Why don't perch take deadbaits then ?

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
IBRADY084
Stickleback
Stickleback

Re: Why don't perch take deadbaits then ?

Post by IBRADY084 »

Try some additive might help somebody said perch hunt by sight so maybe something to enhance the smell 🤔
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

IBRADY084 wrote: Mon Jul 12 2021 16:27 -
Try some additive might help somebody said perch hunt by sight so maybe something to enhance the smell 🤔
been out today eel fishing , caught a nice perch on a rudd head intended for eels ....they will take deads thats a fact
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Sebas wrote: Tue Jun 22 2021 11:13 -
Perch don't take deadbaits? What a load of bollox, my go-to method on my local canal is a dead Gudgeon or Roach, prawns are also a deadbait and one of the best baits there.
Calm down that man. No body is saying they categorically don't take FISH dead baits, f uck me, even carp take fish dead baits, but what is accepted centres on fish dead baits not being a very effective bait for perch. If they were, we'd know it. I hate to think how many hours I have spent jigging dead roach or bleak on fireballs for zander where perch are present and how many perch caught? Not many! Static deads, even less productive.

So, prawns are a dead bait, hmmm :laughs: I think that's stretching the argument a little too far, but 10/10 for effort mate, as the subject matter is about FISH dead baits and a Prawn is of course not a fish, it's an invertebrate. So, based on that theory, is luncheon meat a dead bait too? No need to answer :lol:
Piking Plonker
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Post by Lee7499 »

Mark Phillips wrote: Thu Jul 22 2021 19:42 -
Perch don't take deadbaits? What a load of bollox, my go-to method on my local canal is a dead Gudgeon or Roach, prawns are also a deadbait and one of the best baits there.
Calm down that man. No body is saying they categorically don't take FISH dead baits, f uck me, even carp take fish dead baits, but what is accepted centres on fish dead baits not being a very effective bait for perch. If they were, we'd know it. I hate to think how many hours I have spent jigging dead roach or bleak on fireballs for zander where perch are present and how many perch caught? Not many! Static deads, even less productive.

So, prawns are a dead bait, hmmm :laughs: I think that's stretching the argument a little too far, but 10/10 for effort mate, as the subject matter is about FISH dead baits and a Prawn is of course not a fish, it's an invertebrate. So, based on that theory, is luncheon meat a dead bait too? No need to answer :lol:
So, based on that theory, is luncheon meat a dead bait too? No need to answer :lol:
:boing:
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall
Sebas
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Sebas »

Sorry if I came across a bit rude Mark, wasn't my intention 😆 You're right prawns is a stretch tbf (great bait though)

On the topic of dead FISH baits for Perch I can only talk from my own fishing, dead Gudgeon or small Roach fished on a running ledger is one of the best Big Perch baits I've used :thumbs:
Mmmmmmmm yes
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Sebas wrote: Fri Jul 23 2021 14:30 -

Sorry if I came across a bit rude Mark, wasn't my intention 😆 You're right prawns is a stretch tbf (great bait though)

On the topic of dead FISH baits for Perch I can only talk from my own fishing, dead Gudgeon or small Roach fished on a running ledger is one of the best Big Perch baits I've used :thumbs:
You're OK mate :handshake: You've clearly worked something out, so fair play to you :thumbs: Out of interest - are you fishing running water?

I can honestly say I have caught very few perch on deads and there was a time I was doing a lot of zander fishing with small baits, like gudgeon, bleak and small chub or roach - but never had a single perch doing it. The only perch I have caught on dead fish, mainly on roach or bleak is when mounting the bait to a fireball jig head - then vertically jigging it - but I'd be lying if I said that was dead baiting in the true sense - as I am imparting movement into the bait. Hence my question about running water... cheers.
Piking Plonker
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Targeted perch in crystal clear canals and if I have been able to I feed a bread finely blitzed and let it cloud in the water before dipping my net for small fry ...have had a perch a throw at times but only on canals as rivers I only ever use worms .. size 12-14 hook on 4lb line
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

That Perkins !!! 😂
Sebas
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Sebas »

Mark Phillips wrote: Sat Jul 24 2021 11:08 -
Sebas wrote: Fri Jul 23 2021 14:30 -

You're OK mate :handshake: You've clearly worked something out, so fair play to you :thumbs: Out of interest - are you fishing running water?

I can honestly say I have caught very few perch on deads and there was a time I was doing a lot of zander fishing with small baits, like gudgeon, bleak and small chub or roach - but never had a single perch doing it. The only perch I have caught on dead fish, mainly on roach or bleak is when mounting the bait to a fireball jig head - then vertically jigging it - but I'd be lying if I said that was dead baiting in the true sense - as I am imparting movement into the bait. Hence my question about running water... cheers.
Yep, albeit slow flowing Murky canals, busy with boats for most of the year so plenty of wash from lock use.

I fish a dead simple running rig with a half ounce led, bead and standard wire trace, size 6 or 4 wide gape. Dead Gudgeon fished hard on the bottom, usually around moored boats etc and lay the rod down with bail arm open. Small Roach & Perch work too but they tend to pick up more Pike. Scaled down bass rig really.
Mmmmmmmm yes
Solihullangler
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Solihullangler »

I’ve caught perch on dead’s when eel and zander fishing . And also the run / take has been a screamer usually .

Stick with it and I 100% believe you will catch .
Gary Coggon
Roach
Roach

Post by Gary Coggon »

Putting canals and (often pikeless) commercials to one side for the moment, has anyone had much consistent success with deadbaits by intent for perch between dawn and dusk in large, clear, meso- or oligotrophic stillwaters such as sand/gravel pits, Scottish lochs or in Lake District? If so, what presentation works best? I’ve had some limited success in trying to select for the better fish with static, headless small roach in the Lakes (none below 1.75 lb) but hectic is not really the word for it… Thanks
Gary Coggon
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Coggon wrote: Sat Oct 02 2021 19:30 -
Putting canals and (often pikeless) commercials to one side for the moment, has anyone had much consistent success with deadbaits by intent for perch between dawn and dusk in large, clear, meso- or oligotrophic stillwaters such as sand/gravel pits, Scottish lochs or in Lake District? If so, what presentation works best? I’ve had some limited success in trying to select for the better fish with static, headless small roach in the Lakes (none below 1.75 lb) but hectic is not really the word for it… Thanks
i have had perch on deads in the lakes , but thats if the pike dont take them first , this was quite a while back when you could use dead coarse fish , dont think you can now on certain lakes , dead seabaits and smelts you can use , correct me if its all changed yet again .......some of the well known smaller lakes have nice perch in them if your willing to put the work in .......and it can be hectic ,but maybe for 30 minutes as the light fades....
Last edited by stubbojo on Sat Oct 09 2021 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
somebloke
Roach
Roach

Post by somebloke »

Had one on lamprey today.
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

somebloke wrote: Fri Oct 08 2021 19:13 -
Had one on lamprey today.
Good size ?
Gary Coggon
Roach
Roach

Post by Gary Coggon »

Thanks for your experiences on The Lakes, Stubbojo. Do you mind me asking if popping-up or twitching made a difference?

(And, yes, as far as I can see, Northwest byelaws still include that local rule banning ‘any dead or live freshwater fish, salmonids or eels as bait’ on certain waters to protect rare species such as vendace, schelly et al. The 14 covered by this are [redacted] Hope that’s useful to anyone starting out on The Lakes, as the rules on this and other things like maggot can be a bit of a trip hazard…)
Gary Coggon
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Please note we have a no naming water policy.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Coggon wrote: Sun Oct 10 2021 10:30 -
Thanks for your experiences on The Lakes, Stubbojo. Do you mind me asking if popping-up or twitching made a difference?

(And, yes, as far as I can see, Northwest byelaws still include that local rule banning ‘any dead or live freshwater fish, salmonids or eels as bait’ on certain waters to protect rare species such as vendace, schelly et al. The 14 covered by this are [redacted] Hope that’s useful to anyone starting out on The Lakes, as the rules on this and other things like maggot can be a bit of a trip hazard…)
they where quite keen EA used to turn up nearly every trip down there , as it was mostly weekends they would all descend on the more popular waters
i used to fish a fixed paternoster float set up for the pike , but we had some nice perch to this tactics too , obviously spinners and smallish lure caught there fair share ,but the bigger fish fell to the pike approach by accident even with a heavy set up .......popped up worm worked well too for the perch about 4inch off the bottom
i do remember my mate catching a cracking perch on a small mackerel tail ........on the drop
Gary Coggon
Roach
Roach

Post by Gary Coggon »

Spookily, four inches is exactly the pop-up I’ve arrived at over the last 13 or so years trying to sift out big perch. One and a half big lobs. Having said that, didn’t work this evening though as the wee ones kept scampering off with them first…. Anyway, thanks for your interest, Stubbojo.
Gary Coggon
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Coggon wrote: Mon Oct 11 2021 21:59 -
Spookily, four inches is exactly the pop-up I’ve arrived at over the last 13 or so years trying to sift out big perch. One and a half big lobs. Having said that, didn’t work this evening though as the wee ones kept scampering off with them first…. Anyway, thanks for your interest, Stubbojo.
fish more lobs , pal we fished about 4 to 6 lobs on a largish hook , think the movement of the worms did attract the bigger perch .......even the odd pike took this set up ....
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

just got back from fishing after eels and perch , but the pike are nailing my baits
had the underwater camera down there on a dead bait and 3 or 4 perch are trying to eat my deads ,not big enough to swallow them , but if they were any bigger they would of
will try to upload it and put it on here , but having a few problems with my PC at the moment so it could be a while .......
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

you know when you get those twitchy bites when pike fishing , and if these fish where a big bigger ,they would have swallowed the bait
but perch dont take dead baits.......
vlcsnap-2021-10-17-17h56m02s5.png
vlcsnap-2021-10-17-18h09m28s124.png
big tench coming into view
vlcsnap-2018-10-30-21h43m52s464.png
the perch are always there on this venue
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

I've seen eels following crankbaits in when chubbing in the summer but I wouldnt count them as a method for eels.

From what I've seen and read over the years most dead-bait caught perch appear to come from either hungry pastie pits or coloured water.

Like Mark I 've spent a lot of time fishing fresh deads for other species and I have never caught a perch on one myself.

Someone mentioned catching them at night too and again, despite having fished lives/deads/lures in darkness, I have never caught a perch at night.

Ergo personally I wouldnt bother fishing either at night or with deads for perch on the waters I fish, or have fished.
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

I have done rather well on popped up dead baits for perch, little perch as bait were good, also caught a few with fish on the deck. If I wanted a bite it would be a livey though!
The "enduced take" tempted a few as well.

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Gary Coggon
Roach
Roach

Post by Gary Coggon »

Alan, I remember you posting in the past on your success with perch deadbaits for big perch but was never sure what sort of waters they were. Were they just the aforesaid ‘mucky commercials’ and canals or did it extend to larger, clearer waters like the ones I mentioned earlier in the thread?
Gary Coggon
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Coggon wrote: Mon Dec 13 2021 13:30 -
Alan, I remember you posting in the past on your success with perch deadbaits for big perch but was never sure what sort of waters they were. Were they just the aforesaid ‘mucky commercials’ and canals or did it extend to larger, clearer waters like the ones I mentioned earlier in the thread?
One was a very clear resi and also on the river Great Ouse, like pike, perch are very cannibalistic and I believe they are the best bait for big perch.

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

perch for perch by far the best bait...
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

My best perch have come on perch looking lures
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Taffypiker wrote: Tue Dec 14 2021 11:34 -
i have watched perch feeding at really close range and on the water wolf , on waters i fish they hunt down and feed predominately on small perch about 50mm in size
this is perch over the 1lb mark , but they will take quite large live roach...... as i found out earlier in the year :pipe:
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

stubbojo wrote: Tue Dec 14 2021 20:06 -
i have watched perch feeding at really close range and on the water wolf , on waters i fish they hunt down and feed predominately on small perch about 50mm in size
this is perch over the 1lb mark , but they will take quite large live roach...... as i found out earlier in the year :pipe:
Whenever I bring in a perch imitation lure , small perch follow it in , nipping at it
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Taffypiker wrote: Tue Dec 14 2021 21:15 -
stubbojo wrote: Tue Dec 14 2021 20:06 -
Whenever I bring in a perch imitation lure , small perch follow it in , nipping at it
they like eating there own without a doubt :thumbs: