Zander

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
jimmer79
Stickleback
Stickleback

Zander

Post by jimmer79 »

I really want to catch a zander, based near Peterborough so I'm aware the fens is not far, I don't care if the fish is 12 ozs or 12lbs, I just want to catch one ha ha... I've fished Ely once, mega busy and hard work in the sun. I've potentially got a free weekend coming up, was due on farmoor but reckon its going to be cancelled due to weather... So.... Where's best for a bite anywhere in the country ? Not after spots just ideas, I have a hotel in Oxford for the Saturday, so can still use this but also don't mind a drive just for the day.... Any advice gents please? Thanks
jimmer79
Stickleback
Stickleback

Re: Zander

Post by jimmer79 »

And I meant to say I'll be lure fishing
barbed
Roach
Roach

Post by barbed »

Theres Zander in the Nene around Peterborough being caught on lures
jimmer79
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by jimmer79 »

Thanks mate.. I'm there as soon as the nene goes back to where it should be
Milvuss
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Milvuss »

Isn't 'Ferry Meadows' near you?
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Milvuss wrote: Tue Sep 22 2020 15:24 -
Isn't 'Ferry Meadows' near you?
:laughs: yes of course it is... not a good venue if lures are your chosen method, hard enough on baits at times.. Peterborough is a good starting point for you, as you have both the Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire fens to go at, plus you have both Grafham and Rutland within easy reach, via the A1 or A14. In fact, for zander, you're spoilt for choice. You really want to focus on the bigger drains and rivers, but location can be problematic if you're bank fishing. The Welland, Nene, Great Ouse and a bit further, the Trent... common knowledge that all have zander in reasonable quantities and I've caught them on lures from all of those waters; all the obvious features yield fish, but town centres are always good, as there's usually a lot of moored boats and hence bait fish. Trouble is, the EE's like to get their zander and chips from these areas and pickings can be hard. Having said that, I've done OK myself with lures in a couple of town centres in recent years. I may have just been lucky though, as it is rare to go there and not see a Polski with his lager and carrier bag :sad:

Drain wise, my lips are sealed, but I will say that from the bank, there are a few which are actually still pretty good, despite what some of the doom mongers want to tell you. I had a couple of trips out last winter, catching zander every time on lures from one drain. But yeah, I know where to fish, which is half the battle... I can only say do your research and then go fish them - look at club websites, social media, etc. People do love to show off when they catch something and often it is not hard to work out where fish have come from. There's also a few still waters that have zander in them, one in particular I shall not name, but will give you a clue - no UFO's have been seen there... always been quite good for a zander or two with the lures that place. Else, if you want guaranteed sport, just go to Rutland. It's not what is was a few years ago, when we were getting up to 100 zander a day in the boat between two of us and they were mostly 6 to 9lb fish, with the odd low double. Since the word got out, it's changed a bit, with a lot of the zander now being very small; they are however still p**s easy to catch and at least you know they're there and you only learn by catching. Hope this helps. Mark P
Piking Plonker