Snigging

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Snigging

Post by davelumb »

Mattjb wrote: Mon Jul 27 2020 20:36 -
davelumb wrote: Mon Jul 27 2020 20:24 -
I had a few hours until just past midnight last week. A few takes/runs to squid for one bumped snig. It went cold so I packed up. Coming warmer later in the week so I'll try again.
Hopefully the water temps will rise and spur them into feeding,I'll be giving it another go Friday or Saturday night.Do you find they feed in a certain time frame on your water Dave? Seems that 10.45 - 11.45 is the best period on the one I'm fishing.
Takes usually start from dusk onwards - a little before sunset. After one o'clock or thereabouts it goes quiet - if I haven't gone home by then!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Shock, horror. :afraid:

Managed to hook and land an eel last night. All 2lb of it! :laughs:

Missed al the takes on off bottom worms, caught on legered squid section. Packed up at half past midnight when takes seemed to have dried up.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

davelumb wrote: Fri Jul 31 2020 09:00 -

Missed al the takes on off bottom worms, caught on legered squid section. Packed up at half past midnight when takes seemed to have dried up.

On the drains Dave I've taken all my eels after midnight ledgered roach heads , usually fish for bait then alarms on and sit back ... Was on the well known tidal river renowned for elver fishing and my friend who lives a stone throw said during elver season it is like Piccadilly Circus for traffic and people on the bank in darkness ... I'm sure poached to buggery
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Stewlaws wrote: Fri Jul 31 2020 16:30 -

On the drains Dave I've taken all my eels after midnight ledgered roach heads , usually fish for bait then alarms on and sit back ... Was on the well known tidal river renowned for elver fishing and my friend who lives a stone throw said during elver season it is like Piccadilly Circus for traffic and people on the bank in darkness ... I'm sure poached to buggery
Strange critters, eels. When I had some gudgeon the other year they were straight on to them when other baits were out. Squid has produced a similar response.

It's weird how they can switch off though. Take after take every few minutes for a couple of hours then then nowt.

I tend to think that the waters I fish being close or connected to the tidal reaches of a river means there are lots of bootlaces - hence my frustration with loads of missed takes.

Further inland eel populations being more likely to have a different balance of sizes with bootlaces being less evident. Be interesting to hear how the pits along the tidal river near Kev/Nev fish for eels.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

davelumb wrote: Fri Jul 31 2020 16:43 -

Strange critters, eels. When I had some gudgeon the other year they were straight on to them when other baits were out. Squid has produced a similar response.

It's weird how they can switch off though. Take after take every few minutes for a couple of hours then then nowt.

I tend to think that the waters I fish being close or connected to the tidal reaches of a river means there are lots of bootlaces - hence my frustration with loads of missed takes.

Further inland eel populations being more likely to have a different balance of sizes with bootlaces being less evident. Be interesting to hear how the pits along the tidal river near Kev/Nev fish for eels.
Freudian slip there Mr lumb or is a shacking up on a swim between these 2, spurred on by the Chrisdonna thread on sexual orientation found fruition.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

More thinking of genetically engineering a Kevnev hybrid! :afraid: :afraid: :afraid:
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

The lake I'm fishing is further away from the tidal reaches of river but nearish to the river.
Apart from the first night I fished it I'm lucky to get one take a night. Overall about a 50% conversation rate I'd guess. High average size though at just under 4lb so far.
I'm off out for another go tonight,decent conditions so who knows?!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mattjb wrote: Fri Jul 31 2020 18:27 -

The lake I'm fishing is further away from the tidal reaches of river but nearish to the river.
Apart from the first night I fished it I'm lucky to get one take a night. Overall about a 50% conversation rate I'd guess. High average size though at just under 4lb so far.
I hate you! :laughs:

My pit is connected to the tidal direct. :sad:
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

[/quote

That's a stamp of eel Matt... What baits are you fishing on now?
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Stewlaws wrote: Fri Jul 31 2020 18:49 -

[/quote

That's a stamp of eel Matt... What baits are you fishing on now?
Rudd heads mainly but I have had a couple on trout strip. I'm going to try a popped up live on one rod tonight , one on Rudd head and either a raw King prawn or squid on the margin rod.
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

That was supposed to be conversion rate not conversation rate in my earlier post! I haven't started to talk to any yet though I have been swearing at a few!
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

davelumb wrote: Fri Jul 31 2020 18:31 -

Don't worry Dave, I blanked again!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mattjb wrote: Sat Aug 01 2020 06:42 -
davelumb wrote: Fri Jul 31 2020 18:31 -

Don't worry Dave, I blanked again!
Bloody eels! :giggle: