Interesting predator activity

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Interesting predator activity

Post by Mike J »

I disposed of a few old baits the other day.
Just stood on a bridge and dropped them individually into a river, some sunk and some floated slowly away or wandered around in a side eddy.
At first the sinkers attracted some nice Perch along with a few juveniles but although clearly very interested they didn't pick up any. Next some Chub appeared and snatched at a few moving them around but like the Perch not eating any. Lastly a couple of jacks arrived and immediately ate 4-5 (all head first) but not everything.
But it was the floaters that were even more interesting, first a few were taken down by 2-3lb Chub, then a biggish 6+ appeared and very gently took two, quickly followed by a decent pike which seemed to take everything else in big noisy swirls.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Re: Interesting predator activity

Post by Pinkie »

Mike J wrote: Sun Aug 29 2021 11:01 -
Just stood on a bridge and dropped them individually into a river, some sunk and some floated slowly away or wandered around in a side eddy.
At first the sinkers attracted some nice Perch along with a few juveniles but although clearly very interested they didn't pick up any. Next some Chub appeared and snatched at a few moving them around but like the Perch not eating any. Lastly a couple of jacks arrived and immediately ate 4-5 (all head first) but not everything.
But it was the floaters that were even more interesting, first a few were taken down by 2-3lb Chub, then a biggish 6+ appeared and very gently took two, quickly followed by a decent pike which seemed to take everything else in big noisy swirls.

Bet you wished you'd taken your fishing rod. :laughs:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Re: Interesting predator activity

Post by stubbojo »

Mike J wrote: Sun Aug 29 2021 11:01 -

probably looked very natural floating/moving down the river, rather then tethered like the norm
i myself have noticed as of late...... a lot of pike activity......