Trout on Deadbait

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Luki86
Stickleback
Stickleback

Trout on Deadbait

Post by Luki86 » Sat Dec 05 2020 18:03

Hey my Friends!

I am new here on pikers pit and read a lot of interessting things the last days.
It was very interessting for me that there are some trout has been catched during pike fishing.
Can you tell me more about this catches?
I read a book about ferox trout and there is something written about deadbaiting at night for ferox trout. Is this normal?
Are the trouts bigger which are catched on deadbaits during piking?

I hope i can get some informations from you here.
I am very sorry for my bad Englisch.

All the best from Austria

Luke

Steve D
Chub
Chub

Re: Trout on Deadbait

Post by Steve D » Sat Dec 05 2020 18:56

It’s very common for trout to be caught on deadbaits, they can actually become a pain but it’s all part and parcel of fishing for pike on the trout reservoirs . It doesn’t seem to matter what bait you use either, if they can fit it in their gob they will have it! There’s been some Huge ones caught on deadbaits over the years by Pikers . I’ve had them to 11lb myself on mackerel but others have had much bigger.

Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb » Sat Dec 05 2020 20:00

Over here some of us pikers fish reservoirs that are stocked with trout as the pike that live in them grow big eating them.Catching trout on deadbaits is fairly common on these waters,the bigger ones are often brown trout.I've had several over 10lb with the biggest going 17.13lb but I believe the biggest from Chew valley is around 22lb.They will take sea deads such as sardines and mackerel and the days when they are really on the feed they can be a nuisance if you are trying to catch pike!

Mike J
Zander
Zander

Post by Mike J » Sun Dec 06 2020 13:03

In some English rivers migratory Trout/Sea Trout will eat deadbaits, sea fish baits but also baits made from fish pellets used in commercial fish farming, I know of fish to 7kg that have been caught on both.
Large Brown trout can also be caught on some lure patterns/colours.

Welcome to our Forum :handshake:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus

Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips » Sun Jan 10 2021 14:46

Mattjb wrote:
Over here some of us pikers fish reservoirs that are stocked with trout as the pike that live in them grow big eating them.Catching trout on deadbaits is fairly common on these waters,the bigger ones are often brown trout.I've had several over 10lb with the biggest going 17.13lb but I believe the biggest from Chew valley is around 22lb.They will take sea deads such as sardines and mackerel and the days when they are really on the feed they can be a nuisance if you are trying to catch pike!
Agree 100%, very common to get trout picking up deads on UK trout reservoirs, the biggest trout each year are usually caught by pike anglers. LOL. Lure wise, if you fish with certain lures and err on the smaller side, it can be a fish a cast in some places - hence the sensible rules applied regarding minimum lure sizes. Having said that, I've had a few double figure brownies on lures when pike fishing - all have taken big lures, e.g. I had 15.08 brownie on a 14" crank bait.
Piking Plonker

Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb » Sun Jan 10 2021 15:53

Mark Phillips wrote:
Mattjb wrote:
Agree 100%, very common to get trout picking up deads on UK trout reservoirs, the biggest trout each year are usually caught by pike anglers. LOL. Lure wise, if you fish with certain lures and err on the smaller side, it can be a fish a cast in some places - hence the sensible rules applied regarding minimum lure sizes. Having said that, I've had a few double figure brownies on lures when pike fishing - all have taken big lures, e.g. I had 15.08 brownie on a 14" crank bait.
I was fishing walley bank one February next to my mate using the same baits. I had a 26,19 and four other doubles.My mate on the other hand had a mare,lost a good pike at the net then proceeded to get absolutely annihilated by trout,every cast.Poor b*****d couldn't keep a bait out there for 5 mins ! Eventually he hooked what he was sure was a big pike,it turned out to be a trout around 8lb hooked in the back!
It was strange he was getting the trout trouble and I wasn't,can only think he was in the edge of a big shoal of them.

keith the piker
Roach
Roach

Post by keith the piker » Thu Jan 14 2021 12:40

As Matt says, trout can be a real nuisance when deadbaiting for pike. I've had a lot of big ferox trout from a glacial lake on dead baits (they seem to like herring best ...) with some of these being caught at night.

Luki86
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Luki86 » Fri Jan 15 2021 15:49

Many Thanks for your answers my friends. :)
Take the trouts the deadbait from the bottom? Maybe they do scavenging like the big pikes?

andrew_nagel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by andrew_nagel » Sat Jan 16 2021 14:22

On big glacial lakes with natural stocks of wild trout they take deadbaits regularly. It's usually bigger trout and it's surprising the size of baits they'll take. I've caught lots of them on bottom fished deadbaits intended for pike. Also had them on livebaits and lures fished higher in the water.

DavyMc
Barbel
Barbel

Post by DavyMc » Sat Jan 16 2021 14:47

My pal decided to stop trolling for ferox trout which is particularly slow on that water and just basically pike fish in 60 plus feet of water. Amused himself by catching small ones on the maggot feeder and after many days trying caught one of 11lb. Not the most productive of waters to any method it although it does records every few decades, there're plenty more lochs further north that would do multiple catches of smaller trout on baits in a day.
"Rise, like lions after slumber: In unvanquishable number! Shake your chains to earth like dew: Which in sleep had fallen on you: Ye are many—they are few!"