what a catch

I heard it had got harder a few years ago. A lot of water to find them in too. Not easy unless you can search the place out on a regular basis.
I only fish it for 2 or 3 weeks after the pike season then it's on to the bream fishing, That was my second fishing trip on there since last year, must be luck eh :thumbs:
Still not had one as big as yours though ya jammy b*****d :boing:
Last edited by pete webster on Tue Mar 26 2019 02:21, edited 1 time in total.
pete webster
Barbel
Barbel

Post by pete webster »

fergie68 wrote: Mon Mar 25 2019 21:37 -
pete webster wrote: Mon Mar 25 2019 09:40 -
fergie68 wrote: Mon Mar 25 2019 09:13 -
That's a amazing catch of perch. What would those fish be feeding on normally. ❓
Well the place is full of fry mate, but where I caught them wasn't one of the main areas I would associate with that tbh, I did notice the pike spawning in the reeds opposite so maybe they were there for the spawn?

Cheers Pete. There's been some real pokers on here recently and I'm always interested in what feeding they have.
Up here I've only ever had fish looking like that on lochs with some sort fish farms on them.
They are only that fat because they will probably spawn within a few weeks Fergie.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

pete webster wrote: Tue Mar 26 2019 01:11 -
davelumb wrote: Mon Mar 25 2019 22:06 -
Wow Pete what a catch

I only fish it for 2 or 3 weeks after the pike season then it's on to the bream fishing, That was my second fishing trip on there since last year, must be luck eh :thumbs:
Still not had one as big as yours though ya jammy b*****d :boing:
I don't know why I went back again to spoil my average! :grin:
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

pete webster wrote: Mon Mar 25 2019 14:28 -
Kevin O'Keeffe wrote: Mon Mar 25 2019 14:23 -
It was Pete... Had a few to over 2 but pigs where nicking my valuable little silver darlings!
Only other thing Kev is fish really close in or tight to features and don't feed anything.
I found fishing the lives on a drop shot set up around structure worked well Pete. looking forward to giving it a real go again soon.
Finding a 3 plusser is tough in the pits down here - a 4 would be knee trembler time :o).
Love the hit!