eel on mackerel tail

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

eel on mackerel tail

Post by stubbojo »

eels and pike 006.JPG
this gave me a screaming run too
have spotted some really big eels in the water on the waterwolf camera
so will be having a go for them when the weather warms up
this was last year early on
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by stubbojo on Sat Mar 06 2021 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Carragher
Perch
Perch

Re: eel on mackerel tail

Post by Brian Carragher »

That looks like a proper eel
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Brian Carragher wrote: Sat Mar 06 2021 23:16 -
theres bigger in there pal .....and nobody fishes for these .....
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Nice eel stubbojo :thumbs:
Regards
Tom
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Happy Hayes wrote: Sat Mar 06 2021 23:51 -
Nice eel stubbojo :thumbs:
Regards
Tom
:thumbs:
Brian Carragher
Perch
Perch

Post by Brian Carragher »

stubbojo wrote: Sat Mar 06 2021 23:18 -
Think if it was me I'd be keeping it under wraps and fishing it hard with small roach deads, you could be sat on a winner there

Is there many eel anglers on there
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Post by alan behenna »

Well Done.............and your welcome. :grin:

Can't stand the things. Mess of your gear and slime everywhere.

But fair play for a decent catch.

Wait till you encounter a good one on a lure, unwelcome visitors.

:laughs:
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

IMG_20200714_095206.jpg
Here's a nice one I caught using one of my dad's old rods. The belly rub trick worked a treat in calming it down for the photo. Nowadays I only fish for them once or twice a year. This one took a bleak's head.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Out of interest ,what weight were they Gents .
Big eels are a thing of beauty
Regards
Tom
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Happy Hayes wrote: Sun Mar 07 2021 11:06 -
Regards
Tom
Mine was a tiddler, only 31/2 lb. From the Thames where I've had them up to 41/2lb. On a local gravel pit they go much bigger.
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Pinkie wrote: Sun Mar 07 2021 12:28 -
Regards
Tom
Mine was a tiddler, only 31/2 lb. From the Thames where I've had them up to 41/2lb. On a local gravel pit they go much bigger.
I’ve had them to 3 1/2 myself never managed to better it .
And would you believe it that one was caught on a Roach pole when I weren’t even after them :laughs:
Regards
Tom
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Years ago when I was a lad, I saw this chap trying to land an enormous eel. He was using a match rod, roach fishing. Unfortunately, after several attempts at netting the beast, the hook hold gave way and the eel escaped. The pond in question was quite small, and one would never have guessed it contained such big eels. It must have been over 5lb.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Brian Carragher wrote: Sun Mar 07 2021 08:29 -
stubbojo wrote: Sat Mar 06 2021 23:18 -
Think if it was me I'd be keeping it under wraps and fishing it hard with small roach deads, you could be sat on a winner there

Is there many eel anglers on there
none pal and only me piking as far as i know , dont see anybody in the week
you might get the odd lure angler now and then , its a hard water in winter to get a run to be honest ....
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Happy Hayes wrote: Sun Mar 07 2021 13:25 -
Regards
Tom
And would you believe it that one was caught on a Roach pole when I weren’t even after them :laughs:
Regards
Tom
been after some big perch , and these eels have took live baits as well as deads , had some bigger ones too over 5lb in the past ...... but have spotted a very special one in a small lake in wales when i get back there i will try to target this good fish but there is a lot of them , around the 2lb mark :thumbs:
when i was in my twenty's i used to fish for eels quite a lot but then got into the pike after i had a good pike while eel fishing ..........
around wales there are lots of small waters that dont even get fished lots of abandoned club waters.....some good pike too regarding the size of them too :afraid:
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Post by Lee7499 »

stubbojo wrote: Sun Mar 07 2021 20:00 -
Regards
Tom
Regards
Tom
been after some big perch , and these eels have took live baits as well as deads , had some bigger ones too over 5lb in the past ...... but have spotted a very special one in a small lake in wales when i get back there i will try to target this good fish but there is a lot of them , around the 2lb mark :thumbs:
when i was in my twenty's i used to fish for eels quite a lot but then got into the pike after i had a good pike while eel fishing ..........
around wales there are lots of small waters that dont even get fished lots of abandoned club waters.....some good pike too regarding the size of them too :afraid:
No Pike in Wales ,I have checked numerous waters and not one has Pike . :joker:
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Lee7499 wrote: Sun Mar 07 2021 21:06 -
Regards
Tom
Regards
Tom
:veryevil: :thumbs: :oops:
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Regards
Tom
Regards
Tom
well there is this one
big welsh pike 003.JPG
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Post by Lee7499 »

stubbojo wrote: Tue Mar 09 2021 20:00 -
Regards
Tom
Regards
Tom
well there is this onebig welsh pike 003.JPG :thumbs:
[url https://youtu.be/Z4QQF3tP8r0][/url]

This is more like Wales ( in the description they state its somewhere else to hide the swim ) :laughs:
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Couple of lovely Eels there chaps, really nice! :thumbs:
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

I have'nt caught an eel for 10 years plus, they seem to have become practically extinct in the waters around me here. The last one I ''caught'' was a 3lb+'er that I somehow managed to hook in the vent on a size 12 while tench fishing.
When I was much younger I used to target them, fishing at night with lobs and small deads. 2 waters in particular had some good ones and over time, my best went 5-09, 5-05 and several high 4's.
I miss them, they're an intriguing fish when they get bigger.
Marcraft are for queers.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

BillCollins wrote: Thu Mar 11 2021 20:19 -
I have'nt caught an eel for 10 years plus, they seem to have become practically extinct in the waters around me here. The last one I ''caught'' was a 3lb+'er that I somehow managed to hook in the vent on a size 12 while tench fishing.
When I was much younger I used to target them, fishing at night with lobs and small deads. 2 waters in particular had some good ones and over time, my best went 5-09, 5-05 and several high 4's.
strange that they say they are in decline
the small farm type ponds that i fish and bigger types too say up to 5 acres in size seem to have a very healthy populations of eels
one farm pond i fish is absolutely stuffed with them , if you put a dead bait on even in the daytime its away in minutes.....you even catch on maggots under a float
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

stubbojo wrote: Thu Mar 11 2021 20:35 -
BillCollins wrote: Thu Mar 11 2021 20:19 -
strange that they say they are in decline
the small farm type ponds that i fish and bigger types too say up to 5 acres in size seem to have a very healthy populations of eels
one farm pond i fish is absolutely stuffed with them , if you put a dead bait on even in the daytime its away in minutes.....you even catch on maggots under a float
Apparently, the its the younger ones in most decline. Eels over 2 or three pounds or more can be several decades old. For example, a big 5lber could be over fifty years old, and they can live up to 80.
SamG
Roach
Roach

Post by SamG »

I had a dropped take at the weekend, retrieved the bait and it had two puncture wounds, very neat ones, about an inch or more apart. I guess I ought to know but would this have possibly been a large eel?
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

SamG wrote: Fri Mar 12 2021 11:12 -
I had a dropped take at the weekend, retrieved the bait and it had two puncture wounds, very neat ones, about an inch or more apart. I guess I ought to know but would this have possibly been a large eel?
i have noticed over the years an aborted eel bite normally results in an bait that looks partly flattened and chewed look about it .....just an observation....
SamG
Roach
Roach

Post by SamG »

It was very odd, bar the two puncture wounds the bait was completely untouched.
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Eels don't have teeth like that. No fangs. Sounds like a zander.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Pinkie wrote: Fri Mar 12 2021 14:20 -
Eels don't have teeth like that. No fangs. Sounds like a zander.
my thoughts too :thumbs:
SamG
Roach
Roach

Post by SamG »

Mine too, under normal circumstances but this was from a lake with(almost!) certainly no Zander present.
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

SamG wrote: Fri Mar 12 2021 19:45 -
Mine too, under normal circumstances but this was from a lake with(almost!) certainly no Zander present.
Then it was probably a small pike! :laughs: