Drop shotting.

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Rosemary
Chub
Chub

Drop shotting.

Post by Rosemary »

Does anyone here have any experience of drop shotting. Have to admit that I had never heard of it before last week.. Is there any axdvantage over normal lure fishing. Have to admit that I am now very interested but have no real idea of how to start. So,any idea lads?
Just old and knackered.
Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Drop shotting.

Post by Steve Moore »

Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Moore »

I prefer to dropshot with real worms.
It's so easy, just cast out and feel for the bites.
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

If you're on a perch shoal it can be devastating, but for searching a water it's hopeless so don't go thinking it's the perfect method, it's not, it's just another technique that has a time and place.
Personally, I find it quite boring and if I wanted to use live worms like Steve, I'd rather do it on float gear!
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Rosemary wrote: Tue Feb 04 2020 20:48 -
Does anyone here have any experience of drop shotting. Have to admit that I had never heard of it before last week.. Is there any axdvantage over normal lure fishing. Have to admit that I am now very interested but have no real idea of how to start. So,any idea lads?
Have a watch of this Rosemary, it`ll give you a good idea of what`s what :thumbs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzUiCfhMu6A
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Echoing what Daniel said, I’ve messed about with it boatyards on perch schoals and had great sport but searching off the bank with it was useless for me, I wouldn’t be bothered if I never did it again to be honest!
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

It's a great technique for shoaled fish but a poor search technique. I use a grub/jig to find fish and if appropriate drop shot
Agree with others works best in places lime marina etc
Rosemary
Chub
Chub

Post by Rosemary »

Thanks for replies gents. I no longer fish contests but I wish that I had known about drop shotting back when I did. Now I try to avoid catching small fish, the smallest hook in my basket is a size 12 spade end. I can see the advantages of eyed hooks though when fishing this way. Last week I was fishing a lake snd noticed perch feeding about 30 feet out. For half an hour I was casting beyond the feedig perch with a small spoon but never had a take.Another angler told me that I should try drop shotting so now I know what it's all about, if we have a nice day next week I will give it a go.
Just old and knackered.
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

I have used small live roach on drop shotting gear....... to very good effect.
Don’t buy any hooks or lures, just drop me a pm and come and get some for free.
Am only round the corner
That Perkins !!! 😂
Cooper1
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Cooper1 »

699802F7-6463-46FD-9504-BD1C858A7132.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.