Worm hooks for eels

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Re: Worm hooks for eels

Post by stubbojo »

John Milford wrote: Sun Jun 13 2021 01:13 -
stubbojo wrote: Sat Jun 12 2021 21:31 -

bloody hell john ,never thought they were that old , they look mint in the box , just trying to remember when i acquired these from
so they could be over 122 years old john , have i got that right john..thanks for that well informed info
Yes, 120+ years old Steve. Very old items that are put away and forgotten about for many decades sometimes belie their age, especially if they've been kept somewhere dry and we'll protected. Rare to find though, in such very good nick as yours!
its surprising what you buy over the years and put away and forget-about....will have a rummage around to see if i have anything else hidden....
Fitas
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Fitas »

I use size 7 or 8s for all my eeling with worms . Size 2s and 4s things off the past ,,
The_Saint
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by The_Saint »

many moons ago in the days of the BEAC, worm hooks were mustard brand with barbs up the shank to hold the worms in place whilst casting out
from the skool of hard knox and the university of life
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

The_Saint wrote: Thu Jun 17 2021 10:44 -
many moons ago in the days of the BEAC, worm hooks were mustard brand with barbs up the shank to hold the worms in place whilst casting out
I don't know whether it was due to severe over-exposure to moonlight, or something like that, but all the guys I remember who were in the BEAC were . . . . how can I put this politely . . . . slightly 'touched'. :clown:

(I used to think pike anglers were an odd bunch - until I met a few eel fanatics! :laughs:

Micky Bowles. Brian Sweet. I rest my case! :joker:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

John Milford wrote: Thu Jun 17 2021 11:22 -
The_Saint wrote: Thu Jun 17 2021 10:44 -
I don't know whether it was due to severe over-exposure to moonlight, or something like that, but all the guys I remember who were in the BEAC were . . . . how can I put this politely . . . . slightly 'touched'. :clown:

(I used to think pike anglers were an odd bunch - until I met a few eel fanatics! :laughs:

Micky Bowles. Brian Sweet. I rest my case! :joker:
:point:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Bloody hook sizes!

Down to my last two Owner C-5X in size 6 which I've been using with worms the last couple of sessions but had no more. Still had some packets of Owner C-4 though - but no size 6. However, a C-4 in a 4 is exactly the same size as a C-5X in a 6. :dizzy:

very similar shape too and strong enough to land double figure barbel so should do the trick fro the eels.

I've noticed when browsing the carp hook sections that the hooks seem a lot larger for a stated size than hook used to. I've wondered if this is to overcome some commercial fishery rules which have ridiculously small maximum hook sizes. :shrug:

I've also noticed that there are some nice patterns made fopr carp fishing, but they're not available in 'tench' sizes for which they'd be ideal. :cry:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

davelumb wrote: Tue Jun 22 2021 10:26 -
Bloody hook sizes!

Down to my last two Owner C-5X in size 6 which I've been using with worms the last couple of sessions but had no more. Still had some packets of Owner C-4 though - but no size 6. However, a C-4 in a 4 is exactly the same size as a C-5X in a 6. :dizzy:

very similar shape too and strong enough to land double figure barbel so should do the trick fro the eels.

I've noticed when browsing the carp hook sections that the hooks seem a lot larger for a stated size than hook used to. I've wondered if this is to overcome some commercial fishery rules which have ridiculously small maximum hook sizes. :shrug:

I've also noticed that there are some nice patterns made fopr carp fishing, but they're not available in 'tench' sizes for which they'd be ideal. :cry:
just bought some korda hooks size 4 micro barb ,,,they look huge,very sharp and strong should be ideal for perch and eels
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

John Milford wrote: Sun Jun 13 2021 01:13 -
stubbojo wrote: Sat Jun 12 2021 21:31 -

bloody hell john ,never thought they were that old , they look mint in the box , just trying to remember when i acquired these from
so they could be over 122 years old john , have i got that right john..thanks for that well informed info
Yes, 120+ years old Steve. Very old items that are put away and forgotten about for many decades sometimes belie their age, especially if they've been kept somewhere dry and we'll protected. Rare to find though, in such very good nick as yours!
i might even try one of those hooks they look strong enough for the job
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

stubbojo wrote: Tue Jun 22 2021 18:20 -
Bloody hook sizes!

just bought some korda hooks size 4 micro barb ,,,they look huge,very sharp and strong should be ideal for perch and eels
Which pattern?
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

davelumb wrote: Sat Jul 10 2021 16:44 -
stubbojo wrote: Tue Jun 22 2021 18:20 -
Bloody hook sizes!

Which pattern?
sorry dave ....the ones in my old box ...if you pardon the expression.....what do you think of me eel dave finally had a better fish
Fitas
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Fitas »

The NAC lads are getting behind lip hook for eels campaign . Now using very short hook links and small hooks 8s using the twig rigs or bolt rigs. The trick is to fish small parts of worm not have them dangling all over the place . This gives less miss runs and hook eel in the bottom lips,
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Fitas wrote: Sun Jul 25 2021 20:23 -
The NAC lads are getting behind lip hook for eels campaign . Now using very short hook links and small hooks 8s using the twig rigs or bolt rigs. The trick is to fish small parts of worm not have them dangling all over the place . This gives less miss runs and hook eel in the bottom lips,

Interesting post.

Using a 3" hooklength of 12lb flouro and a single red maggot on a size 16 Lumby bolt rig all my eels have come to the bank lip hooked.
Next time out I will try it with a bit of worm, nothing to loose Im only pleasure fishing.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Fitas wrote: Sun Jul 25 2021 20:23 -
Cheers, I'll give this a try next time I fish for eels!