River close season

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
FisheryPokery
Stickleback
Stickleback

River close season

Post by FisheryPokery »

Hi guys,

I want to join a local club who have the rights to a river near me.
The river is a spate river that has trout, salmon, chub, perch and possibly pike.

I would like to fish for the pike but believe they are super rare so have decided to spin for perch and hopefully chub, and if I get a pike it will be a bonus.
I will use a wire trace in case there are any pike.

The coarse close season happens in two weeks, so I will only be able to do it until then.

I don’t want to fly fish for trout, but would like to spin for them with a spinner, which having read the bylaws is ok.
If I do this with a wire trace, would it not just look to anyone else’s like I am targeting perch still?
Does using wire suggest I am targeting coarse fish?
Or for that matter, am I not just as likely to still be catching coarse fish?
I don’t want to keep any trout, just release them, but could I be accused of targeting Salmon or migratory trout if I am spinning?

Or is all of the above morally wrong, and I just need to find some still waters that don’t have a closed season to fish(which for some reason seem to mostly ban spinning where I am)?

I’m not trying to upset anyone with this post, or trying to pull a fast one, or do anything illegal, so if it is wrong I just won’t do it. I am just genuinely interested in peoples thoughts before I make the final decision on buying a season ticket.

Thanks for any advice.
“My biggest worry is that when I’m dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.” – Koos Brandt
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: River close season

Post by Mike J »

The EA bailiffs do not look at the wire trace they examine the lure your using.

A real life example of what happened when we recently experienced a big run of sea trout. The run brought the fish eaters out in force and the EA responded as the fish were out of season. Anyone caught using a trout/gamefish type lure or with dead fish was dealt with eg; 40+ according to reports.
I have witnessed EA bailiffs prosecute an angler for not having a migratory fish licence when the person was using a Mepps during the river coarse fish season.

I spin for game species and always use a wire trace, self made from 40lb AFW Surflon.

Hope this helps :handshake:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

I think you're being very responsible - bye-laws say ok to spin for trout; trace sensible pike precaution; all good IMHO.
Peter Newman
FisheryPokery
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by FisheryPokery »

Mike J wrote: Thu Feb 24 2022 13:54 -

A real life example of what happened when we recently experienced a big run of sea trout. The run brought the fish eaters out in force and the EA responded as the fish were out of season. Anyone caught using a trout/gamefish type lure or with dead fish was dealt with eg; 40+ according to reports.
I have witnessed EA bailiffs prosecute an angler for not having a migratory fish licence when the person was using a Mepps during the river coarse fish season.

I spin for game species and always use a wire trace, self made from 40lb AFW Surflon.

Thanks Mike.

Reading that makes me think it might be more of an issue if I spin during the close season with a normal rod license, as it might be thought I am targeting migratory fish rather than just trout?
Also it might be a bigger issue if I genuinely am target coarse fish during the normal season, as it might be thought I’m not.

Do you think I would I be better getting a migratory license even though I am not targeting them, nor will take one, just so I am definitely covered?

Thanks for your help
“My biggest worry is that when I’m dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.” – Koos Brandt
FisheryPokery
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by FisheryPokery »

peteren wrote: Thu Feb 24 2022 14:32 -
I think you're being very responsible - bye-laws say ok to spin for trout; trace sensible pike precaution; all good IMHO.
Thanks for your help Peter 👍
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

FisheryPokery wrote: Thu Feb 24 2022 19:02 -

Thanks Mike.

Reading that makes me think it might be more of an issue if I spin during the close season with a normal rod license, as it might be thought I am targeting migratory fish rather than just trout?
Also it might be a bigger issue if I genuinely am target coarse fish during the normal season, as it might be thought I’m not.

Do you think I would I be better getting a migratory license even though I am not targeting them, nor will take one, just so I am definitely covered?

Thanks for your help
sack it and fish june the 16th :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Play by the rules and you will be fine, barbless hooks may be an idea.

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Thanks Mike.

Thanks for your help

Two options.
Buy the ML and your covered whatever happens. With an ML you do you not require a (coarse) rod licence.
Phone the EA regional enforcement team and ask their advice, take a note of the time, date and name of who you spoke to for future reference if needed.

If you do catch any coarse fish during the close season don't take photographs, that way your covering yourself from any potential accusations.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
FisheryPokery
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by FisheryPokery »

Mike J wrote: Fri Feb 25 2022 13:01 -

Thanks Mike.

Thanks for your help

Two options.
Buy the ML and your covered whatever happens. With an ML you do you not require a (coarse) rod licence.
Phone the EA regional enforcement team and ask their advice, take a note of the time, date and name of who you spoke to for future reference if needed.

If you do catch any coarse fish during the close season don't take photographs, that way your covering yourself from any potential accusations.

Thanks Mike, I have bought the Migratory License and emailed the EA who are looking into it for me.

Better safe than sorry. 🤞
FisheryPokery
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by FisheryPokery »

Just out of interest, I bought a migratory license yesterday, ahead of a guided boat trip on a very large North West Water from a boat.

Today was the first time I can ever remember having my license checked, and it was in February on a very choppy and quiet day on a boat, which I would have assumed would be the last place I would be checked.

They also checked if we had only salt water baits (which we did).
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

FisheryPokery wrote: Sat Feb 26 2022 20:26 -
Just out of interest, I bought a migratory license yesterday, ahead of a guided boat trip on a very large North West Water from a boat.

Today was the first time I can ever remember having my license checked, and it was in February on a very choppy and quiet day on a boat, which I would have assumed would be the last place I would be checked.

sounds like a water i know..... sea dead baits only .....when you say checked you..... actually on the water or before you boarded the boat ....... :shrug:
FisheryPokery
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by FisheryPokery »

stubbojo wrote: Tue Mar 01 2022 21:59 -
FisheryPokery wrote: Sat Feb 26 2022 20:26 -

sounds like a water i know..... sea dead baits only .....when you say checked you..... actually on the water or before you boarded the boat ....... :shrug:
On the water, a blue Orkney.

We thought it was just someone seeing how we were doing until they got close and asked.

They were nice guys though.