Blank Zed trip with a bonus

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Kev Berry

Blank Zed trip with a bonus

Post by Kev Berry »

Due to rain being forecast I didn't go out on the boat today, so had a lie in and planned a zed trip off the bank for later.
Gear chucked in car and off I went, didn't take nothing out of the pet tank as its easy to catch some out the river. Isnt it?
So---zed rods are all set up ready and waiting for some volunteers to get on the hooks--and waiting---and more waiting :eek:
Couldn't get a bite :scratch: . Two hours later I got a small (unlucky)perch which was soon swimming around again albeit encumbered by a couple of hooks.
He swam about while I tried to catch a few more of his brothers for a couple more hours. Eventually they came on and I had 6 in 6 chucks then they disappeared, a few minutes later the float goes under and Im stuck into something slowly making its way to the middle of the river. Cant do much to stop it, 15ft match rod, 16 hook, 2lb hook length and my brand new centrepin (which was the real reason why I didn't take any pets with me :wink: )
Couple of minutes into the fight it was close in and I realised it was likely to catch up in the zed rod, so I somehow managed to wind it in one handed and left it in the side. I eventually get a glimpse of what Im fighting and its a barbel, and a good one.
Then the zed rod starts jumping around, somethings taken the bait, holding the match rod in one hand I manage to flip the bait runner off and strike left handed and then put the bait runner back on.
I somehow get the barbel in the net after a couple more minutes, quick unhook and weigh, matey from down the bank takes a few pics and its back she goes ---13lb 4oz, an extremely fat fish but no length to her .
The zed rod :afraid:
Picks the zed rod up and whatever I struck into is still on---its a perch, didn't weigh it but around 2 1/2 lb mark. Greedy fecker had scoffed a 4oz brother.
Not another bite after that. Rain stops, its getting dark time to take advantage and pack up without getting soaked.
beat my float caught barbel PB by 2lb 3oz :cool:
Blanking with your target species isn't too bad at times :thumbs:

Going again tomorrow but with some pets, this swim just screams zander
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Re: Blank Zed trip with a bonus

Post by suffolk si »

Bit different to having to play them hard on 60lb braid kev! Good skills getting it in on that gear👍
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Nice one Kev ( or should I say nice two ) :thumbs:
Regards
Tom
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Does that spawny b*****d Karl still have the biggest barbel of the year?😡🤣
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

suffolk si wrote: Mon Sep 23 2019 09:21 -
Does that spawny b*****d Karl still have the biggest barbel of the year?😡🤣
out of my guests yes---my biggest is an ounce more :cool:
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Kev Berry wrote: Sun Sep 22 2019 23:25 -
13lb 4oz, an extremely fat fish but no length to her .
Christ Kev, cracking Barbel that mate. :thumbs:
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
J-P
Roach
Roach

Post by J-P »

Kev Berry wrote: Sun Sep 22 2019 23:25 -
Due to rain being forecast I didn't go out on the boat today, so had a lie in and planned a zed trip off the bank for later.
Gear chucked in car and off I went, didn't take nothing out of the pet tank as its easy to catch some out the river. Isnt it?
So---zed rods are all set up ready and waiting for some volunteers to get on the hooks--and waiting---and more waiting :eek:
Couldn't get a bite :scratch: . Two hours later I got a small (unlucky)perch which was soon swimming around again albeit encumbered by a couple of hooks.
He swam about while I tried to catch a few more of his brothers for a couple more hours. Eventually they came on and I had 6 in 6 chucks then they disappeared, a few minutes later the float goes under and Im stuck into something slowly making its way to the middle of the river. Cant do much to stop it, 15ft match rod, 16 hook, 2lb hook length and my brand new centrepin (which was the real reason why I didn't take any pets with me :wink: )
Couple of minutes into the fight it was close in and I realised it was likely to catch up in the zed rod, so I somehow managed to wind it in one handed and left it in the side. I eventually get a glimpse of what Im fighting and its a barbel, and a good one.
Then the zed rod starts jumping around, somethings taken the bait, holding the match rod in one hand I manage to flip the bait runner off and strike left handed and then put the bait runner back on.
I somehow get the barbel in the net after a couple more minutes, quick unhook and weigh, matey from down the bank takes a few pics and its back she goes ---13lb 4oz, an extremely fat fish but no length to her .
The zed rod :afraid:
Picks the zed rod up and whatever I struck into is still on---its a perch, didn't weigh it but around 2 1/2 lb mark. Greedy fecker had scoffed a 4oz brother.
Not another bite after that. Rain stops, its getting dark time to take advantage and pack up without getting soaked.
beat my float caught barbel PB by 2lb 3oz :cool:
Blanking with your target species isn't too bad at times :thumbs:

Going again tomorrow but with some pets, this swim just screams zander
Congrats, on the Barbel. On that kind of gear lucky it didn't get into any snags!