Quarantine Eel Rigs

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
mcleans99sn
Stickleback
Stickleback

Quarantine Eel Rigs

Post by mcleans99sn »

Trying to get my first eel when the river season opens up, but it's a bit annoying I can't go to the tackle shop and get it and have to have a shopping list prepared in advance to collect it at the door :roll: . What rigs and baits do you normally use for Eels any any recommendations to put on my list?
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Quarantine Eel Rigs

Post by John Milford »

I've caught quite a few eels over the years but I've never fished for them deliberately. (That is something that might change. The few largish eels I have caught, quite by accident, have always been a very welcome surprise - unlike bootlaces, which are little buggers when they about in numbers!).

If I ever felt I really wanted to catch an eel - I would consider my best chance would be to fish a worm, on a free-running ledger, in the evening.

My accidental captures of eels always seemed to go like this: Strike - feels like a decent fish! :grin: - oh no, it's come off! :sad: - wait! hold up, there's still something on! :grin: . . . . . Eel!!!! :pipe:

Targeting bigger eels might require a more selective bait. I'll also be interested to see what the more experienced eelers have to say! :thumbs:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Post by alan behenna »

No doubt some of the lads who target them will be along in a bit with some solid advice.

Al' has never deliberately targeted them (Yuk), but as mentioned, the free running ledger and a good Lob' or small fish will do it. Even had the buggars' up to 3+ when bottom bumping lures, on occasion.

:eek:
jack
Perch
Perch

Post by jack »

Keep it simple mate, running rigs are fine, try to keep it as resistance free as you can. Open bail arms, rod tip pointed at the bait etc. I always use a wire trace, dead bait is always my first choice of bait.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Free running rigs. If fishing two rods have one bait off bottom. Be prepared for frustration
Steve C
Perch
Perch

Post by Steve C »

Adopt safer angling practices or you will deep hook eels. This is the one thing that keeps putting me off fishing for them, although I may give it a go again and try the Twig Rig.

To help avoid deep hooking :-

Have good bite indication and strike quickly.
Use an anti gorge rig (http://www.zandavan.co.uk/The%20Snig%20 ... %20gag.htm)

To minimise injury to deep hooked eels:-

Use barbless hooks and small sections of rubber band to keep baits on the hook.
Don't use really big hooks as they have potential to cause greater damage to internal organs than smaller ones
Don't prod around trying to remove a hook that is out of sight, but cut the trace as close to the hook as possible. A deep hooked Eel can 'regurgitate' a hook. This must be easier to do if it is barbless.
Last edited by Steve C on Sun Jun 07 2020 17:02, edited 2 times in total.
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

I've done a couple of nights recently on a pit for eels,went last night,one missed run on prawn which could have been anything.deads on the other two rods,one off bottom. Bottom rigs basic free running ,dyson on the off bottom .It's only a small pit but I suspect not many eels in there.Big ones have come from the adjacent pits so they have to be there.its rammed with silvers and perch so worms are a non starter! If anyone's got any tips for next time I'm all ears, To be honest after reading all the eel books I'm not expecting it to be easy
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Eels seem to like squid.
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

davelumb wrote: Sun Jun 07 2020 17:18 -
Eels seem to like squid.
Cheers Dave , I might give that a go if deads keep failing to produce runs. From the books I've read it seems like eels can seemingly not feed for periods of time then suddenly go on the feed so maybe it's more of hitting it on the right night on these waters with not many eels
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mattjb wrote: Sun Jun 07 2020 19:54 -
davelumb wrote: Sun Jun 07 2020 17:18 -
Eels seem to like squid.
Cheers Dave , I might give that a go if deads keep failing to produce runs. From the books I've read it seems like eels can seemingly not feed for periods of time then suddenly go on the feed so maybe it's more of hitting it on the right night on these waters with not many eels
They can be very frustrating creatures, that's for sure.
Dave Smith
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Dave Smith »

Steve C wrote: Sun Jun 07 2020 16:56 -
Adopt safer angling practices or you will deep hook eels. This is the one thing that keeps putting me off fishing for them, although I may give it a go again and try the Twig Rig.

To help avoid deep hooking :-

Have good bite indication and strike quickly.
Use an anti gorge rig (http://www.zandavan.co.uk/The%20Snig%20 ... %20gag.htm)

To minimise injury to deep hooked eels:-

Use barbless hooks and small sections of rubber band to keep baits on the hook.
Don't use really big hooks as they have potential to cause greater damage to internal organs than smaller ones
Don't prod around trying to remove a hook that is out of sight, but cut the trace as close to the hook as possible. A deep hooked Eel can 'regurgitate' a hook. This must be easier to do if it is barbless.
What Steve said! I tend to use a rubber maggot to keep lobs on rather than a bit of rubber band... but they both achieve the same result.
Eel Anglers are coming away from using the JS rig, which served it's purpose over the years but due to the length of the rig it doesn't lend itself to lip hooking.

I personally use a short 6" or so wire trace, either on the bottom or on a Dyson rig.

baits either a small fish section or worms.

like everything else keep it simple.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Im reading suggestions with great interest.

Fishing a place with 2+ Roach I tried DL's distance rig - blockend maggot feeder, stiff 2" hooklength & single maggot on a 16.
No good Roach but eels eels eeels, and nothing small, and Im not the only one to suffer the same fate.

An eel fishing friend used bits of fish on a nearby place and caught nothing but carp.

:shrug:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Steve C
Perch
Perch

Post by Steve C »

Mike J wrote: Mon Jun 08 2020 10:16 -

An eel fishing friend used bits of fish on a nearby place and caught nothing but carp.
It's just protein to a Carp.

I'm a believer that elvers are a seasonal delicacy for all fish species that inhabit the lower/tidal sections of rivers. An easy meal & very welcome after a long hard winter.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Mattjb wrote: Sun Jun 07 2020 16:58 -
I've done a couple of nights recently on a pit for eels,went last night,one missed run on prawn which could have been anything.deads on the other two rods,one off bottom. Bottom rigs basic free running ,dyson on the off bottom .It's only a small pit but I suspect not many eels in there.Big ones have come from the adjacent pits so they have to be there.its rammed with silvers and perch so worms are a non starter! If anyone's got any tips for next time I'm all ears, To be honest after reading all the eel books I'm not expecting it to be easy
I was using freshly caught roach and just the head, hard on the bottom ... Caught some nice ones but the confidence in my bait was 100% that night, all came after midnight as well.
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Stewlaws wrote: Mon Jun 08 2020 15:26 -
Mattjb wrote: Sun Jun 07 2020 16:58 -
I was using freshly caught roach and just the head, hard on the bottom ... Caught some nice ones but the confidence in my bait was 100% that night, all came after midnight as well.
I've been using freshly caught Rudd ,head on one rod tail on the other.You would think with the place being rammed with small fish that the eels would be predatory rather than invertebrate feeders but I suppose that might not be the case.i might give small livebaits a go sometime as well
Dave Smith
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Dave Smith »

Might be worth mentioning... I've seen a hell of a lot of pictures of large (6lbs plus) Eels and the majority where narrow mouthed... granted not all caught on worms but most narrow mouthed.

Food for thought.
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Dave Smith wrote: Tue Jun 09 2020 04:28 -
Might be worth mentioning... I've seen a hell of a lot of pictures of large (6lbs plus) Eels and the majority where narrow mouthed... granted not all caught on worms but most narrow mouthed.

Food for thought.
Dave,out of interest ,in the situation I described where a water is stacked with small Rudd etc what would your approach be if you suspected the bigger eels were narrow mouthed?
Cheers in advance,
Matt
Dave Smith
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Dave Smith »

I'd initially go in with both tactics fish bait and worm.. see what happens. I'll try and give you a more in depth answer later if I get chance...

At work face
Dave Smith
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Dave Smith »

Not sure if Mark Salt is still looking in, whilst I've caught quite a lot of Eels Marks caught a hell of a lot of big Eels.

I generally start with worms, purely on the basis that all Eels will eat worms. Whereas only broad mouthed and big Eels will take fish baits (generally speaking not 100% of the time).
Then I'll migrate to fish baits if I'm being booted out, or I'm blanking (which in my case is a lot!). Probably more prevalent to your situation the only time I'll go straight in with fish baits is when there are hoards of small fish... then I do the reverse and fish, fish baits until bites dry up then I'll convert. If I'm getting booted out on Fish Baits I find another water... possibly missing out on a bigger fish to be honest.. but there's little worse than staying up all night and catching boot after boot. and I love Eels.. I also work permanent nights so I tend to stay up for most of the night and sleep during the day.. I do have a bit of a doze on top of the sleeping back mind!

Nothing complicated in my fishing regardless of what I'm fishing for. Simple rigs, simple tactics.
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Dave Smith wrote: Wed Jun 10 2020 02:22 -
Not sure if Mark Salt is still looking in, whilst I've caught quite a lot of Eels Marks caught a hell of a lot of big Eels.

I generally start with worms, purely on the basis that all Eels will eat worms. Whereas only broad mouthed and big Eels will take fish baits (generally speaking not 100% of the time).
Then I'll migrate to fish baits if I'm being booted out, or I'm blanking (which in my case is a lot!). Probably more prevalent to your situation the only time I'll go straight in with fish baits is when there are hoards of small fish... then I do the reverse and fish, fish baits until bites dry up then I'll convert. If I'm getting booted out on Fish Baits I find another water... possibly missing out on a bigger fish to be honest.. but there's little worse than staying up all night and catching boot after boot. and I love Eels.. I also work permanent nights so I tend to stay up for most of the night and sleep during the day.. I do have a bit of a doze on top of the sleeping back mind!

Nothing complicated in my fishing regardless of what I'm fishing for. Simple rigs, simple tactics.
Cheers Dave,The last time I tried worms there I was using a dyson rig and the perch smashed them instantly. Maybe if I wait until a bit further into darkness and try them on the bottom very close to the bank that might work. There are plenty of tench in there though so it might not!
I think it's probably a case of persevering and hoping I end up fishing it on a night they feed.
Catfish Paul
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Catfish Paul »

I've been doing some Eel fishing recently, over the last few weeks.

Been using worms but getting perch after perch after perch

Going to change to fish baits

Has anyone had success with sea fish baits??
I'm thinking small chunk of Bluey, half sprat etc

Last year I had eels to just over 4lb so I know they are in there
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

Most of my decent eels have come while piking. They'll definitely take a seabait. Had a good one on a half macky from a well known SW loch many moons ago.
Dave Smith
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Dave Smith »

Lads are you getting Perch after dark on Worms?
I've had the occasional Perch on Worms but as they're predominantly sight feeders I don't tend to be troubled with them after dark...
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Dave Smith wrote: Wed Jun 10 2020 19:32 -
I've had the occasional Perch on Worms but as they're predominantly sight feeders I don't tend to be troubled with them after dark...
Yeah on a dyson rig they were on it as soon as I left the rod.Was just after dusk though so next time I'll try them on the bottom when it's properly dark.I suppose with a dyson rig the worms are silhouetted above the perch so are too tempting for the stripey devils!
Catfish Paul
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Catfish Paul »

andrew_nagel wrote: Wed Jun 10 2020 12:10 -
Most of my decent eels have come while piking. They'll definitely take a seabait. Had a good one on a half macky from a well known SW loch many moons ago.
Thanks for the heads up

I will try sea baits this weekend
Just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting my time with an inappropriate bait 👍
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Dave Smith wrote: Wed Jun 10 2020 19:32 -
Gave worms a go on two rods on Saturday night. Fished on the bottom this time close to the bank under the rod tips. Had two tench in the first hour of darkness then they left the worms alone, so did the perch and unfortunately so did the eels! Nice to know I've got the option of using worms again though.
Emma Hamilton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Emma Hamilton »

Ive done loads of eel fishing over the past couple of years and the best tip i had before i started was to use trout flesh as bait. They seem to love it. Ive also done OK on luncheon meat , they love that too. Trout flesh is the go, it's got tough skin and you can double hook through the skin with plenty of hook showing. Simple short running rigs all the way.

rob
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Emma Hamilton wrote: Thu Jun 18 2020 12:53 -
Ive done loads of eel fishing over the past couple of years and the best tip i had before i started was to use trout flesh as bait. They seem to love it. Ive also done OK on luncheon meat , they love that too. Trout flesh is the go, it's got tough skin and you can double hook through the skin with plenty of hook showing. Simple short running rigs all the way.

rob
I've never heard of trout flesh being good for eels,definitely sounds worth a try.I've got a 3/4lb brown in the freezer that I intended to use for pike but you may have found another use for it for me!
Was it effective on me particular water or did it work on a few different waters?
Emma Hamilton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Emma Hamilton »

Mattjb wrote: Thu Jun 18 2020 17:25 -
Emma Hamilton wrote: Thu Jun 18 2020 12:53 -

rob
Was it effective on me particular water or did it work on a few different waters?
Only been at them for a couple of years, so no expert. Only fished three different waters locally and been the best all-round bait for me.

Good-luck.

rob
Sam
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Sam »

Dead gudgeon are my go to if worms don't work. Fished on a JS rig (or Jim Gibbinson deep water leger rig, same thing) or a Dyson rig.

Caught loads on the above rigs and baits. Loads...