Pile fly info

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
voyagerxp
Stickleback
Stickleback

Pile fly info

Post by voyagerxp »

I've quite new at pike and lure fishing. The other week I was watching a YouTube video where a guy was pike fishing with pike flys. So i brought a couple from an online shop. They seem very light, do they need weights or do you just use them on a trace line as is.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Re: Pile fly info

Post by Andrew »

Pike flys require a fly rod and reel with fly line. Might not be interpreting your comment correctly but doesnt read like you have these :scratch:
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

They can be cast quite easily with light lure rods Andrew, larger ones, when wet will cast fine on there own, smaller ones may need a bit of weight added, cherub or similar.
Certainly not essential to use a fly rod :wink: .
Will.
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

Jig fly's are also quite common now, essentially just a fly tied onto a jig head.

I use normal pike fly's using the method mentioned above tho with no issues.
Lures, tackle and shiny things

www.eplures.com
Neil_M
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Neil_M »

If you're fishing with a lure rod you'll need some additional casting weight. You can easily add a cheburashka (cheb) weight, 5 or 7 grammes works for my 7 inch fly. Don't add the cheb in line though as I've been warned that they can fail if you're using heavy braid. They can be attached to the clip you're using to attach the trace to the fly.

Doing this turns your fly into a jig fly as Luke mentions above. Very good pike lure in my humble opinion.
bacon
Roach
Roach

Post by bacon »

Also consider a bombardier float, people use them to fish with fly on a spinning rod for bass. The bombardier float, as the name suggest floats though, so you might need a long leader to get down to the depth you require.
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Depends just how big and un-aerodynamic your flies are and the depth and size of the water. Personally, nowadays I'm using 6" plus flies and have just started using an S7 sinking line so that I can cover deep weir pools of up to 20' deep. Anyways, I think with bigger pike flies you'll obtain several advantages using proper fly fishing tackle. A 9# rod and matching reel with at least 50 yards of backing (just in case), couple with a selection of lines, depending on the water's depth. If you buy a cassette reel then it's much cheaper as you'll only need to buy the one reel to start with. With proper gear you can also use a much bigger variety of flies. It's also better excercise, with all the casting and all. But you'll need some fly casting lessons unless you're already a proficient fly fisher.