Perch,,,,

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Perch,,,,

Post by Bob Watson »

,,,,,Again!

Just returned from a day on a local(ish) river, perch fishing. I was fishing small lives, minnows, bleak and dace, firstly under a 5 swan loafer float pat' which was fine with the minnows.

When I was putting the small bleak and dace on, they were obviously dragging the float under, not a problem, I was still getting fish but when I changed to a small bung that the bigger lives couldn't pull under, bites stopped coming??

Anyhow not a problem as I said, I was still catching, had quite a few upto a pound, I was just wondering what floats you lot use for livebaiting for perch, a quick google has returned these

https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/korum-s ... ber-floats

Any good??
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Re: Perch,,,,

Post by suffolk si »

I’ve used everything from loafers to the smallest drennan zepplers or pikers and never really had a problem to be honest, only use baits up to a maximum of about two ounces though, usually find the bait fish tire pretty quickly and don’t pull the loafers under after five minutes or so👍
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Just ordered a couple of the 5g pikers, I'll give them a bash.
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

I had a similar issue perch fishing recently, never really live baited for perch so went to DanglingErect an bought the only available float under 15g which was a 6g pre-weighted pellet float :no: I kinda knew it wasn’t gonna be great but went with it all the same.
Not having a weight to keep the little livie down, once he tired I found they were just swimming round the float more or less on the surface !
Now although this got me the biggest fish of the session, a nice 2lb’er :thumbs: , I knew that was obviously more luck that skill so I’ve ordered some 5g sliders with some 5g olivettes to weight down at the start of the trace/hook length. Should work better an keep the bait at the desired depth !

Now, sorry to hi-jack the thread but can I raise another issue that may or may not have been raised previously ?!?

What hooks do you use for perch live baiting and where do you hook the livie ???
I was using a No.4 carp hook through the nose, but I found I got a few gut hooked perch this way, strangely tho, only the smaller ones :scratch: anything over say 1.5lb was hooked clean but a few little’uns were not so cleanly hooked !?!
I’ve since been told that hooking bait through the tail is a preferred method for some perch livebaiter’s, and I’ve also ordered some No.4 inline circles, not quite a circle but a bit more than a curve shank carp hook, so hopefully these might stop the issue !?!

Thoughts ???
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Had the three combined for just over eight pound in three casts in winter with two-ounce roach lives on,drennan pike bob floats size six treble in dorsal in for me👍 Slightly finicky bites , was really after pike
The bottom fish which scraped three pound on a slightly smaller bait gave a much more positive full on slide away bite on a loafer and the bait catching gear👍
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Now you're just bragging :fu:

The river and clubs I walked away from were producing "BIG" perch to match anglers a couple of years ago when I was chub and barbel fishing it, the seals wiped out my targets species pretty much,,,,,,

,,,,,,, but :scratch: :shrug:
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

In all seriousness the point I’m trying to make is I get a lot of perch on pike gear when not targeting them, I’ve never really found the resistance thing to be a major issue, but I’m no perch expect. The biggest perch I ( nearly) caught was on a four ounce livebait under a huge float in a weir pool. Perch that I’ve fished for generally seem pretty greedy. Are you fishing fixed or running paternoster?
Nobby C
Chub
Chub

Post by Nobby C »

Bob Watson wrote: Sun Jul 14 2019 22:23 -
,,,,,Again!

Just returned from a day on a local(ish) river, perch fishing. I was fishing small lives, minnows, bleak and dace, firstly under a 5 swan loafer float pat' which was fine with the minnows.

When I was putting the small bleak and dace on, they were obviously dragging the float under, not a problem, I was still getting fish but when I changed to a small bung that the bigger lives couldn't pull under, bites stopped coming??

Anyhow not a problem as I said, I was still catching, had quite a few upto a pound, I was just wondering what floats you lot use for livebaiting for perch, a quick google has returned these

Any good??
Could you not have taken a shot or two off the line to compensate for the bait?
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Flipflop,

I use cut down tube through pike floats.
My baits are always minnows hooked thro the nostrils with a size 14 circle which always lodges in the corner of the mouth, even on pike.
IMG_1428.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
fishandy
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by fishandy »

after catching a few perch on pike tackle I decided to have ago fishing for them my main concern was identifying runs from the bait action but I need not have worried I did not use any sort of float just a 3oz fixed lead with a 3/0 circle hook paternoster style bait was a 4oz roach the perch had previously taken some big pike wrigglers I set the bait
runner slackish and sat back to wait after a short time the rod end banged round and the baitrunner purred and I thought pike ! I picked up the rod wound in andto my surprise there was a3lb 10 oz perch on the end hooked nicely in the scissors this was repeated a further 5 times nothing as big as the first fish but all gave good indication and all hooked in the corner of the mouth I don't know if the circle hook and big lead were acting as a bolt rig but hookhold and bite indication were spot all that I had to do was tighten up to the lead and set the baitrunner and sit back until the reel buzzed the runs were unmistakable I wanted a bait that would stay where it was cast and not keep giving out false alarms so opted not to use a float I have only fished this way once but it looks very effective
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

suffolk si wrote: Mon Jul 15 2019 08:01 -
In all seriousness the point I’m trying to make is I get a lot of perch on pike gear when not targeting them, I’ve never really found the resistance thing to be a major issue, but I’m no perch expect. The biggest perch I ( nearly) caught was on a four ounce livebait under a huge float in a weir pool. Perch that I’ve fished for generally seem pretty greedy. Are you fishing fixed or running paternoster?
I was fishing a ready made heli rig as the pat link but I'm going to revise this a little. I had it on the mainline with a lead on a week link directly below, the bigger fish were pulling the heli rig down to the lead as I brought them in. I used it for ease of changing the depth of the bait.
77243da657128bb42d0f0eea6b178592.jpg
Stock photo by the way.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Nobby C wrote: Mon Jul 15 2019 08:06 -
Bob Watson wrote: Sun Jul 14 2019 22:23 -
,,,,,Again!

Any good??
Could you not have taken a shot or two off the line to compensate for the bait?
Paternostered
gus666
Zander
Zander
Location: Auld Ayr, wham ne'er a toon surpasses, For Honest Men and bonnie lassies...

Post by gus666 »

suffolk si wrote: Mon Jul 15 2019 00:40 -
Had the three combined for just over eight pound in three casts in winter with two-ounce roach lives on,drennan pike bob floats size six treble in dorsal in for me👍 Slightly finicky bites , was really after pike
The bottom fish which scraped three pound on a slightly smaller bait gave a much more positive full on slide away bite on a loafer and the bait catching gear👍
Drennan pike bobs and small treble in the dorsal-exactly how I used to live bait before the ban in Scotland.
:thumbs: