Pike killer

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Re: Pike killer

Post by stubbojo »

does not make any sense keeping them in an flooded area .......why would you do that
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

If you don't know that area :scratch:

You can walk to it or go up the river and get to it :wink:

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson :smile:

To that one soul reading this
I know your tired fed up and close to braking
But theres strength within you even when you feel week
You've come too far to give up now
Stay strong and keep fighting
c14r4n
Roach
Roach

Post by c14r4n »

stubbojo wrote: Sat Mar 05 2022 20:39 -
does not make any sense keeping them in an flooded area .......why would you do that
Exactly, he didn't catch from this "flooded area" so why put them back there? Is 6 inches of a muddy field any better than a keepnet? Comes back to the complete apathy of the bailiffs, if this guy thought there was any chance of seeing a bailiff he wouldn't have taken the risk of a) sharing this photo and b) messing around retaining fish for some "potential" photo
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

c14r4n wrote: Sun Mar 06 2022 00:40 -
stubbojo wrote: Sat Mar 05 2022 20:39 -
Exactly, he didn't catch from this "flooded area" so why put them back there? Is 6 inches of a muddy field any better than a keepnet? Comes back to the complete apathy of the bailiffs, if this guy thought there was any chance of seeing a bailiff he wouldn't have taken the risk of a) sharing this photo and b) messing around retaining fish for some "potential" photo
that was my polnt , they have not gone back these fish , even someone with half a brain would not move them from where ever, boat or bank :shrug: and take photos in a flooded field nar not having it ....out and out poacher...if not a serious numpty angler....
Sean Roberts
Roach
Roach

Post by Sean Roberts »

Shouldn't keep multiple pike for pictures, I understand maybe a double hook up but that guys got 5. Ridiculous
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

Sean Roberts wrote: Wed Mar 23 2022 20:20 -
Shouldn't keep multiple pike for pictures, I understand maybe a double hook up but that guys got 5. Ridiculous
They are dead, photographing them all together would go some way to saving some wear and tear on the shutter button.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Sat Mar 26 2022 18:56 -
They are dead, photographing them all together would go some way to saving some wear and tear on the shutter button.
good point steve :suspect:
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

stubbojo wrote: Sat Mar 26 2022 21:48 -
Steve Le maitre wrote: Sat Mar 26 2022 18:56 -
good point steve :suspect:
What else for a sick picture than a bit of dark humour :suspect:
John66
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by John66 »

Marks comments above are correct from what i heard when the FB was posted, the Guy who shared the post is not who actually caught these pike and is quite a well known Lomond angler who does care for the pike and posted to try and get a name to pass on to the bailiffs but apparently there was around 6 so called pike anglers all Scottish who caught them between themselves have no idea of the timescale between the catches or how long they were kept in the floodwater.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

still cant get my head around why they would keep them all together , not as if they were all caught at the same time , more like netted all together at the same time ...nawwww
Mr Ferox
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Mr Ferox »

Is the fellas name Marek Starek? Surely should not be too difficult to find out who he is. Would his name suggest he is from Eastern Europe?

Where I live in Northern Highlands. Eastern Europe fishers and Polish in particular were and still are responsible for killing big numbers of pike . Big pregnant females, small Jack's, one killed a 12lb Ferox and when he was seen chapping it on the head and asked what he was doing , replied killing his dinner and didn't even know what species of fish it was.
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Mr Ferox wrote: Mon Jul 04 2022 14:46 -
Is the fellas name Marek Starek? Surely should not be too difficult to find out who he is. Would his name suggest he is from Eastern Europe?

Where I live in Northern Highlands. Eastern Europe fishers and Polish in particular were and still are responsible for killing big numbers of pike . Big pregnant females, small Jack's, one killed a 12lb Ferox and when he was seen chapping it on the head and asked what he was doing , replied killing his dinner and didn't even know what species of fish it was.
Seen kids early one morning at Luss hauling a pike up the 8’ onto the pier and killing it and carting it off in a net, that was not during school holidays so imagine the fun they have when they don’t have school.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

if its a food item , it wont mater if it was the record fish of all time ......surely these guys are not starving to death......
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Something to think about :scratch:
If someone asks the question why they are catching pike of sub 10lb fish in their LAKE the reply’s are usually something has caused an imbalance within the population usually through predation.
There did seem to be many small pike even out in open deep water, so obviously comfortable that their not getting eaten naturally, until hooked.
What I found disturbing is the (and I’m not including pike anglers like myself who respect the welfare of the pike) is the attitude of some locals and the rangers that it is still acceptable to chap fish on the head regardless of species.
With the lack of the big Salmon how many get chapped when a pike dares to pick up one of their lures.
One things for sure they do like a Myth up there. The amount of 2m long monsters of the deep stories we were told was laughable :laughs: some need more water with their 🥃 :pipe:
Andy Carpenter
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Cyprio wrote: Tue Jul 05 2022 10:31 -
If someone asks the question why they are catching pike of sub 10lb fish in their LAKE the reply’s are usually something has caused an imbalance within the population usually through predation.
There did seem to be many small pike even out in open deep water, so obviously comfortable that their not getting eaten naturally, until hooked.
What I found disturbing is the (and I’m not including pike anglers like myself who respect the welfare of the pike) is the attitude of some locals and the rangers that it is still acceptable to chap fish on the head regardless of species.
With the lack of the big Salmon how many get chapped when a pike dares to pick up one of their lures.
One things for sure they do like a Myth up there. The amount of 2m long monsters of the deep stories we were told was laughable :laughs: some need more water with their 🥃 :pipe:
food for thought , just thinking all or most of us can remember good pike waters where you could catch a 20lb fish and plenty of high doubles .......
back in the day there was the odd carp in these venues , not anymore they are now full of carp and big ones too...
my kio carp in my pond will eat any fish say under 50mm maybe bigger , does anybody think the big carp explosion has been detrimental to the pike numbers
these carp could be eating the pike fry in really big numbers probably not just pike fry tench fry too ,any thought on this :shrug: carp could be pike killers too
i know most fish could eat each other at some stage of development , but the amount of carp going in these venue is frightening......
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

stubbojo wrote: Tue Jul 05 2022 23:22 -
Cyprio wrote: Tue Jul 05 2022 10:31 -
food for thought , just thinking all or most of us can remember good pike waters where you could catch a 20lb fish and plenty of high doubles .......
back in the day there was the odd carp in these venues , not anymore they are now full of carp and big ones too...
my kio carp in my pond will eat any fish say under 50mm maybe bigger , does anybody think the big carp explosion has been detrimental to the pike numbers
these carp could be eating the pike fry in really big numbers probably not just pike fry tench fry too ,any thought on this :shrug: carp could be pike killers too
i know most fish could eat each other at some stage of development , but the amount of carp going in these venue is frightening......
one venue I fish for eels the carp will eat live and dead roach 3-- 4oz, full or halved, feckin nuisance
Mr Ferox
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Mr Ferox »

Really? I thought carp were strictly boilies, flaked bread etc. Didn't know they had a dark streak in them!
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Kev Berry wrote: Thu Jul 07 2022 17:10 -
one venue I fish for eels the carp will eat live and dead roach 3-- 4oz, full or halved, feckin nuisance
How big are the carp? :eek:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Steve Dennington wrote: Fri Jul 08 2022 22:57 -
Biggest I have had is 19lb
Heres a pic of the first one I caught...only took it cos I was astounded at catching it on half a roach
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Kev Berry wrote: Sat Jul 09 2022 00:19 -
Heres a pic of the first one I caught...only took it cos I was astounded at catching it on half a roach
Have you caught carp on fish baits anywhere else? It's not something I've ever experienced.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Steve Dennington wrote: Sat Jul 09 2022 00:32 -
Kev Berry wrote: Sat Jul 09 2022 00:19 -
Have you caught carp on fish baits anywhere else? It's not something I've ever experienced.
No only this pond.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Kev Berry wrote: Sat Jul 09 2022 00:44 -
No only this pond.
Too many fishmeal baits gone in there, maybe! :laughs:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Steve Dennington wrote: Sat Jul 09 2022 01:09 -
No only this pond.
Its a bit of a noddy pond...but the little beck that feeds it eventually goes into the Trent, which is where the eels came from
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Kev Berry wrote: Sat Jul 09 2022 01:13 -
Steve Dennington wrote: Sat Jul 09 2022 01:09 -
No only this pond.
Its a bit of a noddy pond...but the little beck that feeds it eventually goes into the Trent, which is where the eels came from
Carp will certainly take many odd things, including fish, at times (I think Mark Barrett had a 30+ on a livebait from memory?). It would be a first for me though.
Cod
Perch
Perch

Post by Cod »

I hooked a Carp fairly and square in the mouth, while using a small Roach live bait.

( Intended for Perch face ).
Learning is a gift.
fenland piker
Roach
Roach

Post by fenland piker »

I have caught carp on lives and deads in the past and several times on small lures like a mepps.

As a youth I fished a local gravel pit that had been dug less than 15 years, where you could regularly catch larger roach, hybrids and even tench on a small mepps while targeting perch. After pike were introduced we rarely caught anything except perch and jacks on lures.

Most course fish will be actively predatory under certain circumstances. We used to see larger Roach and bream fry feeding on the trout fisheries at certain times of year if other food was scarce and barbel will often take a ledgered minnow intended for chub.

When I studied fisheries management the general theory was that a healthy ecosystem within a fishery would balance to around 25% of its biomass being predatory in some form. That might be as scavengers of sick or dead fish, or as active predators. Any more than that and the predators would struggle, any less and the fishery was prone to disease, stunted populations and fish kills.
Carp have a negative effect on the ecosystem they inhabit by the amount of rooting around they do. I acts as an environmental modifier where the habitat becomes more and more suitable for them and less suitable for other species.
bio-haul
Roach
Roach

Post by bio-haul »

One season, had tench a number of times on roach livebaits. Put it down to post spawning activity.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Mr Ferox wrote: Fri Jul 08 2022 22:54 -
Really? I thought carp were strictly boilies, flaked bread etc. Didn't know they had a dark streak in them!
they actively seek out the fry in my garden pond say up to 2 or 3 inch long..... :thumbs:
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

Mr Ferox wrote: Mon Jul 04 2022 14:46 -

Marek Starek is the one highlighting the post. I know him, he's one of the good guys.
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

did anybody know the guy in the picture and his storey