Cat Landing Net

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
The Fatchap
Roach
Roach

Cat Landing Net

Post by The Fatchap »

Hi Gang,
Anyone got any recommendations for 60inch landing net for cats? I've looked at the Catfish Pro model but it's too dear for my wallet.
Many of the carp nets are big enough but seem a bit flimsy.
Cheers
Colin
Brian Springthorpe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Re: Cat Landing Net

Post by Brian Springthorpe »

Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Land them by hand like everyone else does, only a pussy nets a cat.......

Gedit :laughs:

:exit:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Mike J wrote: Sun Feb 24 2019 02:37 -
Land them by hand like everyone else does, only a pussy nets a cat.......

Gedit :laughs:

:exit:
Besides, you'd have to burn the net afterwards . . . .
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
dave aylett
Perch
Perch

Post by dave aylett »

Chris Browns cat net.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

My greys 42" landing net is ridiculously large, so much so that I don't use it for my carp fishing anymore, I bought a sensible sized one to replace it. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for cats, at least in the UK! I might measure it later and add some pics.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Depends on the size you'll be catching, but up to say 40lb you can get away with a 50" net. A 42" would be too small, but if you only fish for them now and again, you can flop one in, but it's far from ideal. A tip I offer to you is to shorten the cord a bit, which makes the net narrower, but longer - what you want for cats, as once the heads in, the rest of it will follow. I always managed with that until I started to regularly catch bigger cats, then I used the catfish pro net 60" for a long time. But in more recent years, have switched over to using a 55" Free Spirit S net. I already had 42" and 46" arms, plus two handles, so it made sense to get the biggest size for cats. I like it as it is very light compared the other net, as well as being much easier to move around in the water and I fish on my own a lot - so landing a big cat is a lot easier with the Free Spirit Net. In fact, I have landed two 50's into it at the same time, when I had one in the net and another rod went as I was about to reel it in. It's got a good, soft, deep mesh too - so well suited to retaining them while you get sorted for weighing. OK, you're looking at around £180 for the 55" with a 6ft handle, but that's only half the price of a decent rod or reel these days. Again, I cut the cord down a bit, so I get more 'reach' with the net...
Piking Plonker