NED RIGS

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

NED RIGS

Post by stubbojo »

got myself some ned rigs just liked the look of em
thought i would have a go at the perch in a very deep quarry
straight out the packet 3rd twitch back
it all went solid ,
the ned rig works ok 003.jpg
not the intended target but gave a good account of itself on me dropshot rod
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Re: NED RIGS

Post by Fentiger01 »

:thumbs:
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Burnyburnside
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Burnyburnside »

Quality fish πŸ‘
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Burnyburnside wrote: ↑Wed Feb 17 2021 00:07 -
Quality fish πŸ‘
nice on a dropshot rod , no probs playing it too
cheers pal :thumbs:
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

Well in πŸ‘πŸ‘
Lures, tackle and shiny things

www.eplures.com
TeranceT
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by TeranceT »

Great fish :thumbs:
I fish the ned rig a lot. My target is Perch but catch more Pike.
As the lockdown has reduced the boat traffic on the canal the water I fish has become very clear. With my Polaroid glasses on I was watching about eight Perch following my bait but wouldn't take it. It was creating a small cloud of sediment as I twitched it back so I just left it motionless and the Perch were still just looking at it, suddenly they scattered and a Pike zoomed in kicking up a cloud of sediment. Fish of about 5 or 6lb was landed.
I've started leaving it still for upto 4 minutes when I know there are fish in the area and I'm catching a few more Perch.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

TeranceT wrote: ↑Wed Mar 03 2021 22:30 -
As the lockdown has reduced the boat traffic on the canal the water I fish has become very clear. With my Polaroid glasses on I was watching about eight Perch following my bait but wouldn't take it. It was creating a small cloud of sediment as I twitched it back so I just left it motionless and the Perch were still just looking at it, suddenly they scattered and a Pike zoomed in kicking up a cloud of sediment. Fish of about 5 or 6lb was landed.
I've started leaving it still for upto 4 minutes when I know there are fish in the area and I'm catching a few more Perch.
Ive had some clonking perch out the Terence just leaving a jigbait settle on the bottom for a minute after giving it a few jigs
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

they like the hang pal so to speak .........my mate hates the ned rigs , he just cant get to grips with it
you cant go slow enough pal with these lures .....a lot of guys fish these to fast ..slower the better for me....
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

There must be something about Neds that is very attractive to pike. Lots of pike seem to be caught on them :thumbs:
TeranceT
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by TeranceT »

stubbojo wrote: ↑Thu Mar 04 2021 22:25 -
they like the hang pal so to speak .........my mate hates the ned rigs , he just cant get to grips with it
you cant go slow enough pal with these lures .....a lot of guys fish these to fast ..slower the better for me....
Kev Berry wrote: ↑Thu Mar 04 2021 19:02 -
Ive had some clonking perch out the Terence just leaving a jigbait settle on the bottom for a minute after giving it a few jigs
So it's not just me then.
Slow is definitely the way to go.
What are your go to colours?
Pink ones and white ones are the most successful for me.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

TeranceT wrote: ↑Thu Mar 04 2021 23:40 -
I found those gold fish coloured jigs/lures from Korum deadly for perch. Same for those grubs with a curly tail.
I hooked a branch one day and the worm got tore off. 10 mins later I got a 4lb plus perch on the same worm and it coughed the lost one up.
One of the places I fished was so thick with perch all you had to do was drop an orange jig to the bottom ...and wait for the rod to bend
Heres a pic of what lies beneath....all perch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TeranceT
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by TeranceT »

Kev Berry wrote: ↑Fri Mar 05 2021 00:04 -
I found those gold fish coloured jigs/lures from Korum deadly for perch. Same for those grubs with a curly tail.
I hooked a branch one day and the worm got tore off. 10 mins later I got a 4lb plus perch on the same worm and it coughed the lost one up.
One of the places I fished was so thick with perch all you had to do was drop an orange jig to the bottom ...and wait for the rod to bend
Heres a pic of what lies beneath....all perch
That's a nice image Kev.
You just have to milk a situation like that.
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

Can anyone tell me whats the difference between a Ned rig and a Jig rig?
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

the more natural colours work for me ...but have caught on the orange
i have some of the craws but not fished these yet ....but they look the part..... should work on chub too
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

GAVIN H wrote: ↑Fri Mar 05 2021 21:57 -
somebody might correct me on this gavin
the ned you fish on the bottom just twitching it very slowly ,
jig baits you can bounce them and retrieve them well off the bottom , a kind of up and down motion as you retrieve
or on a boat you can just jig it up and down as the name implies
i suppose what people class as a jig bait or rig and how you use this method :thumbs:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Mark_Houghton wrote: ↑Thu Mar 04 2021 22:28 -
There must be something about Neds that is very attractive to pike. Lots of pike seem to be caught on them :thumbs:
they just look like a prey fish grubbing about on the bottom .......and the debri it kicks up definitely attracts some interest :thumbs:
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

stubbojo wrote: ↑Fri Mar 05 2021 22:19 -
jig baits you can bounce them and retrieve them well off the bottom , a kind of up and down motion as you retrieve
i suppose what people class as a jig bait or rig and how you use this method :thumbs:
Cheers mate :thumbs:
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

stubbojo wrote: ↑Fri Mar 05 2021 22:19 -
Not bad, but as you can fish jigs exactly in the same way you would a Ned, it's really the same thing by a different name. I often catch zander by maintaining bottom contact with a jig, almost not moving it at all. The Ned originated from bass fishing in America by a guy called Ned Kehde. It's a bit of misnomer, as a Ned is a jig, albeit a mushroom jig head with a straight, often buoyant grub without a curly or paddle tail. I've been using the method for some time, but word's out now and everyone seems to raving about it Not that different from what I was doing 20 years ago with dragon lizards and small stand-ups - I used to murder some rivers with that method. Kept very quiet about it though...

The most worrying thing is the very wide misconception that you have to fish a Ned on a FC leader to catch perch - use wire and you'll catch nothing. Just search Youtube and you'll find plenty of people not using wire. Unreal. I've always used wire with Neds and it hasn't dented my catches. Anyway... to the question, a Ned is a jig, just fished differently with a different style of soft plastic grub/worm. Besides pike, perch and zander, I've had chub, brown trout and even a few barbel on Neds. I think they've gained popularity as they're easy to fish and cheap... at any rate, a very effective lure fishing method, even in unskilled hands. You can't go wrong with them.
Piking Plonker
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

the point i was making is that you need to keep contact with the bottom with the ned , well thats how i fish them anyway
the few people i have seen using them fish them way to fast like a lure , but if they catch fish twitching it fast carry on doing it.
but in my case of using the neds i seem to do better ultra slow , with the odd twitch
you need the right bottom for this to work correctly ,as they will find snags easily and yes i always use a wire trace normaly 15lb test wire.
think people shy away from these as they are not cheap as you know the hooks come separate , find the right venue and you should not lose many
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

stubbojo wrote: ↑Sat Mar 06 2021 21:31 -
the point i was making is that you need to keep contact with the bottom with the ned , well thats how i fish them anyway
the few people i have seen using them fish them way to fast like a lure , but if they catch fish twitching it fast carry on doing it.
but in my case of using the neds i seem to do better ultra slow , with the odd twitch
you need the right bottom for this to work correctly ,as they will find snags easily and yes i always use a wire trace normaly 15lb test wire.
think people shy away from these as they are not cheap as you know the hooks come separate , find the right venue and you should not lose many
Fishing Neds is no different to fishing stand-up jigs for zander - I often stick a sleeper rod on the deck and just let it drag as the boat drifts - caught many fish doing that. Neds are just a fashionable way of doing the same thing with a mushroom jig head and a straight worm/grub. Yes, you're right, slowly catch yer monkey is the way to fish them... I fish Neds by lift drop and dead-sticking (a boring, but it works)... slow dragging - yeah, works well but is only ever viable if you have hard gravel or very firm clay. I'd switch to a stand-up jig with a nylon hook guard and probably a Lizard to counteract snaggy bottoms. God knows what pike, perch and zander think of lizards, as they can't have ever seen one - but they love 'em! Very underrated soft plastic creature IMO.
Piking Plonker
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

i always go home with a stiff neck when fishing the neds
think its because the way i fish them slow ........no pain no gain ...me thinks
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Post by Lee7499 »

stubbojo wrote: ↑Mon Mar 08 2021 20:48 -
Have you tried using a rod and reel mate ,holding a Ned in your teeth and bobbing it in and out the water is always going to make your neck ache . :joker: :exit:
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall
Esoxuk
Perch
Perch

Post by Esoxuk »

To decrease the risk of snagging I use cheb weights and a fine wire EWG hook to give a weedless presentation, its very effective.
R.O. Rotherham & Sheffield PAC (RA99)
PAC Products Manager
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Esoxuk wrote: ↑Tue Mar 09 2021 14:41 -
To decrease the risk of snagging I use cheb weights and a fine wire EWG hook to give a weedless presentation, its very effective.
sounds good pal might have a look at that set up
at the moment i choose relatively snag free areas , but this might let me find a more featured area ,with out snagging
cheers pal :thumbs:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Lee7499 wrote: ↑Mon Mar 08 2021 22:53 -
Have you tried using a rod and reel mate ,holding a Ned in your teeth and bobbing it in and out the water is always going to make your neck ache . :joker: :exit:
big welsh pike 001.JPG
this one didnt half strain my neck
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Post by Lee7499 »

stubbojo wrote: ↑Tue Mar 09 2021 19:16 -
Lee7499 wrote: ↑Mon Mar 08 2021 22:53 -
big welsh pike 001.JPG this one didnt half strain my neck
:laughs: Nice on mate :thumbs:
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall