Catfish mono hooklink

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Iain Gillies
Perch
Perch

Catfish mono hooklink

Post by Iain Gillies »

I am going to a small local pool which stocks cats up to 40lb. I have checked with the owner and the no braid rule extends to hooklinks too. What strength of mono do you think would be OK to provide protection and prevent loosing fish? From my sea fishing I have a spool of 25lb ultima super snood in black and a 50lb spool of clear shock leader would either of these be OK?
Thanks in advance
Iain
pikin
Perch
Perch

Re: Catfish mono hooklink

Post by pikin »

50lb shock leader will be ok.
Put 50mm of shrink tube along it below the hook. The pads in their mouths at times are sharp. Any signs of damage after a fish put a new hooklink on.
Paul Ikin
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

A trick I used for leader shy tuna was a length of biro tube on the leader, rigged against the top swivel knot so it slides down to the hook knot when a fish is on.
A similar system would probably work on catfish.

Justa thought.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Iain Gillies
Perch
Perch

Post by Iain Gillies »

Thanks gents, I will tie a few rigs up on 50lb mono with shrink tube to protect it. I am worried it might be a bit thick but rather that than loose a good fish.
Catfish Paul
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Catfish Paul »

50lb mono hooklinks will be fine especially with shrink tube for added protection.

Cats aren't particularly rig shy so use 50lb mono with confidence.
I have used 100lb mono hooklinks before , true I was targeting bigger cats but had no adverse effect on catch rates

Cats aren't that rig shy but I have definitely found them pressure shy. On small waters , with lots of fishing pressure/lines in the water can switch them off. If this is the case, I always try to find the quietest corner I can... usually pays dividends

Have fun and tight lines
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Catfish Paul wrote: Thu May 28 2020 08:53 -
50lb mono hooklinks will be fine especially with shrink tube for added protection.

I have used 100lb mono hooklinks before , true I was targeting bigger cats but had no adverse effect on catch rates

Cats aren't that rig shy but I have definitely found them pressure shy. On small waters , with lots of fishing pressure/lines in the water can switch them off. If this is the case, I always try to find the quietest corner I can... usually pays dividends

Have fun and tight lines

Hi Paul, you been hauling any conger since Timsbury?

Apol. to the OP for off topic.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Iain Gillies
Perch
Perch

Post by Iain Gillies »

Have fun and tight lines

This place is tiny and the get fished for most days but do get caught regularly enough. I know most people fish pellet, boilies or luncheon meat on the deck so was going to offer something different. I was thinking of fishing a big bunch of worms popped up and trying sea deadbaits like sardines or squid. If the owner allows it (nothing states it in the rules) I was considering asking about using a small livebait under a float.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Iain Gillies wrote: Thu May 28 2020 15:27 -

Have fun and tight lines

This place is tiny and the get fished for most days but do get caught regularly enough. I know most people fish pellet, boilies or luncheon meat on the deck so was going to offer something different. I was thinking of fishing a big bunch of worms popped up and trying sea deadbaits like sardines or squid. If the owner allows it (nothing states it in the rules) I was considering asking about using a small livebait under a float.

Top bait years back was a dead kitten or baby rabbit, either would make something different and be sure to catch.

(and please Delboy)

suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

I’ve caught loads more cats on lives than anything else👍Had them on steak and chicken liver too if you want to try something different ..
Sam
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Sam »

I used to use 60lb Greased Weasel in orange for winched out livebaits. I would not hesitate to use 80lb Slinky leader these days.

Like the sliding biro tube idea.
Catfish Paul
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Catfish Paul »

Have fun and tight lines

Worms are great but only if there aren't too many silver fish etc...bait robbing devils!!
I find dendrobenas work better than lobs. Keep active well.

Definitely get your baits in mid water and above, especially if you are fishing this weekend.

Lots of cat anglers fish hard on the bottom but most of mine come mid water or sub surface .
Cats have an under slung mouth and will attack from below

Squid is a cracking bait and easy to pop up too.

If it's pressurised, unusual baits can work.
Chicks, the feathered type😁 and mice have always worked well. Purchased from pet shops...snake food!!

I have also used Belechan, which can get great results but I do find it a bit hit and miss
You can buy it in block form from various bait suppliers.

One of my favourite baits and always does well is lamprey 👍👍
Had some cracking cats on lamprey

Livies are king though and you get some spectacular hits

Hope this helps and you land a whacker or 2 👍👍
Catfish Paul
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Catfish Paul »

Mike J wrote: Thu May 28 2020 10:05 -

Have fun and tight lines

Hi Paul, you been hauling any conger since Timsbury?

Apol. to the OP for off topic.

Hi Mike

Haven't done much Conger fishing recently but will be now 👍👍

Hopefully you have had a few days out now since lockdown
I'm planning a trip for Sunday

Aplogises for being off topic too 😁
Iain Gillies
Perch
Perch

Post by Iain Gillies »

Thanks lads cant wait to get out and give it a go!
Iain Gillies
Perch
Perch

Post by Iain Gillies »

Theres been a good few caught the last few days. Apparently they are all being caught on the bottom on carp tactics with 12-20mm bookies and pellets. Might try one rod on deck like that and vary the other. Looking forward to it as I've not caught a cat in the UK for years.
Catfish Paul
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Catfish Paul »

Hi Iain,

Good news that the cats are active and feeding 👍

Always worth trying something on the deck, if it's a winning technique.
If I use boillies (not very often) or pellets , I tend to pop them up a few inches. Personally had better results popped up than hard on the deck.
(Not sure if the above sentence sounds right 🤤)

The only thing I would say about the fish caught on carp tactics ( you probably already know this, apologises if so) but if most anglers at the lake are fishing that style, then cats will inevitably be caught that way but if mid water and sub surface techniques were employed, could improve catch rates.

Years ago when I fished Yateley and Horton for cats, a reasonable number of anglers used 'carp' tactics and had success however I and a few others seemed to do better by fishing sub surface.
Same and much more recently on the Essex and Berkshire(local) waters I cat fish too.

Lakes can fish differently, and trying both is a good plan

Have fun and tight lines
Be interested to know how you get on 👍👍
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

"Deck". Everyone stop it, please. This isn't the Angler's Mail. :clown: :exit:

Has anyone ever tried lures for cats? I've seen some big ones caught on lures in Spain and have heard of them hitting lures in this country.

I know someone who had one on a Crazy Crawler (self 'clonking' lure!).

If they're active, it might be worth a try? :shrug:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Iain Gillies
Perch
Perch

Post by Iain Gillies »

As far as I know the pond is only stocked with cats between 5 - 40lb. Most who fish it are probably carp anglers giving it a go. Hopefully the different tactics should see some results.

Unfortunately lure fishing is banned and its barbless single hook only.

Many years ago I did go to the Ebro and we had fish to over 100lb on pellets. I believe they hit lures when they are on nests of eggs out of aggression as it has invaded their territory. I think a few people on the LAS have accidentally caught them before on a variety of lures. If I ever go back to the Ebro I would like to try lure fishing for them and the big predatorial barbel they have.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Have fun and tight lines

I briefly fished a very small water in Essex for cats - only a dozen or so in there, but almost all were 30+. The club referred to the pond as a farm reservoir... anyway, the cats got caught on boilies most of the time and the first time I fished this place, I went in with tactics aimed at targeting the cats and ended up with four carp to mid 20's. Chap fishing opposite me for carp blanked, but then had a 30lb plus cat on a boilie as he was packing up. What made things worse was he came round to my swim and was moaning about catching the cat as it had shat all over his lovely new white trainers. Oh dear, poor fella.

Next trip, I fished lives on both rods, despite the no live bait rule. I did catch them from the water itself, but that's no excuse for my shameful act. I had 6 cats fishing from late evening until early afternoon the next day. Weights were 26lb up to 48lb, which was the biggest in there. Basically the lion's share of the lakes residents in one session. I never fished there again. Can't say I even enjoyed catching those fish either. Anyway, I think the learning for me was quite simple, if you're on a water like that, use lives!

As to lure fishing for cats... I wouldn't say it is a go to method, but on the right water (high stock) and the right day, you can catch them on lures. I've had a few on hawg wobblers and scuttle bugs and going below, sandras, shads and bull dawgs have all worked for me. You'll get way more follows than takes, so trust me, it's frustrating. I've also had them track big jerkbaits into the bank, but never had one hit the lure. That happened a few times on one specific water, where the cats were big, but pretty low in numbers. I was obviously after the pike, but hey, that's what got me lure fishing for them in the first place, just on a water where the odds are more in my favour. Worth a bash, but don't expect to rinse the water doing it.
Piking Plonker
Iain Gillies
Perch
Perch

Post by Iain Gillies »

To cut a long story short I blanked and frustratingly dropped several runs yesterday. A 13lber did get caught on pellet at the other end of the pond but it was a poor day compared to how it had been fishing earlier in the week. I dont know if it was change in pressure or cold rainwater going in but it just seemed hard and I never saw any fish moving or signs of fish all day. All runs came on 22mm halibut pellet on the deck and popped up squid, worms and sardine got ignored. I fished off a light baitrunner with a heavy 4oz lead on a big run ring. The takes seemed positive and I let it go before hitting it but nothing each time. I will give it a go again when the weathers more settled and hopefully catch one.
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Cold often kills catfish sport in my experience. A local water where I expect two or three runs a day got hit with 10 degree temperature drop last year when I fished and I had my first blank on the place, not a sniff in 36 hours😢
Iain Gillies
Perch
Perch

Post by Iain Gillies »

I suspected that may be the case as they had been getting caught while it was settled warmer weather. I dont know if my rigs caused the dropped takes or if they didnt really want it? I have read they dont like resistance or change in resistance. Next time I might fish an open bail arm with a light bobbin and try shortening hooklengths to around 12-15" rather than 24".
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Iain Gillies wrote: Fri Jun 05 2020 20:22 -
I suspected that may be the case as they had been getting caught while it was settled warmer weather. I dont know if my rigs caused the dropped takes or if they didnt really want it? I have read they dont like resistance or change in resistance. Next time I might fish an open bail arm with a light bobbin and try shortening hooklengths to around 12-15" rather than 24".

Can you explain why you used such a heavy lead please.
I would have thought the lightest weight to get he bait to where you want it would have been better, but Im no cat angler nor ever will be.

Thanks.

Iain Gillies
Perch
Perch

Post by Iain Gillies »

The theory is that the big lead doesnt move when the fish picks the bait up and the pressure the fish feels is constant rather than feeling the weight of the lead instantly like in a bolt rig situation.