Snigging

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
pikin
Perch
Perch

Re: Snigging

Post by pikin »

So the hooklink is semi fixed inline into the boom?
Rotten bottom tied off to the poly ball leg on the boom?
Paul Ikin
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

pikin wrote: Tue Jul 16 2019 17:07 -
Free running - there's a buffer bead over the swivel. Weak link to lead from eye on poly ball leg. :thumbs:
pikin
Perch
Perch

Post by pikin »

davelumb wrote: Tue Jul 16 2019 17:30 -
pikin wrote: Tue Jul 16 2019 17:07 -
Free running - there's a buffer bead over the swivel. Weak link to lead from eye on poly ball leg. :thumbs:
Interesting.

Cheers Dave
Paul Ikin
hb904460
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by hb904460 »

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

hb904460 wrote: Tue Jul 16 2019 18:07 -
:cool:
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Neville Fickling »

A rather large eel was seen by a member in my large stock pond. If I can find time I’ll have a go. Giant Rudd blanking at the moment
Happy to be alive!!!!
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

Further to the potential " record breaking eel" reported in Angling Times, i asked the EA the true weight of the eel under the freedom of imformation act, eventually the replied

Length.... 103.9cm
Weight ...2.7kg
Girth not recorded

Obviously this story is bollox, either the eel was never record breaking or more likely, the EA officer has decided not to reveal the true weight to anglers. As i said before, tree huggers in disguise, won t waste any more time on this.
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

P.s The AT writeup says 139 cm which is 54 inches and would be huge, obviously this EA offi er has decided to change his story to " protect" the fish. Thats the way i see it although who knows. Anyone know what the length of that metal tray the eel is in would be in length in the AT photo?
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

What are your preferred hooks for "snigging"?

I've been using super speci's with the barb crushed which have caused no problems with the perch I've caught whilst targeting the, as yet, evasive quarry.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Bob Watson wrote: Sun Jul 21 2019 21:32 -
What are your preferred hooks for "snigging"?

I've been using super speci's with the barb crushed which have caused no problems with the perch I've caught whilst targeting the, as yet, evasive quarry.
been using Korum Power size 6 barbless hooks for mussel baits and small pieces of roach, size 4 owner barbless for larger pieces/halves/full roach---with a bit of elastic band to keep the baits from being knocked off the hook.
Using 38lb 49 strand wire for hook length (soft and as flexible as braid)
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I've never been fussy about hooks for eels so long as they are strong enough and the right profile. Back in the day it was Jack Hilton carp hooks. Been using Varivas hooks for about three seasons; Chinu for deads and squid, Semi Circles for worms. Their sizing is a bit strange though.
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Neville Fickling »

Lumby you’ll have to come here lake record 5 no one fished for them. I will if I get chance the Rudd need immediate attention though I expect I’ll not catch any!
Happy to be alive!!!!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Neville Fickling wrote: Mon Jul 22 2019 20:12 -
Lumby you’ll have to come here lake record 5 no one fished for them. I will if I get chance the Rudd need immediate attention though I expect I’ll not catch any!
I don't know if I can face travelling far to be driven mad by eels! :laughs:

Another session of striking at thin air every fifteen minutes last night. :dizzy:

Did land two eventually.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

I was pumping down a rather large water, it was a big pump drawing through an 15" pipe for which we had made a temporary guard.
One morning an eel was jammed in the guard, it didn't have its head but the body was apx 4" wide, out of interest it was weighed a day later, I was told it went 9lbs.
Ive seen quite a few as thick as scaffolding poles but never one with a body as big.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

One tench on the worm tonight, still not absolutely positive of their presence but if you don't go, you don't know!!
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

One 3 inch dead roach chewed up without a bleep yesterday
Another successful blank :laughs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

I have been on the river very regualrly recently and have seen eels almost every day until the rain coloured it up.
Almost all were of broomhandle size and every one was feeding very actively which probably drew my attention in the first place.

One eel I watched for around 20min was swaying in the current with its mouth gripping weed that was growing on a horizontal steel structure that crossed the river just a foot below the surface. I initially thought the eel was snagged on a broken line but its wasn't, as I watched from the footbridge directly above I could see it was in the process of laying its body behind the structure, it was amazing to see how it manoeuvred itself in the current until it succeeded, laying in the calm water behind the structure.
Sometimes its more interesting watching than fishing.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by delboy »

Happy days boy,See you lot out there ,you don't have to catch fish to enjoy yourselfs.............................................................but it doe's help sometimes
Nothing wrong with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Its everyone else.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Striking at thin air last night until I gave up at one this morning. Fared slightly better on Monday. :wink:
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

At least you have the cricket to entertain you today Dave, with the new "softer" Aussies!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

suffolk si wrote: Thu Aug 01 2019 10:03 -
At least you have the cricket to entertain you today Dave, with the new "softer" Aussies!
I hope England don't have me tearing my hair out like the bloody eels do!
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

davelumb wrote: Thu Aug 01 2019 10:29 -

Lumby.gif

Only another six weeks :thumbs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Monts wrote: Thu Aug 01 2019 20:30 -

Lumby.gif

Yeah, I usually stop eeling in early September. :grin:

Had a cracking run that didn't seem like it would stop last night. Trouble was I was playing a jack that had grabbed a 2" smelt tail on the retrieve. As soon as I netted the jack the run stopped. That was it for the session. :hissy:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

davelumb wrote: Fri Aug 02 2019 08:05 -

Lumby.gif

Had a cracking run that didn't seem like it would stop last night. Trouble was I was playing a jack that had grabbed a 2" smelt tail on the retrieve. As soon as I netted the jack the run stopped. That was it for the session. :hissy:
should have dropped the jack rod :wink:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Kev Berry wrote: Fri Aug 02 2019 08:27 -

Lumby.gif

I would have, but at first I thought the run was the jack crossing the other line. :roll:

I'd probably have missed the run anyway - the worms were gone when I wound the rod in. If I'd been bream fishing an eel would have swallowed the bait right down....
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

davelumb wrote: Fri Aug 02 2019 08:46 -
Kev Berry wrote: Fri Aug 02 2019 08:27 -

Lumby.gif

I would have, but at first I thought the run was the jack crossing the other line. :roll:

I'd probably have missed the run anyway - the worms were gone when I wound the rod in. If I'd been bream fishing an eel would have swallowed the bait right down....
I would have, but at first I thought the run was the jack crossing the other line.

ah---the feeling you get when you suddenly realise its not the scamp doing it to the other line :laughs:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Another blank last night.
Ian tried a new trick and used a 3 inch hook length. Hooked a small dead roach through the rail root, secured it with a piece of elastic band on the hook (barbless)
Wound in to find it had been snaffled without so much as a single bleep--elastic square still on the hook.
I got bored so started feeding some of Nells dinner in the side, soon had the feckers literally queuing up. I was leaning over the edge practically hand feeding them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Kev Berry wrote: Fri Aug 09 2019 12:08 -
Ian tried a new trick and used a 3 inch hook length. Hooked a small dead roach through the rail root, secured it with a piece of elastic band on the hook (barbless)
Wound in to find it had been snaffled without so much as a single bleep--elastic square still on the hook.
I got bored so started feeding some of Nells dinner in the side, soon had the feckers literally queuing up. I was leaning over the edge practically hand feeding them.
I've been thinking of using long hooklinks - in the hope that if you give them enough rope....
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

davelumb wrote: Fri Aug 09 2019 17:22 -
I've been thinking of using long hooklinks - in the hope that if you give them enough rope....
just lately it doesn't seem how long a hook length you use---they still manage to chew the baits off without a twitch
the good news is the carp aren't being a nuisance on fish baits
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Kev Berry wrote: Fri Aug 09 2019 18:07 -
davelumb wrote: Fri Aug 09 2019 17:22 -
just lately it doesn't seem how long a hook length you use---they still manage to chew the baits off without a twitch
the good news is the carp aren't being a nuisance on fish baits
The eels aren't being a nuisance on fish baits at my place!