Chub on frogs !

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Chub on frogs !

Post by Flipflopjoe »

So I’ve been entertaining myself in this warm weather trying to tempt some decent chub out of my local river. It’s not known for it Chub fishing but they are there if you put in the leg work (and brave the torture of fighting through shoulder high nettles :mad:)

Anyway, I’ve had some limited success but the task has mutated into trying to get some topwater chub action by way of a frog (SG reaction frog).

Well I hit the jackpot today, with my legs stinging like stingy things on stingy day from all the nettles, I found a back water that I was getting take after take from the hungry blighters !
Trouble is, I just couldn’t hook up, I did have 3 on for a good 30-40 seconds but they all threw the hook eventually.
So I was musing over this on the long walk back to the car, an I figured it was either my rod hasn’t got the backbone to pull the hook home (quite a heavy gauge wire used on the frog), my rod is an Abu devil 5-15g.
Or, the lure just doesn’t hook up well with chub due to its weedless design ?
Or maybe a bit of both :shrug: ?!?

I’ll be in the market for a stiffer rod for this I think but I was also thinking of adding some sort of stinger to the frog to assist hook up !
I know this will reduce it’s weedless’ness, but I couldn't handle what happened today happening again !

Is anyone else out there having similar problems to this and have you added anything or tweaked the design to increase hook up rates ???

TIA :thumbs:
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Chub on frogs !

Post by Monts »

Joe,

They are quite large Frogs for Chub IMO, did they hook up or just have hold of the legs etc they can be daft at times. How weedy is it? I fish various plugs/small cranks over the top of the streamer weed in my rivers with the front treble off and two prongs of the back treble debarbed and they go through ok. I don't do an awful lot of frog fishing, it's great fun for blow-ups but not much fun for Chub. I've tried in the past with smaller frogs that AGM sell but it was not much kop, to be honest. If you're fishing around Lilly pads and it's your only option then good luck. :grin:
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

The chub has no problem taking it that size an I’m pretty sure the ones I had on were hooked !
I saw one totally engulf the frog as it was that close when it took it, I think due to the way the frog needs compressing wasn’t allowing enough of the hook to penetrate because of the gauge.
Joe Birch
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

I’ve gaffes about with it, I stripped the big hook out and replaced it with an okuma mantra 3/0, had to substitute the connection thingy with a swivel and split ring, bit of trial and error with different split ring sizes got the fit spot on and Froggy is alive again......
1DE65781-480A-4AFE-AB53-4D3BFF36FE03.jpeg
Big difference in gauge so hopefully this should pull home a bit easier than the original hook.......
F36EBB8D-6739-4058-BAE2-0801E4630612.jpeg
Can’t test till next week now tho :hissy:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe Birch
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Reckon rod is too soft to set hooks. I gave up on them - softer than overcooked spaghetti!
Peter Newman
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

I've done really well with the Yum
silicone frogs rigged on a lightweight worm hook. Much smaller than the SG version as design for black bass and see.s better in some cases. Done well with the black or natural frog type colours
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Post by dannytaylor »

Try the salmo lil'bugs, chub magnets, they absolutely hammer them off the surface 👍
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

dannytaylor wrote: Thu Mar 19 2020 19:10 -
Try the salmo lil'bugs, chub magnets, they absolutely hammer them off the surface 👍
I've seen these, they look good. Any preference on colour for chub ???
Joe Birch
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Post by dannytaylor »

Flipflopjoe wrote: Fri Mar 20 2020 02:15 -
They'll have any colour you throw at them, give em a go you won't be disappointed, I've had chub hit them as soon as they hit the water by a feature, they just home in on the "plop"
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

dannytaylor wrote: Fri Mar 20 2020 11:02 -
Flipflopjoe wrote: Fri Mar 20 2020 02:15 -
They'll have any colour you throw at them, give em a go you won't be disappointed, I've had chub hit them as soon as they hit the water by a feature, they just home in on the "plop"
Unspooked chub can often hit any lure as soon as it splashes, especially early-season - but can sometimes be finicky...
Peter Newman