Pike Behavior?

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
SeanPikey
Stickleback
Stickleback

Pike Behavior?

Post by SeanPikey »

Hello all,
This coming weekend I'll be fishing a lake where the depth doesn't change much throughout, there is not much in the form of weed or holding spots for the pike where they will be in the warmer water, there are reeds around the lake and one small island where the wind tends to blow towards, water temp is roughly 4degrees

My question is what would be the behaviour of a pike in a lake such as this?

I'm trying to figure out where would be best to start
I was thinking the middle of the lake to start where bream frequently show with hopes that there are also roach shoaled up and pike will be on the move, then if no luck move over to the island end in the hope they are in the cover in the windy end

Thanks in advance guys
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Pike Behavior?

Post by Mike J »

Welcome aboard :handshake:

Yours sounds like my 'last week of the season' lake.
Mine's not a deads water so my default has been to bomb in every bit of bread etc Ive collected during the winter, usually between 4-8 buckets full, and fish into/over it for bait and around it or at my release point with what I catch.
It can be slow going (if you ignore the slimies) but Ive never had a snapper doing it.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
SeanPikey
Stickleback
Stickleback

Re: Pike Behavior?

Post by SeanPikey »

Thank you ☺
I'm not sure what you mean by feeding bread. I take it the bread is to attract silver fish to then fish for pike around?