chub on lures

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
J-P
Roach
Roach

Re: chub on lures

Post by J-P »

Mike J wrote: Wed Jul 17 2019 09:37 -
Mark_Houghton wrote: Mon Jan 21 2019 12:45 -
Something i`ve noticed is that with chub, casting upstream or across has always worked better than lures cast downstream and worked back up. Might be coincidence but I cant recall a single chub coming to a downstream cast. Anyone else noticed that?

Precisely the same as you Mark.
Up and across and retrieved at a speed so it never goes beyond 45 degrees downstream, anything near the margins and its teeth only.

Planning to take the rod for a walk along the river some evening this week, simply because there are less mozzies than on the lake. Here chubby chubby :grin:

J-P
The place I PMd about, the Chinese tried scavanging bass off the local lads, when they were refused they came on a bit heavy and the kids went home, but it came to a quick end when a few Fathers intercepted the offenders.
Since then they have bought their own tackle and copied the locals mackerel snatching method, at mackerel time its a free for all anyway so nobody worries.
I sometimes see a Chinese guy fishing Hurst Spit and he is very skillful, fishing through the worst of the weather and always helpful with the latest catch news.
At some point I intend on trying fishing in a spot I found that is within London but on Thames tidal waters. Waiting for a day I don't feel like moving much beyond turning the pages of a book. I have been told that the Chinese people fishing the relevant spot tend to turn up with dozens of rods between them and leave with buckets of whiting. Not witnessed it myself but informed by locals.

I get the impression that there is a serious lack of funding to pay for the policing of waters. Quite sad really, but I suppose I'm not surprised as much of the country is struggling. Reminded of that when I visited the GP yesterday after having not been there in well over a year. Half the doctors had left, and a post-it note on the door informing patients that they no longer offer same day emergency appointments. I asked when I the next appointment was available, they had one just under two weeks later. Shocking as this was the biggest practice in the area.
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Mark Phillips wrote: Wed Jul 17 2019 19:34 -
Flipflopjoe wrote: Mon Jul 15 2019 18:38 -
Yay :yahoo:
Been waiting ages to post on here......

968B26F8-4804-48BA-BB2B-35DEEBDED8F8.jpeg

.........3lb 1oz, on a little 6cm spikey Shad.

I’ve caught chub on lures before but alway as by-catch when pike fishing. This one I actually went out to a place I’d recce’d with the intention of catching a chub so it’s a little bit more special :thumbs:
Worth the wait, nice one :thumbs:
Cheers mate !
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

J-P wrote: Wed Jul 17 2019 19:44 -
Something i`ve noticed is that with chub, casting upstream or across has always worked better than lures cast downstream and worked back up. Might be coincidence but I cant recall a single chub coming to a downstream cast. Anyone else noticed that?

Up and across and retrieved at a speed so it never goes beyond 45 degrees downstream, anything near the margins and its teeth only.

Planning to take the rod for a walk along the river some evening this week, simply because there are less mozzies than on the lake. Here chubby chubby :grin:

J-P
The place I PMd about, the Chinese tried scavanging bass off the local lads, when they were refused they came on a bit heavy and the kids went home, but it came to a quick end when a few Fathers intercepted the offenders.
Since then they have bought their own tackle and copied the locals mackerel snatching method, at mackerel time its a free for all anyway so nobody worries.
I sometimes see a Chinese guy fishing Hurst Spit and he is very skillful, fishing through the worst of the weather and always helpful with the latest catch news.
At some point I intend on trying fishing in a spot I found that is within London but on Thames tidal waters. Waiting for a day I don't feel like moving much beyond turning the pages of a book. I have been told that the Chinese people fishing the relevant spot tend to turn up with dozens of rods between them and leave with buckets of whiting. Not witnessed it myself but informed by locals.

I get the impression that there is a serious lack of funding to pay for the policing of waters. Quite sad really, but I suppose I'm not surprised as much of the country is struggling. Reminded of that when I visited the GP yesterday after having not been there in well over a year. Half the doctors had left, and a post-it note on the door informing patients that they no longer offer same day emergency appointments. I asked when I the next appointment was available, they had one just under two weeks later. Shocking as this was the biggest practice in the area.

J-P
Whiting are only with us for a limited time during the year, some places you get hoards of 6-8inchers, others filleting sized torpedoes. A few hundered even a thousand buckets wouldn't make a dent in the shoals so its nothing to get concerned about.
But if there are whiting there will be bass behind them, down here if the bass are around in force you can pick the whiting off the shingle where they been driven in an attempt to escape.
I dont know about the pike potential in the lower Thames but the whispers of mega sized catfish should certainly not be ignored.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Seb P. Phillips
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Seb P. Phillips »

I do a lot Chub fishing using lures, I'm lucky that I've got a local river thats rammed with the things.

Small round-bodied cranks, spinners, swimbaits and Small jerks all do the business, but any decent lure will catch Chub I reckon.

I've even had them smash bigger Pike lures occasionally !
J-P
Roach
Roach

Post by J-P »

Mike J wrote: Thu Jul 18 2019 07:42 -
J-P wrote: Wed Jul 17 2019 19:44 -

J-P

J-P
Whiting are only with us for a limited time during the year, some places you get hoards of 6-8inchers, others filleting sized torpedoes. A few hundered even a thousand buckets wouldn't make a dent in the shoals so its nothing to get concerned about.
But if there are whiting there will be bass behind them, down here if the bass are around in force you can pick the whiting off the shingle where they been driven in an attempt to escape.
I dont know about the pike potential in the lower Thames but the whispers of mega sized catfish should certainly not be ignored.
Are whiting any good as deadbait, or not enough oily smell to them?
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

All I can say is that they catch for me.
Under a float their 'flash' seems to acheive better results than most popular species inc. sardine, with the exception of Rudd or Dace.
If your thinking of catching your own you need a local tip-off when they are 'in', benifits are you can eat the larger fish freezing the heads for bait but beware sometimes they are all torpedoes, on others Bass are amongst them.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
J-P
Roach
Roach

Post by J-P »

Mike J wrote: Sun Aug 25 2019 10:15 -
Under a float their 'flash' seems to acheive better results than most popular species inc. sardine, with the exception of Rudd or Dace.
If your thinking of catching your own you need a local tip-off when they are 'in', benifits are you can eat the larger fish freezing the heads for bait but beware sometimes they are all torpedoes, on others Bass are amongst them.
Thanks, I will make time to go and catch some at the aforementioned spot. A chill day out that should save me some money. I would rather when possible catch my own bait.

Currently there are supposed to be a small amount about, as well as small flatfish (flounder primarily). The approaching winter months being the optimum time for them with some codling and the odd school of bass I'm told.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

J-P wrote: Sun Aug 25 2019 13:26 -
Mike J wrote: Sun Aug 25 2019 10:15 -
Thanks, I will make time to go and catch some at the aforementioned spot. A chill day out that should save me some money. I would rather when possible catch my own bait.

Currently there are supposed to be a small amount about, as well as small flatfish (flounder primarily). The approaching winter months being the optimum time for them with some codling and the odd school of bass I'm told.

They always seem be shoal thickest in the late afternoons/evenings before a full moon on a flood/incoming tide, September give or take.
Baited feathers or tiny spoons are the local methods, just a couple of rod lengths out and no more.
If the Bass are really in amongst them you can often pick the escapees up off the beach, they are the ones you want for bait 3-6" and nobody is interested in them as they are too small for eating.
Ive never done any good using a pick-up as a live-bait for the Bass, too many others to choose from I reckon.

Search the Angles on Horseback recipe, whiting fillets wrapped in streaky bacon, seriously yummy!
J-P
Roach
Roach

Post by J-P »

I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes; certainly intend on checking out the recipe, assuming I can catch anything big enough. It sadly won't be from a beach, it will still be within London but one of the few decent spots from what I can tell (or at least decent by London standards!)

Thanks for the advice, especially as far as the recipe is concerned :stir:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

J-P wrote: Sun Aug 25 2019 22:25 -
I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes; certainly intend on checking out the recipe, assuming I can catch anything big enough. It sadly won't be from a beach, it will still be within London but one of the few decent spots from what I can tell (or at least decent by London standards!)

:boing: Ive sourced the chillie paste!

Just need the ribs and off we go :stir:
J-P
Roach
Roach

Post by J-P »

Mike J wrote: Mon Aug 26 2019 11:56 -
J-P wrote: Sun Aug 25 2019 22:25 -

:boing: Ive sourced the chillie paste!

Just need the ribs and off we go :stir:
Let me know how it goes! I hope you both enjoy it.
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Agreed, Mark.
Got some waders for chubbing streams recently, and noticed upstream wading and downstream retrieves more productive. Chub seem far less spooked by wading into bottom of a pool, than any bank-top approach, however stealthy!
Peter Newman