Spinning for trout

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Spinning for trout

Post by Taffypiker »

Coggon wrote: Wed Dec 08 2021 15:55 -
Very much as Slug has said. My UL outfit for the small (rarely reach a pound) but beautiful brown trout in the high Cumbrian tarns is a 1-5 g, 6’3” Savage Gear Parabellum, 1000-size Shimano Sahara reel and 10 lb Powerpro braid, which’ll flick a 00 to 1 Mepps, 3.5 cm Salmo Hornet or 4g Toby 20 or so metres quite nicely. One thing I’d add is to think about balancing casting power vs ‘give’ to counter trout’s tendency to hit, do acrobatics and throw the hook. Softness of the Parabellum helps markedly with hook-up rate. Oh, and consider reducing trebles to one or two points. I do it by bending the points inwards to touch the shank, so preserving casting weight. Hope that helps….
You are saying use a progressive or moderate rod rather than a fast action ?
Gary Coggon
Roach
Roach

Post by Gary Coggon »

In my experience, yes, exactly that. And I’d be interested to know what others have found.
Gary Coggon
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Carpkingpike wrote: Mon Dec 06 2021 22:01 -
Got a lot of small streams near me that are stuffed with little brown trout, had a few good days this year spinning for them but I'm a bit overgunned with my rod and reel. Plan is to get the missus to sort me a new dedicated ultralight set up for Christmas. Any recommendations from you guys :cheers:
I've not fished for trout with lures for a while now, preference is to fly fish. When I did I used a 7ft G Loomis IMX weighted 1/32 to 3/16 Oz. Paired with a Shimano Rarenium. I only used small cranks, switched from braid to mono though. If you want to push the boat out and spoil yourself it's a lovely little rod. Model number SR841-2 it's there Trout/Panfish range.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Sebas
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Sebas »

Needhams sells the UL stuff you're after
Mmmmmmmm yes
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

Monts wrote: Wed Dec 08 2021 12:44 -
Will Smith wrote: Wed Dec 08 2021 12:38 -
Pinkie wrote: Tue Dec 07 2021 21:33 -
Will Smith wrote: Tue Dec 07 2021 19:58 -
Pinkie wrote: Tue Dec 07 2021 10:04 -
I'd try fly fishing for them. Much more fun. Spinning for them is by far too easy! And not that sporting!
I'd try fly fishing for them. Fair enough. Much more fun. Matter of opinion surely, and you are entitled to yours no matter how misguided. Spinning for them is by far too easy! b******s. And not that sporting ! F u c k Off ! Or should I say matter of opinion surely !

Just my opinion.

Will.
Chill out before you have a heart attack! The fact that you took my opinion so personally says volumes about you! Try fly fishing for trout for a few hours compared to spinning and you'll get a better insight into what I wrote. Better than blowing your top off over something so trivial! :laughs:

Obviously debateing isn't one of your strengths! :laughs:

Too easy and not sporting! Why do you think spinning for trout is banned on many waters? Because it really is too easy compared to fly fishing and this is what makes it not sporting! It's akin to trotting for trout with maggots. :laughs:

Just my opinion so calm yourself down! :laughs:

Chill out before you have a heart attack! Perfectly chilled thank you.The fact that you took my opinion so personally says volumes about you! Does it, that is interesting, however, I did not take your comments personally at all. Try fly fishing for trout for a few hours compared to spinning and you'll get a better insight into what I wrote. I have fly fished for many hours for trout, my original comments still stand, Better than blowing your top off over something so trivial! :laughs: Certainly did not blow my top.

Obviously debateing isn't one of your strengths! :laughs: Perhaps not, however I have found that trying to debating anything with certain individuals is futile.

Too easy and not sporting! Again, may I say b******s ! Why do you think spinning for trout is banned on many waters? IMO, because of the ethos and attitude of many fly fishing clubs. Because it really is too easy compared to fly fishing and this is what makes it not sporting! No easier to catch with spinner than fly IMO, I have been outfished by fly fishers an many an occasion. Its akin to trotting for trout with maggots :laughs: . If you say so, you are sure to be correct !

Just my opinion so calm yourself down! :laughs: Which as I said, you are perfectly entitled to.

Will.

Will,

Having met you, your a proper old skool country dressed gent, a little like Bilbo Baggins in Tweed. :grin: Just foe the c**t as I have, all he is good for is winding people up. And upskirting pupils where he works. :thumbs:
Thank you for that piece of sound advice :thumbs: .

Will.
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

Mike J wrote: Wed Dec 08 2021 11:37 -

Of course it is not, your speaking like someone who has had some very unfortunate experiences.

I fly fish one of the most famous chalk streams in England where upstream dry fly is the only method permitted.

You don’t keep record of your PB sanitary towel then 😀
Very different fishing.
Last edited by Slug on Wed Dec 08 2021 18:44, edited 1 time in total.
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Taffypiker wrote: Wed Dec 08 2021 16:08 -
Coggon wrote: Wed Dec 08 2021 15:55 -
Very much as Slug has said. My UL outfit for the small (rarely reach a pound) but beautiful brown trout in the high Cumbrian tarns is a 1-5 g, 6’3” Savage Gear Parabellum, 1000-size Shimano Sahara reel and 10 lb Powerpro braid, which’ll flick a 00 to 1 Mepps, 3.5 cm Salmo Hornet or 4g Toby 20 or so metres quite nicely. One thing I’d add is to think about balancing casting power vs ‘give’ to counter trout’s tendency to hit, do acrobatics and throw the hook. Softness of the Parabellum helps markedly with hook-up rate. Oh, and consider reducing trebles to one or two points. I do it by bending the points inwards to touch the shank, so preserving casting weight. Hope that helps….
You are saying use a progressive or moderate rod rather than a fast action ?
I see what you mean
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

i find a trout fly spinner is a wonderful way to catch trout, i have some lovely vintage ones...... i have a 4 weight greys which handles them well....even bigger fish are easily tamed on it ......i would say a moderate action fits the bill... :thumbs:
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Agree a softish rod and mono better to avoid bouncing them off.
(But not as soft as the ABU Devil!)
Peter Newman
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

As kids we would carry a fixed spool reel in the bag and use it on the fly rod if we swapped to spinning or worm.
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

peteren wrote: Fri Dec 10 2021 09:41 -
Agree a softish rod and mono better to avoid bouncing them off.
(But not as soft as the ABU Devil!)
OK I have a 7 ft 5 to 15 abu devil for my river trouting

It is soft

What would you suggest I use ?

Open to suggestions
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Maybe the devil is suitable for trout - if it has enough backbone to handle bigger ones?

Current UL rods not my area of expertise; I like my (discontinued) Dragon Guide select 3 - 15g for my lightest trout and perching.
Peter Newman
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

peteren wrote: Fri Dec 10 2021 17:50 -
Maybe the devil is suitable for trout - if it has enough backbone to handle bigger ones?

Current UL rods not my area of expertise; I like my (discontinued) Dragon Guide select 3 - 15g for my lightest trout and perching.
But not perch and pike ?

The trout run to 4 pound in this river , mostly small ones but also bigger chub and small pike
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Taffypiker wrote: Fri Dec 10 2021 20:01 -

But not perch and pike ?

The trout run to 4 pound in this river , mostly small ones but also bigger chub and small pike
had a 16lb pike on me dropshot rod last year ....got it in sharpish too , but i use 20lb braid for my dropshotting ,just in case....
catch small perch and pike no probs really ....... :afraid:
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

stubbojo wrote: Fri Dec 10 2021 21:00 -
Taffypiker wrote: Fri Dec 10 2021 20:01 -

But not perch and pike ?

had a 16lb pike on me dropshot rod last year ....got it in sharpish too , but i use 20lb braid for my dropshotting ,just in case....
catch small perch and pike no probs really ....... :afraid:
Whats it weighted ?
TopsyCrettz
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by TopsyCrettz »

Hi all,

I'm a new angler and really want to get in to spinning on rivers. But I've been searching for days where spinning is allowed on rivers and really struggling to find information it all seems very complicated. Is there a place with information about where spinning on rivers is allowed. I'm based in south wales but don't mind going down to around Bristol Area. If anyone can help me will be amazing! Thanks!
Carpkingpike
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Carpkingpike »

Hi topsy
I've just moved to south Wales so would be interested in anything you find. There's some good still waters nearby that allow lure fishing if you struggle with the rivers. There's also a few fly fisheries near me that I was thinking of talking to, maybe they will allow lures if I get a number of people on a specific day/evening. Let me know if you would be interested
Carpkingpike
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Carpkingpike »

If you want any info on the stillwaters, pm me