Zander Culling

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
JohnCostello
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Zander Culling

Post by JohnCostello »

James Benfield filmed this yesterday. It’s in the marina/basin at Worcester where the canal joins the river. Not only are Zander being removed but 20 or so bream.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/zandera ... 490376635/
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Re: Zander Culling

Post by Danoutdoors »

Jeez that sux, taking all present fish by the looks, no wonder my old local bit of grand union where I used to live is devoid of fish these days, used to have a good zander population, damn shame, hope this vid could lead to it being stopped.
spincityfan
Chub
Chub

Post by spincityfan »

How are they classed as key workers? Should be reported to the Police!
Introducing the worlds worst Barbel Angler,

Mr Ash Shaw
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Do you or anyone know why the fish were being netted, the employers of the workers, and what happened to the fish?

I dont used FB hence the questions.

It would be interesting to know why the operation is classified as essential work.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

It is shocking in this day and age that Zander are still being persecuted like this.

Clowns doing it under current constraints with no protective gear such as face-masks, nor any social distancing at all either. :shrug:
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
JohnCostello
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by JohnCostello »

Mike J wrote: Sat Jan 30 2021 12:05 -
Do you or anyone know why the fish were being netted, the employers of the workers, and what happened to the fish?

I dont used FB hence the questions.

It would be interesting to know why the operation is classified as essential work.

The electro fishing is being done by M.E.M. Fisheries who are employed by the CRT to remove zander from their canals. I suspect the Zander will end up at Billingsgate or similar.
Being cynical, and mindful of the public location, a lock basin within a short walking distance of the city centre, I suspect the ‘fishing’ was done at the present time to avoid too many members of the public being present.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Could it could be argued that this is fish stock management and therefore a permitted reason for travel and work?
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Timing? They'll have wanted to catch them before they spawn. Possibly waited until the zander have shoaled up in the basin to spawn. Much more efficient that way. But that's just my guess and I'm probably completely wrong! Dreadful shame!
The great Gavino
Roach
Roach

Post by The great Gavino »

No wonder I can’t find any
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Zander are still classifised as a non native species in 90% of the river and lakes I'm afraid.

What needs to happen is for ZAC to get zander to get them afforded the same status as non native species as naturalised.

Until that happens, fishery owners will seek there removal.
Steve C
Perch
Perch

Post by Steve C »

I'm not sure the CRT are rolling in cash, so targeting 'smaller' venues where any work they do is shown to have a positive impact - i.e. preservation of native species in that location, is understandable.

As Jason says Zander aren't currently protected
The great Gavino
Roach
Roach

Post by The great Gavino »

Jason Skilton wrote: Mon Feb 01 2021 12:58 -
Zander are still classifised as a non native species in 90% of the river and lakes I'm afraid.

What needs to happen is for ZAC to get zander to get them afforded the same status as non native species as naturalised.

That’ll be hard work. Not much has changed for the poor old buggers since I got obsessed with them in the 90’s.
Graham Benyon
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Graham Benyon »

They are believed to have ended up at a fishmongers in Milton Keynes although no one can prove that the Zander they were selling came from the culling of the Midlands canals. The Culling team were also seen to take bream and roach I believe. Obviously a good money earner for them maybe?
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Graham Benyon wrote: Tue Feb 09 2021 13:03 -
They are believed to have ended up at a fishmongers in Milton Keynes although no one can prove that the Zander they were selling came from the culling of the Midlands canals. The Culling team were also seen to take bream and roach I believe. Obviously a good money earner for them maybe?

I saw frozen Bream for sale in an East European shop in Southampton on Sept 18 (the same day I caught Covid)

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
fenfisher55
Roach
Roach

Post by fenfisher55 »

I have seen a freezer full of bream in Peterborough, just up the road from Millfield, an area of Peterborough with a large population of East Europeans.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

ZAC are getting its act together
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Good article in today's AT ref the culling at Diglis Marina with a comment from our very own JC. :thumbs:

Great to see ZAC on it too. :thumbs:
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

Fentiger01 wrote: Tue Feb 16 2021 11:42 -
Good article in today's AT ref the culling at Diglis Marina with a comment from our very own JC. :thumbs:

Any clarity on why they were taking the bream? I signed the petition the other day, hope some change happens 👍
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Danoutdoors wrote: Tue Feb 16 2021 12:08 -

Any clarity on why they were taking the bream? I signed the petition the other day, hope some change happens 👍
Moving them to a fishable stretch according to the article in the paper.
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

Fentiger01 wrote: Tue Feb 16 2021 12:15 -
Danoutdoors wrote: Tue Feb 16 2021 12:08 -

Moving them to a fishable stretch according to the article in the paper.
Oh right, thanks
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

The great Gavino wrote: Mon Feb 01 2021 14:23 -
Jason Skilton wrote: Mon Feb 01 2021 12:58 -

That’ll be hard work. Not much has changed for the poor old buggers since I got obsessed with them in the 90’s.
Not quite true, you can apply for them to be classed as naturalised in stillwwaters if they have been present for 20+ years. Perhaps ZAC and AT should combine there resources and apply for Zander to be classed as naturailised in the UK.
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

ZAC petition signed this afternoon. :thumbs: