Perch in a Pike water

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Al Brown 2
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Perch in a Pike water

Post by Al Brown 2 »

Been catching a few perch on lures intended for pike so would like to scale down a bit and catch perch on lighter gear, not much fun on 65lb braid n titanium trace so what's the recommended trace material for lighter perch fishing that would stand the obvious pike attention ?
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Re: Perch in a Pike water

Post by Fentiger01 »

Hey Al, if you're already catching them on heavier Pike gear i.e. heavy trace wire they don't sound too fussy, I'd just use normal wire in the region of about 20-28lbs or so mate, seven strand etc.
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Al Brown 2
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Al Brown 2 »

Fentiger01 wrote: โ†‘Fri Sep 27 2019 23:10 -
Hey Al, if you're already catching them on heavier Pike gear i.e. heavy trace wire they don't sound too fussy, I'd just use normal wire in the region of about 20-28lbs or so mate, seven strand etc.
Thanks for your reply, wasn't thinking they were fussy feeders was just thinking for a bit more of a feel of the fish on the way in, just wondering if I'd missed some new trace gear that people targeting perch use, they are in a big water so seem to be keen feeders n maybe not a lot of right size food due to lots of cormorants n other predators.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Don't be concerned the cormorants have eaten all the small fish in your water as any predator always chooses the largest food item for the least expenditure of energy, and a cormorant can swallow most species to 2lb.

I fish a similar water where cormorants are encouraged, the hope being they will/would eat down the huge populations of small rudd and roach.
Result, the small fish are still their but only come out of the dense cover to feed at night, the bigger fish are less and move around constantly, and the b carp are going bonkers!

Just keep doing what works, things will chage over time and thats when you do (is what I would do).
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

What will happen here is you'll refine your approach and start using smaller, perch sized lures, and it'll be like the perch disappeared.
You'll start chucking pike lures about and BANG, you'll start catching perch again!
I have a venue just like this, the perch are easy to catch on a 17cm salmo sweeper, clip on a smaller version and it's nothing but the odd jack!!
NE.kayaks
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by NE.kayaks »

Try a light drop shot rod with fluro carbon trace and light braid. Wilma feel everything through the rod๐Ÿ‘
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

NE.kayaks wrote: โ†‘Thu Oct 10 2019 22:06 -
Try a light drop shot rod with fluro carbon trace and light braid. Wilma feel everything through the rod๐Ÿ‘

Yes everything, like a sharp bump followed by a slack line.

And no lure on the end :roll:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Very true mike๐Ÿ‘
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Mike J wrote: โ†‘Sun Oct 13 2019 10:42 -
NE.kayaks wrote: โ†‘Thu Oct 10 2019 22:06 -

Yes everything, like a sharp bump followed by a slack line.

And no lure on the end :roll:
I shouldn't laugh but you're spot on their Mike! :thumbs:
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Daniel wrote: โ†‘Fri Oct 04 2019 18:26 -
What will happen here is you'll refine your approach and start using smaller, perch sized lures, and it'll be like the perch disappeared.
You'll start chucking pike lures about and BANG, you'll start catching perch again!
I have a venue just like this, the perch are easy to catch on a 17cm salmo sweeper, clip on a smaller version and it's nothing but the odd jack!!
Most of my experience is the opposite, Daniel!

As on LAS Forum,
Interesting that I get few perch on smallish pike lures there (a regular piking dyke) โ€“ 4โ€shads,grubs, cranks etc that half-pound-plus perch well โ€“ able to take; but had many more that size โ€“ up, on the 2โ€ grub / hinged spinnerbait.
- guess I just "lucked onto" a feeding group on the day?

- Although no perch caught by brothers using 4โ€shads,grubs, cranks etc, alongside on the day??
Peter Newman
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Al Brown 2 wrote: โ†‘Fri Sep 27 2019 23:06 -
Been catching a few perch on lures intended for pike so would like to scale down a bit and catch perch on lighter gear, not much fun on 65lb braid n titanium trace so what's the recommended trace material for lighter perch fishing that would stand the obvious pike attention ?
I lure a lot targeting perch and / or chub - but often getting jacks; sometimes doubles.
Usual setup 5-25g rod, 13lb braid and 12lb https://www.facebook.com/CahiraNitinolFishingWire/ - single strand titanium - less kink / fail prone than multistrands to jacks.
2" shads / grubs, etc will catch wasps upwards; can enjoy smaller fish on that setup, but handle the bigger pike too - they do turn up!
Peter Newman
Karlbird
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Karlbird »

Just Albright a short section of the lightest Knot2Kinky or cahira nitol (12lb I think) to a flouro trace, you only need a few inches.

Alternatively, and controversially, just up the flouro diameter - I use 0.34 on the trout reservoirs when zander fishing where rules allow, and have seen plenty of pike caught and no bite offs.