Deadbaiting for canal perch

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
JasonR
Roach
Roach

Deadbaiting for canal perch

Post by JasonR »

I am thinking of trying deadbaiting on my local canal for perch (zander are present also). Has anyone any experience of this? Livebaits are banned by the club.
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Re: Deadbaiting for canal perch

Post by suffolk si »

Had them on my syndicate on small roach dead’s, to be honest I’d pick worms or prawns or even lures as more effective thoughπŸ‘
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

I have some canal success on freshly kill deads - tend to do better with then if twitches or sink n draw etc. Agree with Si worms/prawns are easier and I find small lures/plastics pretty effective but these days a lot more people are using them.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

A freshly killed minnow or fry or even a whitebait is what I would use if lives were not permitted.

But beware, small deads on any canal is a slow burner for a seriously big eel.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

JasonR wrote: ↑Sun Nov 29 2020 07:58 -
I am thinking of trying deadbaiting on my local canal for perch (zander are present also). Has anyone any experience of this? Livebaits are banned by the club.
You'd have more fun watching paint dry than trying to dead bait for perch. I have never caught one on a static dead bait or seen one caught for that matter (fished sink and draw, yeah I have had them on small roach). Some of the advice (cough) people are giving is rather ill informed... a freshly killed minnow or whitebait FFS :knife:

If live baits are banned, then you either do it anyway - which is up to you - but I would... or a) fish lobs or b) Prawns or c) lure fish (my choice and you'll get the zander as well)
Piking Plonker
ADAM-F
Roach
Roach

Post by ADAM-F »

I have caught six perch on deadbaits over the years. None were by design as I was fishing for zander on each of those trips.
As Mark has said there are probably better options to target perch, but if you really wanted to catch them on dead bait then my accidental captures may be of interest.
All six were on small coarse deadbaits or half baits,
All six were taken on a sunk float paternoster rig with the bait suspended of the bottom,
and all six were caught in the dark.
They were all 1.5lb + too.
If you wanted to try deadbaiting for perch there is the rig, bait and time that might give you a chance.
JasonR
Roach
Roach

Post by JasonR »

Thanks for the advice guys
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Post by Lee7499 »

Prawns or air injected lobs are the two baits I would always use before ever considering anything else . The only problem with prawns are the bloody Carp when you want a nice stripey.
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall
Esoxuk
Perch
Perch

Post by Esoxuk »

Light jigs particularly 1.6" - 2.5" crazy fish nimbles on a 2g cheb rig or a Zman TRD on a 2.8g shroomz jig head fished very slow with twitches to lift it off the bottom now the water is cold will produce and induce takes from dormant fish that simply don't want to chase a meal.
Other than that live baits all the way.
R.O. Rotherham & Sheffield PAC (RA99)
PAC Products Manager
pete webster
Barbel
Barbel

Post by pete webster »

Life's too short for that pastime.
Christian97
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Christian97 »

Back in the day I used to deabait for eels all the time on waters which contained good perch I can only remember catching a perch once.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

My big perch have all been accidental (or opportunistic) captures while piking.

I've never caught one on a deadbait, but I know people who've found that when perch are in the swim and taking lives, a switch to a freshly killed bait will often sort out the bigger ones.

As an aside, I've just been reading an extract from a book, published in 1689, where the writer says a minnow-sized strip cut from the belly of a mackerel makes a very good perch bait! (Mind you, he also said that a small dead bird, plucked of its feathers, will take pike! :shrug: ).
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

John Milford wrote: ↑Sat Dec 12 2020 00:32 -

I've never caught one on a deadbait, but I know people who've found that when perch are in the swim and taking lives, a switch to a freshly killed bait will often sort out the bigger ones.

As an aside, I've just been reading an extract from a book, published in 1689, where the writer says a minnow-sized strip cut from the belly of a mackerel makes a very good perch bait! (Mind you, he also said that a small dead bird, plucked of its feathers, will take pike! :shrug: ).
A wobbled chaffinch - feathers left on - makes a good wobbled pike bait.

So I have been told. :grin:
JasonR
Roach
Roach

Post by JasonR »

I have tried dead chicks legered for pike, never caught on them though.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

davelumb wrote: ↑Sat Dec 12 2020 09:30 -

Wings folded or extended? :pipe:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

John Milford wrote: ↑Sat Dec 12 2020 11:21 -

Extended. :wink:
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

davelumb wrote: ↑Sat Dec 12 2020 11:49 -

:thumbs:

(So you've "been told" . . . :wink: )
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

John Milford wrote: ↑Sat Dec 12 2020 13:23 -
davelumb wrote: ↑Sat Dec 12 2020 11:49 -

:thumbs:

(So you've "been told" . . . :wink: )
Someone else suggested robins to me.

I must have one of those faces.... :roll:
pete webster
Barbel
Barbel

Post by pete webster »

:boing: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Mark Phillips wrote: ↑Fri Dec 04 2020 20:54 -
JasonR wrote: ↑Sun Nov 29 2020 07:58 -
You'd have more fun watching paint dry than trying to dead bait for perch. I have never caught one on a static dead bait or seen one caught for that matter (fished sink and draw, yeah I have had them on small roach). Some of the advice (cough) people are giving is rather ill informed... a freshly killed minnow or whitebait FFS :knife:

If live baits are banned, then you either do it anyway - which is up to you - but I would... or a) fish lobs or b) Prawns or c) lure fish (my choice and you'll get the zander as well)
dont disregard deads for perch , i have lost count of how many perch i have caught on them , even out fished lives on certain days
i fish anchored paternoster rigs with a small float , 10lb to 15lb wire to a size 4 hook ......if pike are present pleas, please fish a wire trace , they will and do bite fluoro with ease
regardless of what people say......the perch are not looking at the wire only your bait before they hit it.....
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

I've caught a few myself on small dead bleak cast out for eels in the middle of the night.
JasonR
Roach
Roach

Post by JasonR »

Just wondering guys, single hook rig through tail or lip? What is your preference?
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Canal in my area I wouldn't use static deads. Twitching, sink and draw, trotting a small 3cm perch(could catch loads in summer) lip hooked with a single. Found an inlet/outlet flow was always good for trotting a perch down the side the canal wall.

I always use wire, it doesnt bother a perch much imo. Too many randy Jacks in canal
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

JasonR wrote: ↑Sat Feb 13 2021 14:54 -
Just wondering guys, single hook rig through tail or lip? What is your preference?
when i do live bait...... single size 4 top lip with a rubber bait stop or cut up a red bait flag into 4 keeps the bait on longer
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Andrew Croft wrote: ↑Sat Feb 13 2021 15:32 -
Canal in my area I wouldn't use static deads. Twitching, sink and draw, trotting a small 3cm perch(could catch loads in summer) lip hooked with a single. Found an inlet/outlet flow was always good for trotting a perch down the side the canal wall.

I always use wire, it doesnt bother a perch much imo. Too many randy Jacks in canal
the pike are a real pain where i fish for perch , for every 1 perch probably catch 6 pike first to doubles ....... thats earlier in the season say oct/dec
i anchored my nostered rig with 2 oz , they say perch dont like risistance what so ever , cant say i have noticed when then bolt off towing the lead with them , same with the pike
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

pete webster wrote: ↑Fri Dec 11 2020 21:09 -
Top advice Webbo. :thumbs:

Fishing for Zeds since my yoof using small lives and very fresh deadbaits during both day and night, I've only ever encountered the 1 Perch to a deadbait and witnessed a mate fluke 1 other. Plenty of Eels though, especially in the earlier days.

I have had a fair few perch on paternostered lives while Zedding though....
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Fentiger01 wrote: ↑Sat Feb 13 2021 23:45 -
pete webster wrote: ↑Fri Dec 11 2020 21:09 -
Top advice Webbo. :thumbs:

Fishing for Zeds since my yoof using small lives and very fresh deadbaits during both day and night, I've only ever encountered the 1 Perch to a deadbait and witnessed a mate fluke 1 other. Plenty of Eels though, especially in the earlier days.

I have had a fair few perch on paternostered lives while Zedding though....
What Pete and Dave saidπŸ‘, my syndicate has a good head of perch and in four years on there I’ve only caught two on dead’s despite using naturals quite often, ( both were mid two pounders)stick a little live on and it’s another matter!
Similar results on local river lots of perch on lives whilst piking never one on a dead...
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Size 14 circle, thro the nostrils.
I only use minnows.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Post by Lee7499 »

Mike J wrote: ↑Sun Feb 14 2021 13:52 -

I only use minnows.

Cant agree more about the circle hooks , should be standard when targeting Perch. :thumbs:
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Lee7499 wrote: ↑Sun Feb 14 2021 16:18 -
Mike J wrote: ↑Sun Feb 14 2021 13:52 -

I only use minnows.

Cant agree more about the circle hooks , should be standard when targeting Perch. :thumbs:
have tried them , but had a few deep hook ups ,so went back to my normal hooks.....