Catfish Nets ?

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
piker66
Roach
Roach

Catfish Nets ?

Post by piker66 »

I'm just in the process of kitting myself out for UK cats. What are the pros and cons, if any, of the Catfish Pro landing net versus the Chris Brown catfish net please ?

Also recommendations for unhooking mats and weigh slings for UK fish to mid 50's please ?

Cheers ! :grin:
...the Devil came and took me, from bar to street to bookie...
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Re: Catfish Nets ?

Post by suffolk si »

The catfish pro looks good but a bit pricey, I’ve had fish to nearly 50 in a fifty inch net without major problems to be honest( hoping to beat that this weekend😁) also my E.T. Sling has been adequate. Not sure if I’d spend loads on what are deemed “medium” sized cats, others may disagree though?....
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

To be honest I’m the same as Si
I’ve got a 50 inch Ngt net ( cheap as chips ) like Si I’ve had em to mid 40 without any problems.
Unhooking Matt ,I got on EBay it’s like a bed .
The bloke I got it off had it made for himself then progressed to something else.
Again my sling has done me proud so far ( couldn’t tell you who made it )
I do like the catfish pro stuff but at the moment I’m happy with what I’ve got ,
But I might get a slide Matt .
Regards
Tom
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

A fifty coming my way tonight Tom👍I can feel it in my water!😁
The biggest thing about a sling is get a strong one , had a cheapo start ripping when a mid forty got a bit grumpy in it whilst I was trying to weigh it. Weighing tripod probably a useful addition to mention👍
Other than upgrading my reels I haven’t found I needed to buy too much new kit but like I said I only really fish waters with “medium sizes” cats in
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

I hand landed my first one the other night.

(Get a glove face)
Catfish Paul
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Catfish Paul »

I have the catfish pro net.
It's ok, does the job.
It's biggest fault is that it's way too deep!!

Could be half the depth then it would be more manageable

Haven't used the Chris Brown net so can't comment.

Like Dave, I generally glove them out nowadays but having a large landing net keeps the fishery owners happy.

50 inch net generally is acceptable for most fisheries rules.
I have a 50 inch net too which is more isolies shaped triangle than an equal lateral which helps with the catfish length
It's old and I can't remember the make

I have the catfish pro sling and mat, think they are called Euro, which are good bits of kit .
Big enough for UK cats

You can always put 2 mats together rather than but a catfish one, if you don't catfish often.
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

suffolk si wrote: Sun May 05 2019 15:03 -
A fifty coming my way tonight Tom👍I can feel it in my water!😁
The biggest thing about a sling is get a strong one , had a cheapo start ripping when a mid forty got a bit grumpy in it whilst I was trying to weigh it. Weighing tripod probably a useful addition to mention👍
Other than upgrading my reels I haven’t found I needed to buy too much new kit but like I said I only really fish waters with “medium sizes” cats in
Fingers crossed for ya Si
Like myself I know you’ve wanted a 50 for a while.
Let us know ,if you get lucky
Regards
Tom
piker66
Roach
Roach

Post by piker66 »

Thanks lads.
...the Devil came and took me, from bar to street to bookie...
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

I now use a free spirit S net, 55". I shorten the cord by a few inches, which narrows the front of the net, but extends the reach of it - exactly what you need for cats. Great net for cats in in the UK - very light, easy to manoeuvre in the water and the bigger, 50+ fish, go in with no problems. I was using a 60" catfish pro net for some years, but it was cumbersome and when you're on your own, trying to land a big cat, not the easiest net to use. I still take it as a back up net, but the FS 55" is way better.
Piking Plonker
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

My Greys 50" is way too big for UK carp, I reckon it could be used for UK cats!