Deadbaiting for canal perch

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Re: Deadbaiting for canal perch

Post by Lee7499 »

stubbojo wrote: Fri Feb 26 2021 22:45 -
Lee7499 wrote: Sun Feb 14 2021 16:18 -
Mike J wrote: Sun Feb 14 2021 13:52 -
JasonR wrote: Sat Feb 13 2021 14:54 -
Just wondering guys, single hook rig through tail or lip? What is your preference?

Size 14 circle, thro the nostrils.
I only use minnows.

Cant agree more about the circle hooks , should be standard when targeting Perch. :thumbs:
have tried them , but had a few deep hook ups ,so went back to my normal hooks.....
Seems strange , only time I have heard of anyone having problems is when using offset circle hooks which is a no no .
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

suffolk si wrote: Sun Nov 29 2020 10:38 -
Had them on my syndicate on small roach dead’s, to be honest I’d pick worms or prawns or even lures as more effective though👍
Agreed......but freshly killed deadfish that twitch still do ok :boing:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Jason Skilton wrote: Mon Mar 01 2021 12:02 -
suffolk si wrote: Sun Nov 29 2020 10:38 -
Had them on my syndicate on small roach dead’s, to be honest I’d pick worms or prawns or even lures as more effective though👍
Agreed......but freshly killed deadfish that twitch still do ok :boing:
on my canal venue they take small deads no probs , thats if the pike dont get there first.....mind :thumbs:
the trouble is the pike jump straight on the lives , i just think the perch have a slightly better chance when its dead , but every venue is different i suppose
a small dead perch 2 to 3 inch for me every-time :thumbs: ......
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Lee7499 wrote: Sat Feb 27 2021 00:21 -
Just wondering guys, single hook rig through tail or lip? What is your preference?

I only use minnows.

Cant agree more about the circle hooks , should be standard when targeting Perch. :thumbs:
have tried them , but had a few deep hook ups ,so went back to my normal hooks.....
Seems strange , only time I have heard of anyone having problems is when using offset circle hooks which is a no no .
my choice is a size 4 offset hook not had any probs since going bigger on the hook size
me thinks they can swallow a circle hook to quick sometimes that can lead to deep hooking .
Thats why i use a off set hook theres more chance of it hooking in the mouth and not the throat .......but thats my theory on it ......
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Post by Lee7499 »

stubbojo wrote: Sat Mar 06 2021 23:03 -

I only use minnows.

my choice is a size 4 offset hook not had any probs since going bigger on the hook size
me thinks they can swallow a circle hook to quick sometimes that can lead to deep hooking .
Thats why i use a off set hook theres more chance of it hooking in the mouth and not the throat .......but thats my theory on it ......
Thats why you have had the problems .The whole design is that it cant hook anywhere else except for when its about to exit the mouth. By using the offset circle you are negating the whole idea for using the circle hook in the first place.
Perch being greedy buggers will inhale most baits straight down so working on that principle even if its gone past the throat area it can slide back out and wont take a hold till its turning to hook the edge of the mouth. An offset circle hook is used if you want the hook to penetrate no matter what area it comes into contact with so will be worse than a standard J hook to remove . :thumbs:
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Lee7499 wrote: Sun Mar 07 2021 08:58 -
stubbojo wrote: Sat Mar 06 2021 23:03 -

I only use minnows.

Thats why you have had the problems .The whole design is that it cant hook anywhere else except for when its about to exit the mouth. By using the offset circle you are negating the whole idea for using the circle hook in the first place.
Perch being greedy buggers will inhale most baits straight down so working on that principle even if its gone past the throat area it can slide back out and wont take a hold till its turning to hook the edge of the mouth. An offset circle hook is used if you want the hook to penetrate no matter what area it comes into contact with so will be worse than a standard J hook to remove . :thumbs:
just not a fan lee
been hitting the bigger perch just inside the mouth area on normal size 4 hooks to 10lb wire
like i said , was missing a lot of fish on the circle hooks , i like to strike in an instant you cant afford to leave these bites , as you say they dont half gulp the baits down even the smaller perch are very greedy.....