Zander

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Kev Berry

Zander

Post by Kev Berry »

Two big zeds out the Terence
One claimed (guestimated) to be 17..18lb
The other supposedly weighed and claimed 21lb
Both are cracking fish....but are they the claimed weight?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Zander

Post by Nige Johns »

Nice fish but I doubt it
The scales picture proves nothing and the second picture is so far out at arms length,who knows
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Post by alan behenna »

Lovely fish mind:

But I bloody hate "guesstimates" ( one man's "guess" is another man's "Hollocks!") and the "ram it straight out at the camera" shots. :roll:

Present your achievement properly, if you can, to enhance the memory, not........................

:laughs:
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Where's :nev: when we need him? :clown: :exit:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
The great Gavino
Roach
Roach

Post by The great Gavino »

First picture doesn’t look anywhere near a big double to me. Forgive me if I’m wrong
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

I would give the one on the net 9lb and the other at 16..17lb ish
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Post by Lee7499 »

Wouldn't have a clue as we are not lucky enough to have Zander in South Wales but neither look a fish over 16lb .
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall
horseshoe3
Barbel
Barbel

Post by horseshoe3 »

John Milford wrote: Sat Feb 27 2021 12:26 -
Where's :nev: when we need him? :clown: :exit:
Hes among us :laughs: :laughs:
Timothy edwards
Mako234
Roach
Roach

Post by Mako234 »

looks like hes including the landing net head in the bottom photo if its wet then its got to weigh 4 pound at least
JohnCostello
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by JohnCostello »

If you don’t know how to spell the word (Zanda ffs) then I wouldn’t trust you to weigh them properly either. 16 max.
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

JohnCostello wrote: Sun Feb 28 2021 09:09 -
If you don’t know how to spell the word (Zanda ffs) then I wouldn’t trust you to weigh them properly either. 16 max.
👍🤣 top one not very big at all, bottom one looks a good un though👍
Muskie
Chub
Chub

Post by Muskie »

Nige Johns wrote: Sat Feb 27 2021 11:43 -
Nice fish but I doubt it
The scales picture proves nothing and the second picture is so far out at arms length,who knows
Agreed.
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

:laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :thumbs:
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

suffolk si wrote: Sun Feb 28 2021 09:54 -
The captor of the top one says he has caught loads over 15 with a pb of 18.4
Says he could tell it wasnt as big as his PB so wasnt bothered what it weighed and estimated it at 17..18lb
:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

The captor of the bottom ones mate says the weight is proper cos he saw it :roll:
Does look a good fish....
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Kev Berry wrote: Sun Feb 28 2021 21:17 -
suffolk si wrote: Sun Feb 28 2021 09:54 -
The captor of the top one says he has caught loads over 15 with a pb of 18.4
Says he could tell it wasnt as big as his PB so wasnt bothered what it weighed and estimated it at 17..18lb
:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

The captor of the bottom ones mate says the weight is proper cos he saw it :roll:
Does look a good fish....
I’d take either of them lol, the bottom one looks a chunk👍
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

i am always wary when an angler shows the scales in a pic
as if he has to prove to you its the size it is .........i would say not the weight on the scales myself......but very hard sometimes from a pic
if its the weight... its the weight you would not have to prove it with the scales photo to anybody else.. a witness would do
cracking fish in anybodys book.... looks like the fish and net weight in the pic
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Can't see why photographing the scales would lessen credibility. Mate of mine does that with every fish he weighs and he's a very respected carp angler. Anyway, the bottom fish looks very decent, could be the claimed weight, especially given where it was caught. I do wonder how many people have commented here but have never seen or let alone caught a zander over 15lb... I've had a few in my travels and would say that they can be physically smaller than the actual weight suggests, which can make it difficult to ascertain weight from pictures :neutral:
Piking Plonker
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Mark Phillips wrote: Sat Mar 13 2021 17:24 -
Can't see why photographing the scales would lessen credibility. Mate of mine does that with every fish he weighs and he's a very respected carp angler. Anyway, the bottom fish looks very decent, could be the claimed weight, especially given where it was caught. I do wonder how many people have commented here but have never seen or let alone caught a zander over 15lb... I've had a few in my travels and would say that they can be physically smaller than the actual weight suggests, which can make it difficult to ascertain weight from pictures :neutral:
you dont see it often fish and scales in most circumstances...
or does he post pics showing this ......
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Ive had zeds to 14. 12 from there. A friend has had them to about 15 and a bit and others to just over 16.
The supposed guestimated 17..18 caught on opposite side measures out at 12 to 13lb
21lb ...... thats a big fish......i dont think the weight is right
Just done a finger to length comparison.....measures to approx 36"
That gives a weight of 17lb ish
Even if im 3 inch out it still gives a weight of 19 lb
Allowed 1inch per finger width...which might be a bit generous
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

stubbojo wrote: Sat Mar 13 2021 19:16 -
you dont see it often fish and scales in most circumstances...
or does he post pics showing this ......
Sorry mate, haven't a clue what you're trying to say there. I'm guessing you're still fretting about people taking photos of the scales - my mate does it as an aide-memoire - personally, I just have an app on the phone for recording weights, etc. Like me, he has no real interest in waving his willy on social media.
Piking Plonker
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Kev Berry wrote: Sat Mar 13 2021 22:31 -
Ive had zeds to 14. 12 from there. A friend has had them to about 15 and a bit and others to just over 16.
The supposed guestimated 17..18 caught on opposite side measures out at 12 to 13lb
That does makes sense, thank you. I've never actually measured length, but the two 17's I've had were really big framed fish. The handful of Zander I've had over 15 from the rivers and drains mind, have all been quite stocky and weighed more than they looked. I suppose with these people who claim such big zeds, they're only lying to themselves at the end of the day.
Piking Plonker
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Mark Phillips wrote: Sun Mar 14 2021 16:17 -
Kev Berry wrote: Sat Mar 13 2021 22:31 -
That does makes sense, thank you. I've never actually measured length, but the two 17's I've had were really big framed fish. The handful of Zander I've had over 15 from the rivers and drains mind, have all been quite stocky and weighed more than they looked. I suppose with these people who claim such big zeds, they're only lying to themselves at the end of the day.
Theres a graph on tinternet gives weight/length ratio....apparently pretty accurate. Just type in zander weight/ length
The guy claiming a 17/18lb er has his fish lying lengthwise on a 30" landing net🤣.....like i said if it tops 13lb hes lucky